Adopted Children

Sidney Katzen

Hello.  I have an adopted person on a database I am creating for a friend. I have given her an adopted attribute for one set of 'parent' and also given her a second set of (birth) parents.  However, when I generate trees/charts for ancestors of her daughter, it always show her adopted parents (which I put in first).  Is there a way to correct this?

Lorna Craig

Hi Sidney,

Open the Property Box for the adopted person and go to the All tab. There will be two Parents family entries.  Select one of them and use the up/down arrows at top right to change the order so that the birth parents family is the first one.

By the way if you create a diagram with the adopted person as the diagram root FH asks you to select which set of parents you want to display.  But because you are generating a diagram with her daughter as the root FH simply uses whichever set of parents comes first in the underlying data.

Lorna

On 04/11/2020 17:31, Sidney Katzen wrote:
Hello.  I have an adopted person on a database I am creating for a friend. I have given her an adopted attribute for one set of 'parent' and also given her a second set of (birth) parents. However, when I generate trees/charts for ancestors of her daughter, it always show her adopted parents (which I put in first).  Is there a way to correct this?

Sidney Katzen

Thank you so much! This is certainly a sophisticated software package!

gsbookseller@...

Thank you so very much! Would I now be able to trace back the lineage of the adoptive parents? Right now I only see how to move back on the birth parents (who I have as you indicate).

Greg

David Dewick

I have researched my adoptive and step parents and my biological parents, and have them all in the same project. It is quite straightforward to flag the adoptive/step parent relationship in FH so that you can view whichever part of the tree you are interested in.