Adding sources/citations - clarification

Alison Knight

I have recently come to Family Historian v7 after being a long term user of both Legacy and Rootsmagic. I am gradually becoming more familiar with the program and learning my way around it. I have a question or clarification of the procedures to add sources and citations. I find it weird to not click on a 'save' button when I have finished entering a citation or adding a source. (I am using the templated sources.) Is it right to enter the data and then just close the window? The information seems to be adding but it feels wrong somehow. My brain wants to click on 'ok' or 'save'.
Regards,
Alison

Jenny Cochrane

You are quite right. You do not need to click a 'save' button when adding to sources or citations.
There are some functions such as Notes where there is an OK or Apply button and FH will prompt you to use these both of which perform a 'save' type function.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 at 4:10, Alison Knight
<knightresearchservices@...> wrote:
I have recently come to Family Historian v7 after being a long term user of both Legacy and Rootsmagic. I am gradually becoming more familiar with the program and learning my way around it. I have a question or clarification of the procedures to add sources and citations. I find it weird to not click on a 'save' button when I have finished entering a citation or adding a source. (I am using the templated sources.) Is it right to enter the data and then just close the window? The information seems to be adding but it feels wrong somehow. My brain wants to click on 'ok' or 'save'.
Regards,
Alison

Jeff La Marca <jlamarca@...>

I made the switch from RM earlier this year. You’ll get used to not clicking and may actually like it - I know I like it a lot.

Jeff

On Dec 20, 2022, at 11:10 PM, Alison Knight <knightresearchservices@...> wrote:

I have recently come to Family Historian v7 after being a long term user of both Legacy and Rootsmagic. I am gradually becoming more familiar with the program and learning my way around it. I have a question or clarification of the procedures to add sources and citations. I find it weird to not click on a 'save' button when I have finished entering a citation or adding a source. (I am using the templated sources.) Is it right to enter the data and then just close the window? The information seems to be adding but it feels wrong somehow. My brain wants to click on 'ok' or 'save'.
Regards,
Alison

Simon Orde

Alison - one thing to bear in mind is that you have full multi-level Undo/Redo.  I say 'full' but strictly-speaking, that is by default the last 999 data changes in the current session (it is configurable).  So, for example, if you make 10 changes (create a new Source record, add some fields, add a citation, modify that, delete something else, etc etc) and then change your mind, you can undo all of them.    It's the first command on the Edit menu.  Once you appreciate that you can undo data changes, I would hope that you should find yourself becoming more comfortable about not having to click 'OK'.

Part of the reason for wanting to click on an OK or Save button is that it signals that you're committing yourself.  But if you have multi-level undo/redo, you don't have to do that.  The only 'commit' point is when you close the project.  Actually there is a degree of protection even there because FH keeps automatic daily snapshots of your whole data file, so you also have the option to reverting to a snapshot too, if you ever need to for any reason.