Adding 'relationship to root' after individuals name on property box.

dcbanks

Hi, I've lost my settings in a computer disaster, searched all the forums etc., how do I put the 'relationship to the root' person after the individuals name at the top of the property box.

Thanks, David

Lorna Craig

David, to add the relationship to root to the caption at the top of the Property box for Individuals, use Tools > Preferences > Property Box, and click the Captions button.  In the Individual line add =Relationship(FileRoot(),%INDI%) of =FileRoot() after the existing data reference.

Lorna

Sent: 23 October 2022 09:47
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Adding 'relationship to root' after individuals name on property box.

Hi, I've lost my settings in a computer disaster, searched all the forums etc., how do I put the 'relationship to the root' person after the individuals name at the top of the property box.

Thanks, David

Peter Rowley

On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 at 15:48, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

David, to add the relationship to root to the caption at the top of the Property box for Individuals, use Tools > Preferences > Property Box, and click the Captions button.  In the Individual line add =Relationship(FileRoot(),%INDI%) of =FileRoot() after the existing data reference.

Lorna

Sent: 23 October 2022 09:47
Subject: [family-historian] Adding 'relationship to root' after individuals name on property box.

Thanks, David

Mike Tate

Lorna, has provided the expression required.

May I suggest you use one of the Backup and Restore FH Settings plugins and save the backup the same way you save your Project backups.

dcbanks

Thanks for that Lorna and Peter. Is there anywhere in the forums it is mentioned, I spent a long time with assorted search strings but to no avail?  Also I did have a an extra string in the expression that put 'not related to 'root' i.e. me. That message always had me chasing dead ends, ghosts but best of all highlighted my errors!
Yes, Mike, as an old hand in the IT industry, my first exposure to computers was punched cards, I did back up weekly and nightly to two different places, it was the backup software that let me down - I have now got two separate different backup software products as belts and braces. Thanks again all.

David 

Victor Markham

I always work on FH as my default tree. From time to time I copy the details to Family Tree Maker. Main reason for my doing this is when a name appears on FH describing it as no direct relationship. On FTM the same name gives a description on how it is linked to me. Something like 'cousin of 2nd cousin once removed of victor' 
I have just given an arbitrary example the description various and some are longer. Just wish FH could do the same. Also wish FTM could give the names as things are I have to check the names
Victor

On 24 Oct 2022, at 08:44, "dcbanks via groups.io" <btopenworld.com@groups.io target=_blank>dcbanks=btopenworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks for that Lorna and Peter. Is there anywhere in the forums it is mentioned, I spent a long time with assorted search strings but to no avail?  Also I did have a an extra string in the expression that put 'not related to 'root' i.e. me. That message always had me chasing dead ends, ghosts but best of all highlighted my errors!
Yes, Mike, as an old hand in the IT industry, my first exposure to computers was punched cards, I did back up weekly and nightly to two different places, it was the backup software that let me down - I have now got two separate different backup software products as belts and braces. Thanks again all.

David 

John Hanson

Victor

I assume that you have tried the “How related” in the tools menu?

The “Relationship to root” is only the best match

I just ran a random one in my one-name study

So try again

Regards

John Hanson FSG

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 24 October 2022 09:22
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Adding 'relationship to root' after individuals name on property box.

I always work on FH as my default tree. From time to time I copy the details to Family Tree Maker. Main reason for my doing this is when a name appears on FH describing it as no direct relationship. On FTM the same name gives a description on how it is linked to me. Something like 'cousin of 2nd cousin once removed of victor' 

I have just given an arbitrary example the description various and some are longer. Just wish FH could do the same. Also wish FTM could give the names as things are I have to check the names

Victor

On 24 Oct 2022, at 08:44, "dcbanks via groups.io" <btopenworld.com@groups.io target=_blank>dcbanks=btopenworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

David 

Mike Tate

David, try this expression in your Caption that says “not related to” when there is no Relationship:

=CombineText("",Relationship(FileRoot(),%INDI%)," of","not related to") =FileRoot()

Have you considered using cloud storage for backups (i.e. OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.)?

If the backup software let you down, how did you recover your Project backups?

Victor Markham

No I haven't thanks for pointing it out. I will check it out when I get to my computer. This is another plus over FTM though I will still use FTM for access to Ancestry. I just won't upgrade FTM anymore
Victor

On 24 Oct 2022, at 09:49, John Hanson <john.hanson@...> wrote:

Victor

I assume that you have tried the “How related” in the tools menu?

The “Relationship to root” is only the best match

I just ran a random one in my one-name study

So try again

Regards

John Hanson FSG

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 24 October 2022 09:22
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Adding 'relationship to root' after individuals name on property box.

Victor

David 

Lesley Lambourne

I'm not sure if I've understood the issue correctly, but I have a Relationship to Root column in the list on the Individuals tab.

I find that invaluable as you can set the Root to be whoever you like, and the relationship are all rejigged and shown in the list. If you set the root to someone other than yourself for any reason, just remember to set it back!

John Hanson

Lesley

The point Victor was making was that the column was showing “no relationship” but FTM was showing distant relationships

People are often related in more ways than one and certainly when you get first and second cousins marrying

Using the “How related” in the tools menu will show more than one relationship – it is only the main one that shows in records window

Regards

John Hanson FSG

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lesley Lambourne
Sent: 24 October 2022 10:17

I'm not sure if I've understood the issue correctly, but I have a Relationship to Root column in the list on the Individuals tab.

I find that invaluable as you can set the Root to be whoever you like, and the relationship are all rejigged and shown in the list. If you set the root to someone other than yourself for any reason, just remember to set it back!

Brian Horridge

Victor/John
I've noticed that sometimes FH seems to loose track of relationships - when that happens I can usually  solve it by doing a  "refresh"  (menu Window-Refresh).
Brian

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: 24 October 2022 10:33:13 BST

Lesley

The point Victor was making was that the column was showing “no relationship” but FTM was showing distant relationships

People are often related in more ways than one and certainly when you get first and second cousins marrying

Using the “How related” in the tools menu will show more than one relationship – it is only the main one that shows in records window

Regards

John Hanson FSG

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lesley Lambourne
Sent: 24 October 2022 10:17

Mike Tate

This thread is in danger of becoming confusing.

The OP David, is asking for assistance to customise the Property Box Caption with Relationship to Root because a PC failure lost the expression.

Others are now discussing alternative ways of displaying multiple relationships, which is a whole new topic and should have been a new thread.