adding media to FH

Robert Jordan

I have been using the following method to add media to FH

When I find an image I want to include I first save the image to the media subfolder of the FamilyHistory.fh_data folder within the project folder.
I then go into FH and locate the record I wish to attach the image to and the fact or source, I then add image. click "insert  from File" and then select the image.

I have been told that the way to do this should be to save the image file to say a temporary folder first and then go into FH to add the image from the temporary folder. The image in the temporary folder is then to be deleted as it would have been copied into the media subfolder in FH and the duplicate is unnecessary.

I would welcome Members views on these two methods

Robert Jordan

Neil Grantham

Robert

Often, my images are from those I've stored elsewhere anyway, such as pictures of people.

I just let FH handle it all. When I add the media, I just let FH copy it over in it's default way.

If it happens to be a file I've downloaded and don't want anywhere else, I might delete it from the original location.

I have created some subfolders in the Media folder for the likes of Census images and I use Ancestral Sources for entering this data/attaching the image, and choose the relevant folder to put the image of the census/register etc.

Best Wishes

Neil.

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------

Either method is perfectly valid and there is also Drag & Drop or Copy & Paste to copy images from such as online pages directly into a Media tab in FH.

There are also plugins to help manage Media files copied into the Media folder and overlooked.

Mike Tate

Victor Markham

This is what I do

Under the FH Projects folder I have a sub folder titled 'Family details'

Under this I have sub folders of all the surnames

e.g., Smith, Brown etc

other sub folder for certificates

e.g. births, baptisms etc

other sub folder for census with subfolders for each year and country

I then add these to FH either using the image under each person or via AS

Victor

On 24/02/2021 8:55 am, Robert Jordan wrote:
I have been using the following method to add media to FH

When I find an image I want to include I first save the image to the media subfolder of the FamilyHistory.fh_data folder within the project folder.
I then go into FH and locate the record I wish to attach the image to and the fact or source, I then add image. click "insert  from File" and then select the image.

I have been told that the way to do this should be to save the image file to say a temporary folder first and then go into FH to add the image from the temporary folder. The image in the temporary folder is then to be deleted as it would have been copied into the media subfolder in FH and the duplicate is unnecessary.

I would welcome Members views on these two methods

Robert Jordan

Bill Murphy

Robert,

I also add media to FH the same way you do.  I have several media subfolders from the main media folder where I store the relevant image.  I then do exactly the same as you do.  Very easy and very simple.

Bill Murphy

On 24/02/2021 08:55, Robert Jordan wrote:
I have been using the following method to add media to FH

When I find an image I want to include I first save the image to the media subfolder of the FamilyHistory.fh_data folder within the project folder.
I then go into FH and locate the record I wish to attach the image to and the fact or source, I then add image. click "insert  from File" and then select the image.

I have been told that the way to do this should be to save the image file to say a temporary folder first and then go into FH to add the image from the temporary folder. The image in the temporary folder is then to be deleted as it would have been copied into the media subfolder in FH and the duplicate is unnecessary.

I would welcome Members views on these two methods

Robert Jordan

Lorna Craig

Like you, I start by putting the image in the media folder of FH (actually I use sub-folders within the Media folder).  I keep the Media folder open so that I can then add the media very quickly to FH using the drag and drop method.  When you are adding the media to a whole record (Individual, Source, Place) you can simply drag and drop the media onto the Media tab of the record.  There is no need to click “insert from file” and select the image.

The only point of saving the image to a temporary folder first would be if you use the temporary folder to collect images which you don’t want to add immediately to FH.  This acts as a reminder that those images have not yet been linked to FH.  But when you do add them to FH you can move them to the Media folder and use the drag and drop method.

Lorna

I have been using the following method to add media to FH

When I find an image I want to include I first save the image to the media subfolder of the FamilyHistory.fh_data folder within the project folder.
I then go into FH and locate the record I wish to attach the image to and the fact or source, I then add image. click "insert  from File" and then select the image.

I have been told that the way to do this should be to save the image file to say a temporary folder first and then go into FH to add the image from the temporary folder. The image in the temporary folder is then to be deleted as it would have been copied into the media subfolder in FH and the duplicate is unnecessary.

Robert Jordan

Thanks to you all. I thought I'd been doing it all wrong!!

Robert

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 11:51, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Peter Evans

I too first copy media to a temporary folder. I use the "public" folder which is part of FH. This has the advantage that it is included in the back up of the project and the media remains for later use. Another reason to use a temporary folder is that I do not always enter the media into FH straight away but often, with say a census image, first search for other years or births/baptisms of any new children or spouses the census image revealed. Also I have images of many wills back as far as the 16th century that I cannot really use in my data until I have transcribed them. This is quite a task as much of the writing is difficult to decipher so it can get put off until later.

Peter