adding individual to census record

Jane JAMES

Hi
I am using the latest version of FH.
I have created a census source using 'create source from template' and the data entry assistant. I have subsequently realized that the family extended over two pages of the enumerator's book and I have failed to enter two people from the second page when originally creating the source. I have now added extra lines to the table in the text from source screen but without the record link (hyperlink) and have manually added the facts 'census' and 'occupation'  in the individuals' property boxes.  I suspect this means the additional individuals will not appear in some reports. Is there a way of editing the original source so that the individuals are hyperlinked or should I delete the source and reenter it.
Jane

Lorna Craig

Hi Jane,

There are two points here.  The first is that, having added the census and occupation facts to the extra individuals manually, you need to cite the Source record as evidence.   First make sure you are displaying the yellow Sources For pane attached to the Property Box (if it’s not there, click the yellow scroll icon in the small toolbar at the top of the Property box).  Now select each of the relevant facts in the Facts tab of the property box and then in the Sources For pane click Add Citation in the toolbar at the bottom. The choose Cite Existing Source, and select the correct Census Source record.

Secondly, to change the plain text name in the Source record into an active link, click on the Text from Source to open it in the note Window. Delete the plain text name but leave the cursor in the same place, and then click the Add Link icon in the Note window toolbar (4th from right) and select the appropriate individual record.

Lorna

Sent: 10 January 2022 17:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] adding individual to census record

Hi
I have created a census source using 'create source from template' and the data entry assistant. I have subsequently realized that the family extended over two pages of the enumerator's book and I have failed to enter two people from the second page when originally creating the source. I have now added extra lines to the table in the text from source screen but without the record link (hyperlink) and have manually added the facts 'census' and 'occupation'  in the individuals' property boxes.  I suspect this means the additional individuals will not appear in some reports. Is there a way of editing the original source so that the individuals are hyperlinked or should I delete the source and reenter it.
Jane

Mike Tate

If you edit the Text From Source in the Source record again you can add the hyperlink to each Individual.

Use the paperclip Icon in the toolbar to add a link to each Individual in place of just their names.

Also, each Census and Occupation fact you added needs a Source Citation to link it to the Source record.

Find a Census Event for one of the other people and in the Source For Citation List pane use the Copy Citation to Source Clipboard button.

Then for each new Census and Occupation fact use the Paste Citation from Source Clipboard button.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jane JAMES
Sent: 10 January 2022 17:04
Subject: [family-historian] adding individual to census record

Hi
Jane

Jane JAMES

Thanks Lorna. I had added the source record as evidence and I have now removed the plain text and created the link although I did it by right clicking after deleting the plain text as I could not find the icon - not sure where the note window tool bar is. Thanks again. Jane

Mike Tate

To open the Rich Text Note window click on the […] button in the vertical bar on the right of the Text From Source box.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jane JAMES
Sent: 10 January 2022 19:29
Subject: Re: [family-historian] adding individual to census record

Thanks Lorna. I had added the source record as evidence and I have now removed the plain text and created the link although I did it by right clicking after deleting the plain text as I could not find the icon - not sure where the note window tool bar is. Thanks again. Jane

Lorna Craig

Jane, you must have had the note window open in order to add the link by right-clicking.  The relevant toolbar is the one at the top of that window.  It’s worth exploring all the icons in that toolbar because they offer a great variety of Rich Text options, although you may never need to use most of them.  Anyway I’m glad you have completed your task.

Lorna.

Sent: 10 January 2022 19:28

Jane JAMES

Mike/Lorna

Thank you for your help. I have achieved what I wanted but I am puzzled that I cannot see the toolbar you refer to. This is what I see:
image.png
Thanks again
Jane

Lorna Craig

Jane, In your screenshot the Note Window is quite small so you are not seeing the full toolbar.  If you expand the width of that small window more icons at the top will be revealed.....

Sent: 11 January 2022 15:59

Mike/Lorna

Thank you for your help. I have achieved what I wanted but I am puzzled that I cannot see the toolbar you refer to.

Jane JAMES

Wow, thanks Lorna, never realised I wasn't seeing the full window. I wonder if it is because I usually work on a split screen so I can work from ancestry etc.
Jane