Adding females

jpederson1974@...

Hi, I've just started using the software and I've got a question as to how to add mothers, grandmothers, etc. etc.  Should I add them all using their maiden name or their married name, if they have one?  I've searched for an answer to this and can't find it.  

Thanks for your help.

Jenny Cochrane

I think you should always add with their maiden name otherwise it becomes impossible to follow their maternal line easily. If their maiden name is unknown at the time of entry I might then add with their married name to keep them in a logical place in the project, but make a note that this info is incorrect/incomplete.

Where a woman has been previously married, I would ideally still go for their maiden name and enter details of their first husband. This keeps track of their life story and potentially any other relatives. 

Hope that helps. 

On Wednesday, 6 May 2020, 07:30:09 BST, <jpederson1974@...> wrote:

Hi, I've just started using the software and I've got a question as to how to add mothers, grandmothers, etc. etc.  Should I add them all using their maiden name or their married name, if they have one?  I've searched for an answer to this and can't find it.  

Thanks for your help.

Victor Markham

Always use their maiden names. If you don't know their maiden name use the married name with brackets like (Smith)

On 06/05/2020 12:49 am, jpederson1974@... wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Mike Tate

Welcome.

There is much advice on this and other topics in the FHUG Knowledge Base online at https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/.

For maiden versus married women’s names and others with multiple names see How to Handle People With Multiple Names:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:handle_people_with_multiple_names

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of jpederson1974@...
Sent: 06 May 2020 00:50
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Adding females

Thanks for your help.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Julia Vokes

Hi
Welcome to the group. As other as said always use maiden name, after all some women marry more than once so will have different surnames at different points in their lives.
If I don’t know the surname I usually put a question mark ? there, it’s also reminds me it’s something I need to research.
Enjoy using the program

Regards
Julia

Andrew Braid

A good convention if a woman's maiden name is not known is to use the husband's name in square brackets thus [Braid]

Andrew Braid 

On Wed, 6 May 2020, 10:54 Julia Vokes, <julia.vokes7@...> wrote:
Hi
Welcome to the group.  As other as said always use maiden name, after all some women marry more than once so will have different surnames at different points in their lives.
If I don’t know the surname I usually put a question mark ? there, it’s also reminds me it’s something I need to research.
Enjoy using the program

Regards
Julia