If they are documents such as birth/marriage/death certificates which support facts you have already recorded, the recommended method is to create a source record and link the image of the document to that, then cite the source record against the fact.   It's also possible to link the image direct to the fact if you wish, by selecting the fact in the facts tab then using the Show Media button in the facts tab toolbar.

If the documents contain information you have not yet recorded there is no obvious way to link them.  As you have probably realised, images linked to the individual record as a whole should be photos of the individual, not images of documents.  However if you do link them to the whole record you can 'hide' them by ticking the options to Exclude from Diagrams and Exclude from Reports.

Another approach might be to use a custom fact called 'miscellaneous documents' and link them to that.

On 29/10/2021 21:59, Mark R. wrote:
How do I add documents to my name profiles. I have version 6.2. I just want them attached to the profile for future reference. I don't want them showing up with the photos that I've already linked to the profiles. Thanks for your assistance.
_

Mark R.

Thanks so much for your help.  I'll try that. These are just death certificates, marriage records, census records that I wanted to add just as additional information more so than a source. I also have photos of grave stones I wanted to add. I think I'll try the miscellaneous document route.

Much appreciated.

-------- Original message --------
From: "Lorna Craig via groups.io" <l.m.craig@...>
Date: 10/29/21 6:55 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Adding documents

[...]

Mike Tate

Mark,

You say the documents are ‘just death certificates, marriage records, census records, photos of grave stones’.

But they ARE the most common Source documents that support the Birth, Marriage, Census, Death & Burial events.

They are not just additional information. They are the crucial information that confirms the facts you have entered.

They answer the question “How do I know that event occurred for that person on that date at that place?”

Mike Tate

Jenny Cochrane

Yes, this is absolutely the kind of document that should be attached to the relevant "FACT" for individuals, ideally with witnesses added. You will curse yourself later if you do not link this information via proper source recording and attached media as appropriate. I have learned this the hard way! It's really very easy to do whilst adding them via a miscellaneous fact will just cause confusion by separating the EVENT from the SOURCE.

On Saturday, 30 October 2021, 10:24:43 BST, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Mark,

You say the documents are ‘just death certificates, marriage records, census records, photos of grave stones’.

But they ARE the most common Source documents that support the Birth, Marriage, Census, Death & Burial events.

They are not just additional information. They are the crucial information that confirms the facts you have entered.

They answer the question “How do I know that event occurred for that person on that date at that place?”

Mike Tate

Mark R.

Thanks, Mike.

I'll definitely add them as source documents.  I wish I had kept better tabs on these sources. I was so eager to get the information online, I simply documented without preserving the sources for the Program. I'm going back and finding these sources again.

I appreciate your help.

You say the documents are ‘just death certificates, marriage records, census records, photos of grave stones’.

But they ARE the most common Source documents that support the Birth, Marriage, Census, Death & Burial events.

They are not just additional information. They are the crucial information that confirms the facts you have entered.

They answer the question “How do I know that event occurred for that person on that date at that place?”

Mike Tate

Jan Murphy

Mark,

When I attach documents in Family Historian (assuming I'm not using Ancestral Sources for an assist), I use a "source first" workflow (creating the multimedia object, making the source, using Auto-Source Citation, etc.).  But since you say "for future reference", I wonder if the real problem is, what can you do to keep documents organized before you've had a chance to add them to Family Historian as sources?

One quick-and-dirty solution is to create a spreadsheet to keep things organized. Crista Cowan of Ancestry has a video on creating Genealogy Source Checklists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxWoqfpuDy4 The one she shows is US-centric but one could create a spreadsheet along similar lines which emphasizes UK sources.  I tend to use these when I'm working on a specific research problem or reviewing prior work, but they could easily be modified to track the sources you've collected for someone which you haven't entered into Family Historian yet.

Thomas MacEntee has a popular genealogy research log template which is available for download on his "cheat sheets" page here. https://genealogybargains.com/free-genealogy-cheat-sheets/

 If you have a multi-step workflow like the one I described, it's easy to add boxes to tick off as you have gone through the steps.

Other more elaborate solutions exist for inventorying sources, such as Clooz and Custodian, or using Evidentia for evidence analysis.  But for most people, keeping some sort of simple log, in Word or Excel or your office program of choice, helps with the capture of source citation information and organization of documents before you put them into your genealogy software properly.

The best solution is the one you'll actually use, but I hope these suggestions give you some ideas.

Jan Murphy
Moderator Pro Tempore

Mark R.

Thanks so much, Jan. This is very helpful to me.

I'm going to try to start from the beginning,  collect documents, etc., then link with my trees. Kind of working backwards, but I'm going to organize this. I do like the idea of a spreadsheet.

Appreciate your help.  Have a great weekend.

[...]

One more thought about collecting source information and the "write as you go" process.

If you want an integrated solution, what about using the "Research Notes" feature in FH7 to keep track of the sources you haven't entered yet?  https://www.family-historian.co.uk/features/feature-list

Research notes are separate from ordinary notes.  Different styles of research notes are available, designed for logs, plans, or task lists; but you can design your own types to suit your preferred way of working.  You can link records to research notes. Research notes support full word processing features, so you can also insert links to any records into research notes.  These link are not just to records for people, but to records of any type.  You can even insert links to other research notes if you want to.

Research notes are in addition to the much shorter note-within-a-note, hash tags, mentioned in the word processing section above, which can also be used as a way of recording much shorter research notes.

[emphasis mine for the bolded bits]

Research notes which listed all the sources you had for a person, whether they've been processed in FH or not, would allow you to reference "all the things I have about a person" without having to attach them to a person and then unattch them once you've created the source for them.

Disclaimer: I have purchased FH7 but due to technical difficulties with my computer, I haven't installed it yet.

Useful links: Quicklesson 20 on research reports from Elizabeth Shown Mills' Evidence Explained website: https://www.evidenceexplained.com/content/quicklesson-20-research-reports-research-success

Diana Elder and Nicole Dyer of Family Locket are the authors of the book Research Like a Pro; they offer a sample report and a research log template as a freebie when you sign up for their newsletter. https://familylocket.com/

Thomas MacEntee has a system for a "fresh start" to re-organize and start over called the Genealogy Do-Over: https://genealogybargains.com/genealogy-do-over-start-here/  Do-over fans who use this to review prior work instead of starting completely over from scratch call that a "Go-Over".

My top tip for getting into the habit of research logging is to fill out the log of the records you plan to look for BEFORE you start searching for them. Think of it like a grocery list, which you fill out at home before you go to the store.  It's much easier to log things as you go if you aren't trying to capture *everything* at once.

Take a look at the Research notes in FH7 and see if that feature will meet your needs!

Jan Murphy
Moderator Pro Tempore

On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 2:27 PM Mark R. <oriolesbball@...> wrote:
[...]

I have 6.2 version. I've read about folks having issues with version 7. 6.2 is good so far for my research and my skill level. I've added photos, but that'sit so far. AlthoughI do have a lot of documents. I'm impressed with what folks do with their research, though. I might try and  play around with it to actually explore what it can do.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Mark

[...]

If I may make a suggestion.

Before you start logging your sources and investing a lot of time setting up your research, I recommend you do upgrade to V7. Most of the issues that people had with the changes to source recording in V7 were because it was different from V6. It is, but it is also much better as are other features of V7 such as the notes facilities for research and task planning etc.Being able to make notes and link them directly to individuals and sources as you go along is brilliant - especially if you are like me and forget that brilliant idea you had about 5 mins later! I think it will be much easier to develop your research and source recording skills if you upgrade first.

Secondly, whichever version you use, it really is worth playing around with it. FH is a very powerful and flexible program. You don't need to use all its capability but with a bit of effort and experience you will find what works for you. Might be worth getting the book "getting the most out of family historian".

Jenny

On Saturday, 30 October 2021, 23:30:42 BST, Mark R. <oriolesbball@...> wrote:

[...]

John Hanson

One thing that I have always recommended to play who talk about “I’ll have a play and see” is MAKE A COPY of your project and try in there

I keep one for all sort out playing – once I have it set in my mind then I will go back to my master and do it for real

That way I don’t have to keep reloading from the back-up if I get it wrong

[...]

There is a lot of useful advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base on tracking research and adding source documents.

It applies mostly to both FH V6.2 and FH V7.0.

Topic: Organising your Research:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/topic/organising-your-research/

Topic: Sources and Citations:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/topic/entering-data/sources-and-citations/

You don’t have to read them all in detail.

Just pick some that look relevant and move on if they are not suitable for you.

Many will cross-refer to each other where appropriate.

Mike Tate

Mark R.

Thanks for your help. Mike.

There is a lot of useful advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base on tracking research and adding source documents.

It applies mostly to both FH V6.2 and FH V7.0.

Topic: Organising your Research:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/topic/organising-your-research/

Topic: Sources and Citations:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/topic/entering-data/sources-and-citations/

You don’t have to read them all in detail.

Just pick some that look relevant and move on if they are not suitable for you.

Many will cross-refer to each other where appropriate.

Mike Tate

Mark R.

Great idea. I appreciate your help.

[...]

I'll try to play with it. Thanks for your assistance.