Easiest Way to Combine a Duplicated Ancestor

Tom Santa Cruz

I have an ancestor who has two Record IDs. He is an ancestor by two ancestoral lines. In one Record ID, he had 6 wivies or consorts and the other Record ID has just one.  He was a Spanish king in the 11th Century and is my great (x25) grandfather.

What is the easiest way to combine these Record IDs?  When I use the "Search Help", I don't find a clear answer.

I am using Family Historian 7.0.11

Any suggestions, thank you.
Tom Santa Cruz

Mike Tate

Hi Tom,

It would be wise to create a Project backup before you start just in case of problems.

In the Records Window, on the Individuals tab, select the one with the first Record Id.

Use Edit > Merge/Compare Records… then select and add the one with the other Record Id and click OK.

Use the Merge dialogue to add and keep all the required details from both records and finally click Merge.

If in any doubt about what details need to be merged then click Help for advice or click Cancel to abort.

Regards, Mike Tate

Tom Santa Cruz

Mike,

Thank you so much.  Your directions are clear and to the point.
The "Family Historian Help" just overloads me with too many possibilities.
And as a practice, I do a Full Backup after every session and delete those monster files regularly, but save the last two backups.

Grateful for your help, Tom Santa Cruz

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 5:33 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Tom,

It would be wise to create a Project backup before you start just in case of problems.

In the Records Window, on the Individuals tab, select the one with the first Record Id.

Use Edit > Merge/Compare Records… then select and add the one with the other Record Id and click OK.

Use the Merge dialogue to add and keep all the required details from both records and finally click Merge.

If in any doubt about what details need to be merged then click Help for advice or click Cancel to abort.

Tom,

This merged Individual now exists in more than one tree branch.

So, when you display a diagram chart he may appear in multiple boxes with a coloured ribbon linking those boxes.

That is normal and the Diagram > Options > General tab, Check for duplicates option, customises those ribbons.

Mike Tate