Family Historian take-over of Epsom XP245 Printer #new

Helen at Darlington

I am running Windows 10, and have an Epsom XP245 Printer. I have Family Historian 7-0-11.

If I try to print anything in another program, I get this box:

This file was not a PDF.
The same happens with a PDF.

Yesterday, I couldn't even save a PDF; today I have succeeded.

Mike Tate

Helen,

It looks like you have accidentally set ‘Family Historian PDF’ as the default printer.

When you choose the Print option in any program, check the Printer Name in the first dialogue.

To print to your physical printer it should be ‘Epsom XP245’.

Use Start > Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.

Which one is identified as the Default? I suspect it is ‘Family Historian PDF’

Click the ‘Epsom XP245’ printer, choose Manage and then Set as default.

Helen at Darlington

Thank you, Mike. The actual printer says 'driver unavailable', and no 'printer' was marked as 'default'. The F.H. 'printer' was set to Nova PDF7 Printer Driver. I have tried re-setting the F.H. one to the Epsom driver, but this made it officially the default.
The printer soft and firm wear was amongst various things which updated in recent weeks - and I have printed something since.

Mike Tate

There appear to be some issues with your printer drivers that probably need fixing.

If you try to print from various applications can you choose Epsom XP245 and physically print anything now?

I suspect that if the Epsom printer driver is unavailable then that won’t work.

If the Family Historian PDF dialogue appears then it seems the FH Nova PDF Printer Driver has been assigned to the Epsom XP245 by mistake.

Since there have been printer updates recently they need to be reviewed.

It may be an idea to retore to a System Restore Point prior to those printer updates.

However, this groups.io forum is dedicated to Family Historian and not printer driver repairs.

It would be advisable to seek local expert help to resolve those printer driver problems.

If the Family Historian PDF printer driver needs to be re-installed then see FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Installation Problems’ Save As PDF File Output is Not Enabled:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-installation-problems/#ftoc-heading-13

Helen at Darlington

Thank you, Mike, again. I just can't print - I'll try the Restore Point - see if there is a suitable one.

Victor Markham

There have been times when I was unable to print anything so I pulled the printer plug out and put it back in. It started printing after that.
Not sure if this will work with you but try it

On 6 Jul 2022, at 21:02, Helen at Darlington <zen232702@...> wrote:

Thank you, Mike, again. I just can't print - I'll try the Restore Point - see if there is a suitable one.

Marcia Kennedy

My suggestion is to delete the printer driver. Then reboot. The machine should automagically recognize the printer and reinstall the driver. Go into the Device management screen and reset the default printer.

mgk in Ontario

--
moi @ home, eh
"Librarians are the secret masters of the universe. They control information. Never piss one off."  Spider Robinson