No Death Event

@Lincsman

Good Evening,

I have a few hundred individuals in my file with no death recorded, how do other people handle this?
If you do not have a date of death, do you leave it blank or input an estimated death date?  Most of the people in my file missing a death event will be pre BMD records or where I have been too lazy to search for a death, concentrating more on direct ancestors rather that their siblings :-)
Secondly, should I decide to create an estimated death date, is there an easy way to do this with a plugin? I have searched through the store and I cannot see anything.

Cheers, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Dave

Trevor Rix

In my opinion it's not a good idea to fake death dates. I leave mine blank. In most cases I do have burial dates. Unfortunately some websites do not recognise burial dates, such as FTDNA trees, which is not helpful.

@Lincsman

Yes, to be honest, that is my take on it too, I have no plans to insert a fake event, but I will start to find as many as I can, I am retired now so have more time to research them properly. I just wondered how others face this problem.

Adrian Bruce

The only time that I concoct a death date is when I have indirect evidence for it, such as a burial, when I'll estimate a death date based on the burial date minus - waves hand and thinks of a number. In such a case, the death is marked as Estimated and also given a note about how the estimate was arrived at. Other concoctions come from people recorded as being widowed in one census, in which case the death date for their partner is "Before nnnn" - where nnnn is the census date. Yes, they might be telling untruths but that applies to anything.

But aside from those, I've never had the need to get something into a Death Date. Perhaps oddly, I do tend to be a bit more persistent in inserting a Birth date, even including estimates based on date of birth of a mother's last known child. Possibly having the birth and using FH's estimating techniques means I don't need Death Dates?

Adrian

BillH

I do not make estimates for peoples deaths because in some cases they can be completely wrong.

I have numerous relatives who were not buried until many years (as many as 21 years) after they died.  They were cremated and sat on an urn in their surviving spouses homes until both were buried after the surviving spouses deaths.

I also have several who were buried more than once.  They were moved for various reasons.  If I had had only the latter burial date and based the death date on that, I would have been way off.  In one case the person was moved 75 years after their original burial.

Bill

Adrian Bruce

Re Bill's experience with ashes being interred years after burial. That's a good argument against a general use of deaths estimated from "burial" date. I'd only say that in the context of the UK, cremations came in well after the start of civil registration of vital events, so I'll have the index date (quarter usually) to compare against any "burial" as a cross check.

I've put burial in quotes above because I usually use a custom event for the interment of the ashes, rather than the standard burial event. FH has various estimates built in and IIRC, using burial as a proxy for a missing death, is one of them. If the burial event is used for interment of ashes, then this carries the risk of Bill's error - though how material that is for the estimates made, I'm not sure. My use of a custom event for the interment avoids that risk, though whether that was deliberate on my part or a lucky accident, I'm not sure!

Adrian

John Elvin

If you know that they died before a certain date (e.g. wife shown as widow on a census), is there any merit in using the Before option on the range tab of the date entry pop-up to reduce the number of individuals with no death date? Perhaps also for those with no other evidence set to before their hundredth birthday?

Mike Tate

IMO as a general rule, it is better to have a Death Event than not for people who you know must have died.

That is because some products will consider the person as still living if there is no Death Event, even if they would be extremely old.

It is typically possible to use a range Date such as Before or After or Between dates from other facts, which may be better than an estimated Date.

The Export Gedcom File plugin, when exporting to FT DNA, synthesises missing Birth and Death events from Baptism, Christening, Burial & Cremation events, etc.

Mike Tate

BillH

In those cases I also create a death event, I just leave the date blank or as Adrian suggested I might put a before date.  I just don't try to estimate the year.

Bill

On Jan 31, 2022 at 03:03 am, Mike Tate wrote:

IMO as a general rule, it is better to have a Death Event than not for people who you know must have died.

That is because some products will consider the person as still living if there is no Death Event, even if they would be extremely old.

It is typically possible to use a range Date such as Before or After or Between dates from other facts, which may be better than an estimated Date.

The Export Gedcom File plugin, when exporting to FT DNA, synthesises missing Birth and Death events from Baptism, Christening, Burial & Cremation events, etc.

Mike Tate

@Lincsman

Thanks every one for your views, I only put a range date if I know they have died, say for example between census', I will then try to find the quarter in the bmd records but if I can't do that, I will use between and then and so and so. I record burial of cremated remains as a burial but with a note.
i just hate seeing those lists with a start but no end date as it were :-)

joan Chopping

Hi
Not sure if this helps but I input "Unknown" in the death date when I can't find one; obviously it is only input when I am sure ie over 100 years.  It is shown as a line in the Individual Records window.
Hope this helps.

BillH

I'm not sure 100 a good number to use.  People are living a lot longer.  I have at least 10 people in my tree who lived to be over 100.  My wife's grandmother died about 10 years ago and she was a week shy of her 111th birthday.

Bill