Old .ftw file

Cathy Roberts

Hello all  & Happy New Year
I have inherited a  .FTW  file dated 2006 - I guess it's a Family Tree Maker file but I don't have that programme. Is there any way I can open it in Family Historian?
Any assistance gratefully received!
Cheers
Cathy

Jan Eri

Hi Cathy,

I still have my old TMG installed, and it can import "Family Tree Maker (*.FTW)".
I'm happy to give it a go (import it and then export as Gedcom) if you don't have TMG available yourself.

Regards,
Jan

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 5:22 PM Cathy Roberts <roberts.research36@...> wrote:
Hello all  & Happy New Year
I have inherited a  .FTW  file dated 2006 - I guess it's a Family Tree Maker file but I don't have that programme. Is there any way I can open it in Family Historian?
Any assistance gratefully received!
Cheers
Cathy

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

You could also try downloading the FTM 2005 starter edition from the mackiev website, and using it to convert to a later format which can then be imported directly into FH (see Importing to Family Historian – Family Historian User Group (fhug.org.uk) for this step, especially the section specific to FTM.)

I still have my old TMG installed, and it can import "Family Tree Maker (*.FTW)".

I'm happy to give it a go (import it and then export as Gedcom) if you don't have TMG available yourself.

Regards,

Jan

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 5:22 PM Cathy Roberts <roberts.research36@...> wrote:

Hello all  & Happy New Year
I have inherited a  .FTW  file dated 2006 - I guess it's a Family Tree Maker file but I don't have that programme. Is there any way I can open it in Family Historian?
Any assistance gratefully received!
Cheers
Cathy

Mike Tate

I didn’t think that FH could perform a direct import from FTM using .FTW files?

It is not mentioned in the Help page: New Project Wizard - Choose Import File.

I thought FTM could only be imported via GEDCOM.

If TMG can import the .FTW file then you can perform a direct import from TMG.

[...]

I don’t know if FH can handle a .ftw file either, but the FTM Starter Edition 2005 (free trial for 2 weeks)  may be able to generate a GEDCOM file. (I don’t know; I haven’t got it).

[...]

BrianE

Cathy, I have both FH and FTM 2019 and have successfully used FTM to generate a GEDCOM file to import into FH at least 10 times and am willing to do this for you. If the FTM file was from a later version than 2005 then it might not load into it.

I would delete your files once you were happy with the conversion.