Records List

waltonnz

I used to be able to display a record in the Property box by a single click on a record in the records list. Now I have to double click. I found the other method handy as I could click on one record and used my up/down arrows to display other records on the Property Box and flip through them quickly. Is there any way I can revert to a single click. I have the latest update for FH.
Patricia

Mike Tate

If the Property Box is closed, I don’t think you could ever single-click a record to open the Property Box.

It always needed a double-click to open the Property Box initially.

Once the Property Box is open then by selecting any record with either single-click or up/down arrows the contents of the Property Box will update to the selected record. It has always been that way.

What has changed in FH v7.0.9 is that clicking anywhere on the row will select the record whereas before you had to click the Record name on the left.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 10 December 2021 21:50
To: Family Historian <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Records List

I used to be able to display a record in the Property box by a single click on a record in the records list. Now I have to double click. I found the other method handy as I could click on one record and used my up/down arrows to display other records on the Property Box and flip through them quickly. Is there any way I can revert to a single click. I have the latest update for FH.

Patricia

waltonnz

Thank you for your response Mike. When I click the Property Box is already open and, as you say, a single click should update the record, but now it doesn't. I have to double click and using the up/down arrows has no effect. If FH hasn't changed, then it must be something on my computer that's changed. Yes, I was aware you could now click anywhere on a record name to update.
Patricia

On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 at 11:25, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

If the Property Box is closed, I don’t think you could ever single-click a record to open the Property Box.

It always needed a double-click to open the Property Box initially.

Once the Property Box is open then by selecting any record with either single-click or up/down arrows the contents of the Property Box will update to the selected record. It has always been that way.

What has changed in FH v7.0.9 is that clicking anywhere on the row will select the record whereas before you had to click the Record name on the left.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 10 December 2021 21:50
Subject: [family-historian] Records List

Patricia

Mike Tate

I suggest you check your mouse single-click is working correctly.

Do its batteries need changing? Can you try another mouse?

Otherwise, try re-installing FH v7.0.9.

Sent: 10 December 2021 23:02
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Records List

Thank you for your response Mike. When I click the Property Box is already open and, as you say, a single click should update the record, but now it doesn't. I have to double click and using the up/down arrows has no effect. If FH hasn't changed, then it must be something on my computer that's changed. Yes, I was aware you could now click anywhere on a record name to update.

Patricia

Paul Tanner-Tremaine

What is the status of the 'Sync with Workspace Selection' pin on the top row of the property box - the pin next to the cog wheel?  That determines whether the content of the floating property box changes or not.

waltonnz

Thank you Mike. I have managed to fix it though I can't say what caused the problem. I just closed FH and relaunched it and the one click worked perfectly. I don't close FH very often as I like to keep it open ready to work on. I appreciate your input.
Patricia

On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 at 23:58, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Patricia

Neil Grantham

Patricia

As an IT technician I would advise against leaving programs open. I presume your PC stays on or hibernates?

This is just one example of problems that could occur. PCs need regular reboots or shutdowns to clear out any build up of issues such as stale RAM usage etc.

Imagine if your PC crashed and you've left FH open. It could potentially trash your project in a worse case scenario.

The good thing about FH7 unlike its predecessor versions is that it will open where you left off, so even if you choose to leave the PC on or hibernate it, closing FH7 is a better choice.

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Dec 11, 2021 at 8:56 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Records List

Thank you Mike. I have managed to fix it though I can't say what caused the problem. I just closed FH and relaunched it and the one click worked perfectly. I don't close FH very often as I like to keep it open ready to work on. I appreciate your input.
Patricia

Patricia

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

waltonnz

Wow, thank you Neil. I wasn't aware of that. In fact, I had thought that rebooting PCs wore out the hard drive. I hardly ever shut mine down. In future I will make sure to do so and I will certainly close down FH after each use. I appreciated your very good advice.
Patricia

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 at 14:01, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Patricia

As an IT technician I would advise against leaving programs open. I presume your PC stays on or hibernates?

This is just one example of problems that could occur. PCs need regular reboots or shutdowns to clear out any build up of issues such as stale RAM usage etc.

Imagine if your PC crashed and you've left FH open. It could potentially trash your project in a worse case scenario.

The good thing about FH7 unlike its predecessor versions is that it will open where you left off, so even if you choose to leave the PC on or hibernate it, closing FH7 is a better choice.

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Tofamily-historian@groups.io

Patricia

Derek Kain

Hello Neil,
I also thank you for that. I have just found it convenient to leave programs open if I expect to go back to them before I shut the computer down at the end of the day. 
Would that also apply to the browser (Google)?
Derek

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 at 01:01, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Patricia

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Tofamily-historian@groups.io

Patricia

Patricia

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Tom H

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 05:01 PM, Neil Grantham wrote:
PCs need regular reboots or shutdowns to clear out any build up of issues such as stale RAM usage etc.
I leave mine on continuously with a reboot typically no more frequently than weekly. Browser remains open, often with 30+tabs, usually a few open on Google Docs, Sheets... My main family tree software often left open - it uses the SQLite database engine so it saves 'atomically'. That raised a question in my mind about fh7 - frequency with which changes are saved which I have not yet investigated but your remarks are a little alarming.

I don't even put mine to sleep especially since the pandemic got me doing video conferencing and virtual choirs - a bug in Windows 10, probably related to the age of my laptop, causes the OS to lose contact with the camera on hibernating and a reboot is necessary in order to use the camera again. I turn off the outboard monitor and dim the main screen in the hope that doing so will prolong their lives. Windows often does an update with a reboot overnight. I've not had any issue with files getting corrupted.

@admin, perhaps this belongs under a more appropriate topic...

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save. Set Autosave to the value you prefer (default 5 minutes).

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom H
Sent: 12 December 2021 15:23
To: family-historian@groups.io

That raised a question in my mind about fh7 - frequency with which changes are saved which I have not yet investigated but your remarks are a little alarming.

Neil Grantham

The subject has Pro's and Con's for both sides if you Google it.

I have to admit, I do leave my laptop on as it takes so long to boot, getting a bit long in the tooth.

If you use Edge or Chrome and look at Task Manager, you will see there is at least one process for each Tab you have open, and that can reduce processing power etc. if you leave them constantly open and the machine on. Like other apps, it is also a program so susceptible to machine crashes too.

My own preference if leaving a device on would to leave no program open. In my case especially FH as my projects are cloud based so leaving FH open is inherently dangerous in this case!

As I support GP surgeries and many staff work remotely at the moment, with sometimes several user profiles existing, our advise is to reboot these devices several times a week to clear Caches, temp files, multiple processes etc. and certainly close programs before they log off.

Best Wishes

Neil.

------ Original Message ------
Sent: Sunday, 12 Dec, 2021 At 07:44

Hello Neil,
I also thank you for that. I have just found it convenient to leave programs open if I expect to go back to them before I shut the computer down at the end of the day.
Would that also apply to the browser (Google)?
Derek

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 at 01:01, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Patricia

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Dec 11, 2021 at 8:56 PM

Patricia

Thank you for your response Mike. When I click the Property Box is already open and, as you say, a single click should update the record, but now it doesn't. I have to double click and using the up/down arrows has no effect. If FH hasn't changed, then it must be something on my computer that's changed. Yes, I was aware you could now click anywhere on a record name to update.

Patricia

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7