Backup Custom Facts

Edward Sneithe

I have a question about custom facts and where they are stored.

I am reworking my  backup procedures and want to make sure everything is backed up. So far I have found the following locations for fact sets:

/ProgramFiles(X86)/FamilyHistorian/FactTypes

    Standard

    Extended Set

    Standardv1

    Standardv2

    Standardv3

    Standardv4

    Standardvr

Only by project so far

    Custom
    RootsMagic Import

Documents/familyHisorianProjects/FactSets

    DNA

    GedMatch

    Military2

My question is the location of the custom fact set when set for not project specific?

Mike Tate

There is plenty of information and advice about such things in the FHUG Knowledge Base.

The simplest way to backup/restore everything is the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin.

See:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/backup-and-recovery/

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/understanding-the-scope-of-features/

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-program-data-folder/

Mike Tate

Edward Sneithe

Mike,

Thank you. The answer was in the second document. Now that I have found it I'm still not sure if any FH backup will copy this file. It will copy the fact that is in a project folder but I see no reference to to it backing up the Programdata/Calico Pie/Family Hostorian/fact Types where my custom fact resides.

Should I plan on copying that file as well?

On Sunday, September 5, 2021, 11:05:46 AM EDT, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

There is plenty of information and advice about such things in the FHUG Knowledge Base.

The simplest way to backup/restore everything is the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin.

See:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/backup-and-recovery/

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/understanding-the-scope-of-features/

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-program-data-folder/

Actually, I supplied the answer and it is reiterated in the first document:

The simplest way to backup/restore everything is the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin.

See the https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/backup-and-recovery/ Backup and Recovery advice.

That explains what is included in FH Project Backups and what is NOT included.

It says either use the File > Import/Export commands or the plugin I mentioned above.

I suspect you have customized much more than just Fact Types, so the plugin is the answer to preserving them all.

Mike