From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Horridge via groups.io
Sent: 30 August 2021 15:54
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Removing unused places in split tree helper

Hi

I've just extracted one small Pool of people from a larger project file using Split Tree Helper and removing anyone with a different Pool number (using a custom query).  The process works fine and I have just the individuals and families left that I want.  However, the process does not seem to remove Places no longer used so I have almost 800 places with no links to them (only 4 are now used in my shorter file).

I appreciate I could have deleted the unused Places one-by-one but that would have taken ages with so many unused places.  I got round it by editing the Gedcom file in a text editor and then FH re-added the ones left but it seems a long-winded (and risky) way of doing things.

Split Tree Helper has options to remove Notes, Multimedia, Sources and Repository records with no links to them but does not seem to allow the removal of Places without links.

Can you advise the best way to purge unused place records please.

Many thanks

Brian
Note: I am using FH Ver 6.2.7

Elizabeth Adkins

The quickest way I have found to remove several unused place records is to use Tools>Work with Data> Places.  If you click on the column heading Used to sort all the records with 0 links together.  Select all the records you no longer need and choose the merge option,  Select any record to merge to and click OK,  This will leave just one record to delete manually. ( Or you can merge it to a record you want to keep - either option works).