Incremental Record IDs

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Thanks, Adrian. FH never has and I hope never will reuse an ID number, wherever it sits in the sequence of ID numbers. If someone is happy to mess around with the contents of your Gedcom (as Mike T has suggested) good luck to them, but for most people it wouldn’t be desirable or necessary.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Bruce
Sent: 30 August 2021 15:30
To: Family Historian Groups.io mailing list <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Incremental Record IDs

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 at 15:12, Brian Horridge via groups.io <brian.horridge=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

... FH should have used 1620 again not the 1627 it did use. ...

I beg to disagree. FH has no knowledge of what you might have done in the space between creating and deleting those ids. A user might, for instance, have run a query exporting individual ids while the short-term records were still in existence. If the exported data is then used as an audit trail, then re-use of the same id for two records is a confusing and therefore seriously bad idea. For reasons like that, best practice would advise that ids are never reused.

Now, if you know that you didn't do anything of the sort and are happy to take the risk of editing a GEDCOM file, then fair enough - but CP should be taking a safe view and not reusing anything.

Adrian

Mike Tate

Postscript.

If you realised your mistake soon enough and used Edit > Undo… before closing FH then I suspect the Record Id would have reverted as you wanted.

Alternatively, perhaps you could use the Revert to Snapshot that effectively reverts to an earlier GEDCOM and thus earlier Record Id.

Mike Tate

Adrian Bruce

[...]

Brian Horridge

Mike

Thanks - that's solve my problem  (I also changed the last-used family number)

Brian

On 30/08/2021 15:12, Mike Tate wrote:

Yes, it is held in the GEDCOM file in the last line of the HEAD record just before the first INDIvidual record:

1 _USED I122,F50,N1,S40,R6,U0,B0,O37,P69,T60

So if certain of what you are doing, then edit that line so that I122 is the largest Individual Record Id in use.

(Note that the first character is the capital letter I and not the digit 1.)

Yes, it is held in the GEDCOM file in the last line of the HEAD record just before the first INDIvidual record:

1 _USED I122,F50,N1,S40,R6,U0,B0,O37,P69,T60

So if certain of what you are doing, then edit that line so that I122 is the largest Individual Record Id in use.

(Note that the first character is the capital letter I and not the digit 1.)

Mike Tate

Brian Horridge

Colevalleygirl

I agree that FH does not re-use "empty" IDs in the middle of a sequence but the IDs in the case of these deleted records had the highest numbers.  After I deleted the unwanted records, the highest number was the previous highest so FH should have re-allocated the first deleted entry's number again (as there were no higher numbers lift in the gedcom file).

The numbers are as follows:-
Previous numbers                last highest = 1619
Records added by mistake (and then deleted)  1620-1626
ID of next "new" entry added     1627

After deleting records 1620-1626 (and after closing and re-opening the project) FH should have used 1620 again not the 1627 it did use.

Brian

On 30/08/2021 14:48, colevalleygirl@... wrote:

FH has never reused record numbers.

If you want to renumber everything, use Tools> Record Identifiers > Generate New Records IDs starting from 1.

However, if the record number are important to you (perhaps because you’ve used them in a filing scheme or on a website that you can’t easily regenerate with the new numbers) this will not be what you want.

Most people seem to leave the numbers untouched (i.e. allow FH to allocate them) and live with any gaps.