Report shows differently to fact page

Mike Tate

Miriam, firstly what we are discussing is a fault in FH for which there is no ideal solution until CP fix it.

There are several ways to get a Note into a Narrative report sentence as discussed in the FHUG Forum thread:

1. In the Report Options tick the ‘Inc. Event/Attr Notes’ option and the Note is added as an extra sentence but without Source Citation footnote superscripts.

2. In the Sentence Template use the {note} code to embed the Note within the sentence (but if followed by {date} gets upset in the report).
    The sentence shown in the Facts tab Sentence box is perfectly correct. Only the Report sentence exhibits the fault.
    Narrative reports detect the above tick option and {note} code to prevent the Note from being shown twice.

3. In the Sentence Template use the %FACT.NOTE2% code to embed the Note within the sentence and avoid the {date} problem.
    Narrative reports do not detect this code, so if ‘Inc. Event/Attr Notes’ is ticked the Note appears twice.
    If the Note text is very long then this workaround may not include all of the Note text.

I hope that explains the situation.

Mike Tate

Miriam Smith

Thank you to all for your suggestions.  The reason I put the date in a different place is because I get sick of it being at the beginning ALL the time - especially if the sentence is short, with more short ones following.  Some of my 'notes' are quite long and detailed and I haven't had any problems previously with what order the sentence pieces were in.  I played around with my John Williams and put the date in various spots as you can see from the attachment.  I screen dumped relevant info to demonstrate what structure the sentence was and what it looked like on FH and the report.  I am unable to 'copy' as when you click in the structure part, it only copies the structure, not the sentence it makes, and some of the sentences don't all fit into the little space.  I note that every sentence is dodgy - BUT I also noticed that I have "financial" sentences.  When I put a note in a marriage sentence, it all works.
I did some further work on John Williams and realised that a "financial" fact was something that had come over from TMG.  So I created an identical "misc" fact but it still had the same errors.  I then used your %FACT.NOTE2%, Mike, but it just added another sentence using the "note" only.  (I haven't screen dumped that though)
I admit I used my "financial" and "legal" facts a lot in TMG and they have all come over, but I hadn't noticed previously that these sentences were 'up the creek' so to speak.

However, I have made an amazing discovery - I noticed that on another person I had a very big note (a transcription of his will actually) and it was in the report but the {note} was not in the sentence structure.  So I went back to John Williams and removed the {note} from one of the sentence structures and the note printed in the report.  But it didn't show it in the sentence where the structure is.  Previously I have always had to have the {note} in the sentence structure otherwise it didn't show, or print.

I will raise an issue with Calico Pie but I think it will not be as straightforward as I originally thought as I always check what my sentence "says" before moving on, so that I believe it will be correct when printed.

It still leaves me with what to do in the meantime, as whatever needs doing will be a huge job.  But again, thank you all and Mike - I probably wouldn't have picked up the previous thread as even when I read it I wouldn't have remembered it when I had my issue.

Mike Tate

Miriam, this and related problems were discussed 10 days ago in the FHUG Forums under ‘Fact definitions & unwanted carriage returns’.

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19695

It appears to be a fault that has arisen in FH v7.0 when using the {note} code followed by the {date} code.

As a workaround, you can replace {note} with {%FACT.NOTE2%} until the fault is fixed.

I suggest you report your specific symptoms to Calico Pie via their http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php support ticket system.

Mike Tate

Adrian Bruce

Can you guarantee that there's always a date? If so, maybe you could replace 
 {date} {place} {age}
by 
 This was {date} {place} {age}
This will result in 2 sentences (in English) for the one narrative sentence. Not quite sure this is exactly what you want but some experiments might show where the full stops and capitals end up. (Actually that might also work with no date but with a place?)

John Hanson

Miriam

Have you tried changing the position of the date in the sentence to see if it makes a difference to the output

It would also help if you copied the actual template rather than quote an example – that would make sure that it is exactly what is there not what you think. We all from time to time read what we think is there rather than what is actually there

One of the reasons that I have a test database that I can check things on without message up the master

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Miriam Smith
Sent: 16 August 2021 00:29
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Report shows differently to fact page

Hello everyone

Since the upgrade to V7, I’m now preparing a report for my niece and some of the sentences are not coming out the same as previous reports.  I cannot work it out, and as it is happening to heaps of sentences, I’m hoping someone can put me in the right direction.

This is an example of the sentence: {individual} {note} {date} {place} {age}

This is what it looks like in the Fact page: He leased lands owned by Bridge Trust which bounded property of Sarah Sanders on 1 November 1834 in Northam, Devon.  (exactly what I want it to say.)

This is what it looks like in the Ancestors report: He leased lands owned by Bridge Trust which bounded property of Sarah Sanders.On 1 November 1834 in Northam.

Because of the date being later in the sentence, it has seemed to throw the whole lot into chaos and I have a lot like that which I have amended to read better in the context of the paragraph.  It hasn’t come like this previously and this is a report which I have often done.  Help appreciated as I don’t always want the date first.

Thank you, Miriam Smith

South Australia

Life is better by the lake !

Adrian Bruce

I have a feeling that v7 altered the production of the narrative sentences slightly, because I had an issue with the number of embedded spaces that CP Support said was because I was trying to control the spaces and FH was also trying to control the spaces. Not your issue but suggesting a change did take place and that there is something that happens in the report, that doesn't happen when displaying sentences in the Fact tab  

In your case, I would speculate that FH is automatically adding a full stop to the end of the text from the {note} when producing the report. That then generates the capital letter following and also loses a space. (I think!)

But unfortunately what I can't figure off the top of my head is how to alter that simply. I don't want to sound awkward but I think that's a rather unusual sentence construction in that you seem to have the verb and all the interesting stuff in the note. Probably CP never thought of how that might pan out. 

Sorry - I thought that this might have been close to my issue, but I don't think that it is.

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021, 00:29 Miriam Smith <mims010122@...> wrote:

Hello everyone

Since the upgrade to V7, I’m now preparing a report for my niece and some of the sentences are not coming out the same as previous reports.  I cannot work it out, and as it is happening to heaps of sentences, I’m hoping someone can put me in the right direction.

This is what it looks like in the Fact page: He leased lands owned by Bridge Trust which bounded property of Sarah Sanders on 1 November 1834 in Northam, Devon.  (exactly what I want it to say.)

This is what it looks like in the Ancestors report: He leased lands owned by Bridge Trust which bounded property of Sarah Sanders.On 1 November 1834 in Northam.

Because of the date being later in the sentence, it has seemed to throw the whole lot into chaos and I have a lot like that which I have amended to read better in the context of the paragraph.  It hasn’t come like this previously and this is a report which I have often done.  Help appreciated as I don’t always want the date first.

Thank you, Miriam Smith

South Australia

Miriam Smith

Hello everyone

Thank you, Miriam Smith

South Australia