Exporting gedcom - date format

Mike Tate

There is definitely no option in the FH built-in Export > GEDCOM File... command to alter date formats.
As I said, the general reason is that most products only recognise GEDCOM Dates.
If non-GEDCOM Dates are imported to FH they become Date Phrases that need converting by a Plugin, which is a pain.

I think Quarter Dates are a largely UK phenomenon and so did not figure in the GEDCOM Specification.

It would be fairly easy to write a script for a Plugin or Notepad++ or many other tools to automate the translation from Between Date to Quarter Date.
There are only four relative rare cases to deal with if the 1st year can be wildcarded:
DATE BTW JAN 1867 AND MAR 1867 => DATE Q1 1867 i.e. replace DATE BTW JAN **** AND MAR with DATE Q1
DATE BTW APR 1867 AND JUN 1867 => DATE Q2 1867
DATE BTW JUL 1867 AND SEP 1867 => DATE Q3 1867
DATE BTW OCT 1867 AND DEC 1867 => DATE Q4 1867

There is a tiny risk that the 1st year might not be the same as the last year, but I suspect you could live with that.

Ian Philpot

Hi Mike

Thank you for that - I suspected as much!

One reason for using the "Q" format is because it's much less bulky than the rather awkward "bet July 1867 and Sep 1867". This is useful in designing family trees where space is at a premium, which is usually the case! Secondly, it emphasises the fact that the date is from a registration index and may not represent the actual event date and needs to be updated where and when possible. The phrase "bet July 1867 and Sep 1867" may simply be wrong, but suggests it is correct!

I used to use Peditree, which I gave up on some years ago, but it did export the dates as they were input, including the quarterly format. I use TreeDraw to customise my family trees - and that accepts the quarterly format!

It looks as though I will need to modify the exported gedcom file before import into anything else.

In reply to Victor Markham, I don't use any GRO plug-in as I don't keep all my GRO data in Family Historian, just the dates and registration district when I have nothing more accurate. It appears that wouldn't solve my problem in any case!

Many thanks

Ian Philpot

On 08/04/2021 19:58, Mike Tate wrote:
Welcome Ian,
The FH display of Quarter Dates is just a superficial cosmetic display option.
See Tools > Preferences > General tab, Use quarter date display format.
If that is not ticked then the standard GEDCOM Date Range format is displayed such as "bet Jul 1867 and Sep 1867".
Regardless, of that tick option the actual Project GEDCOM file always uses the Date Range format.
So, any exported GEDCOM will also use that Date Range format.
Any product importing a GEDCOM will expect that format and won't recognize "Q3 1867" and I think that includes FH.
Why do you want the GEDCOM to use the Quarter Date format?

https://www.avg.com

Mike Tate

Welcome Ian,
The FH display of Quarter Dates is just a superficial cosmetic display option.
See Tools > Preferences > General tab, Use quarter date display format.
If that is not ticked then the standard GEDCOM Date Range format is displayed such as "bet Jul 1867 and Sep 1867".
Regardless, of that tick option the actual Project GEDCOM file always uses the Date Range format.
So, any exported GEDCOM will also use that Date Range format.
Any product importing a GEDCOM will expect that format and won't recognize "Q3 1867" and I think that includes FH.
Why do you want the GEDCOM to use the Quarter Date format?

Mike Tate

Victor Markham

Do you use the GRO plug in to add this information

Victor

On 08/04/2021 4:51 pm, Ian Philpot via groups.io wrote:
I'm new to this list, so please forgive me if this topic has been covered before!

I store many of the BMD dates in Family Historian as, for example, "Q3 1867", being the date of registration in the third quarter of 1867. This is very often the most accurate date I have for the event. FH has no problem with that. However, on exporting a gecom file, this is always changed to "bet Jul 1867 and Sep 1867". It doesn't seem to matter which export format is used. Is there any way that I can get it to export the date as written, is "Q3 1867"? Strict gedcom conformance is not required.

Many thanks!

Ian Philpot

Ian Philpot