Family Historian - Digest #457

Jayne

Dear Robert

Thanks for your input Robert, which is much appreciated. I understand your explanation but unfortunately this is not my problem. I can see all items in the window you refer to. If there are 2 images, one will show as a thumbnail of the actual image - which is correct, but the other, and this is my problem, shows an icon pertaining to the program that will open it. (corel paint shop)  When clicking on the icon it does indeed open the image in all it's glory in my editing program. However, if I right click the icon and choose "view record in property box" or "view in Workspace Media Window" the program icon shows, not the image or even a thumbnail of the image.  I checked the Exif information for my jpgs that don't work in case there is some sort of security but there is nothing and the same photo shows correctly in another FH link anyway, so I a totally stumped.  I have also noticed that when this happens, that the images which only show as a program icon in various places throughout FH, don't show at all in my reports, not even as an icon, or thumbnail. This is definitely a puzzle.

Jayne

Original message
From: family-historian@groups.io <digestnoreply@groups.io>
To: inkernames@...;
Dated: 01/04/2021 06:23:39
Subject: [family-historian] Family Historian - Digest #457

Groups.io

This is a digest for Family Historian. View all your groups.io groups, and edit your subscriptions, here.
Do not reply to this email. To reply to a message, click the Reply link under the message.
 Topics in this digest:
1. Re: Media (jpg images) showing as icon
2. Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees (2)
3. Re: Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents
 1a. 
Re: Media (jpg images) showing as icon
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 00:20:19 PDT

Dear Inker

If I understand your problem correctly I have had the same issue. I have added an image to a source citation connected to a fact. However, in the fact, in the property box. no image icon appears against that fact.

If you highlight the fact and then click on the image icon at the bottom immediately under the list of facts a dialogue box will appear.. In the bottom right hand corner of the dialogue box are Check boxes to show Images from Source and/or image from Citation.

It seems FH occasionally gets it wrong and that dialogue box will be checked for Source images and not citation images. By checking the citation image in the dialogue box  you should now be able to see the image icon against the fact if you have added the image to the citation.

I think Calico Pie needs to look at this as it all seems to revolve around the new Citation box facility. The logic of editing a citation does seem a bit confusing as the steps one has to follow seem to be in the wrong order. which makes it easy to make a mistake.

In my opinion editing the Citation box should initially give you the option of editing the citation or the source. Having selected that everything else should follow That is any text, notes or images should relate to either the citation or the source. As it stands if one wishes to edit a citation to enter text and then an image one has to remember to go back to check the source/ Citation box  and that is easy to omit.

R A Jordan

Virus-free. www.avast.com

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic
 2a. 
Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 00:59:05 PDT

I have never saved any diagrams as PDF file I always save them as JPEG file. It lists the number of pages ypou can select. I have saved one covering 16 pages and this appears tiny but using my mouse I make them bigger. I have never printed any though.

Victor

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic
 2b. 
Re: Missing photographs in .pdfs of trees
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 01:07:26 PDT

Victor

If you don't want to print it, the PDF option is a good one, as most people can access it via the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.

There is a nice option to fit it all to one page, so you can zoom and scroll all in one window without having to open (or even print) multiple jpg files

Best Wishes

Neil.

3a. 
Re: Entering Siblings with Unknown Parents
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 02:28:19 PDT

I ve always entered the surname of the father, similar to Victor; simple.
The odds are on a marriage having taken place so dont enter a mothers surname.
When that wall is broken down the correct data can be entered.

Peter

Groups.io   © 2021 Groups.io

You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to family-historian@groups.io via inkernames@.... You can unsubscribe here.