Place Names Changing Over Time

rob.cook-genes@...

In many cases, place names in source documents change over time. In many cases, I have started out with one place name, only to change at a later time.

Example: Scott Twp., Ontario Co., Ontario, Canada is now Durham Region, Ontario, Canada as of January 1, 1974.

As well, many of the townships have been changed, amalgamated or dropped.

I have reviewed the guidance in  https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/working-with-places-and-addresses-for-new-users/  But geocoding may be problematic.

What do other FH7 users do to accommodate changing place names?

Thanks

Rob

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Every place has a Standardized field. From the Help file:

“Auto-geocoding (see the Map Window to learn more about geocoding) is normally based on the Place field (see previous).  However, if the Standardized field is not blank, geocoding will be based on it instead.  Some historical names may not be recognised, or may be incorrectly geocoded.  In this situation, you can either simply specify the correct latitude and longitude yourself; or you can supply a modern, standardized name which will be correctly geocoded.”

In many cases, place names in source documents change over time. In many cases, I have started out with one place name, only to change at a later time.

Example: Scott Twp., Ontario Co., Ontario, Canada is now Durham Region, Ontario, Canada as of January 1, 1974.

As well, many of the townships have been changed, amalgamated or dropped.

I have reviewed the guidance in  https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/working-with-places-and-addresses-for-new-users/  But geocoding may be problematic.

What do other FH7 users do to accommodate changing place names?

Thanks

Rob

Adrian Bruce

Just to be both pedantic and clear, if you have events at both Scott twp and Durham reg and you want to use the place name contemporary with the event (usually considered best practice), then you record events over time using both names. This will give you two place records (correctly). The place record for Scott twp then needs to have its Standardised name set to (the current value of) Durham reg.

Victor Markham

Whatever place name you use it needs to be consistent. If these have changed over time I would add a note about the change but keep the original name.

In Yorkshire one could put a place name say Scalby, Yorkshire, England. Problem her is there are 2 places in Yorkshire called Scalby. So it could be either Scalby, North Yorkshire or Scalby, East Yorkshire.

I would prefer to use township rather than twp. When it comes to places in Durham I alwaysa use County Durham as that is the full title for the county.

Whatever one does it is their choice but just make it consistent that is when the same place name is used use the same description.

I am not bothered about long/lat element

Victor

On 05/03/2021 10:57 am, Adrian Bruce wrote:
Just to be both pedantic and clear, if you have events at both Scott twp and Durham reg and you want to use the place name contemporary with the event (usually considered best practice), then you record events over time using both names. This will give you two place records (correctly). The place record for Scott twp then needs to have its Standardised name set to (the current value of) Durham reg.

David Wilkinson

My policy is to record the address and place as it was at the time of the fact. A good example is London. Up to 31st March 1889 London was just the "square mile" and many places were in their respective counties of Middlesex, Kent, Surrey etc. The County of London was formed of 1st April 1889 and continued until 31st March 1965 when Greater London was created.

I include in the place record notes field the dates that place was valid for and why it changed. As others have said, what ever you do be consistent.

David Wilkinson

On 04/03/2021 23:49, rcook@... wrote:

In many cases, place names in source documents change over time. In many cases, I have started out with one place name, only to change at a later time.

Example: Scott Twp., Ontario Co., Ontario, Canada is now Durham Region, Ontario, Canada as of January 1, 1974.

As well, many of the townships have been changed, amalgamated or dropped.

I have reviewed the guidance in  https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/working-with-places-and-addresses-for-new-users/  But geocoding may be problematic.

What do other FH7 users do to accommodate changing place names?

Thanks

Rob

rob.cook-genes@...

Many thanks for all your comments/suggestions – I have a way forward

Rob