Adding Pools Column to Individuals records Window

johnfirr@...

Real quick one as I know this is simple but cant quite work it out.

The concept of pools was discussed in an earlier thread but I cant quite find the answer.

I want to add a column to my individuals list in the records window that will show what pool they are in.

I know you need to use the function =RealtionPool () but I don't know where or how you type this in?

If I go to configure columns option it doesn't list Pools as an option and I cant find a box to type in the custom query function above.
What am I missing?
regards
John

Trevor Rix

In the Records Window, right click a Column header > Configure Columns > scroll down to the bottom of the left pane and double click Other > enter Pool in the first box > enter =RelationPool() in the second box > select Pool in the right pane and use the up and down arrows to position the Pool column to where you would like it > OK.

David Wilkinson

In the records window right click on the heading row, select Configure Columns, go to the bottom of the list and select <Other...> , click the right pointing arrow to move it into the right hand window, select it, click edit and you can enter a heading and the expression in the field Expression.

Hope that helps.

David Wilkinson

On 20/02/2021 07:50, johnfirr via groups.io wrote:
Real quick one as I know this is simple but cant quite work it out.

The concept of pools was discussed in an earlier thread but I cant quite find the answer.

I want to add a column to my individuals list in the records window that will show what pool they are in.

I know you need to use the function =RealtionPool () but I don't know where or how you type this in?

If I go to configure columns option it doesn't list Pools as an option and I cant find a box to type in the custom query function above.
What am I missing?
regards
John

Geoff Johnson

Ok, I've now set up a Pool column, but a very high proportion of ancestors are in pool 1.  I don't find that massively helpful!
What I'd really like to do is:
  • Be able to create or manually input an alternative to show which of the two sides of my parental family each applies to.
  • Create a similar third and fourth category showing my wife's two sides.
  • Better still have the database do this automatically!
Presumably one can alter the =RelationPool query to something different.
Or do I need to create a further `other' type query than Pool.

Educate me please.

Geoff Johnson

Brian Horridge

Geoff

This was discussed last year but I'll say what I did.

Create a column and copy the all the text below into the expression box (and give it a suitable title - I've used Anc Line).  You might need to change the "3" and "4" below as these need to be the FH ID numbers of your parents.  The column will then show either "Pat" or "Mat". for Pool 1 individuals.

=Text(TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Pat","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Mat",""))

Hope that helps

Brian

On 06/03/2021 15:53, Geoff Johnson wrote:
Ok, I've now set up a Pool column, but a very high proportion of ancestors are in pool 1.  I don't find that massively helpful!
What I'd really like to do is:
  • Be able to create or manually input an alternative to show which of the two sides of my parental family each applies to.
  • Create a similar third and fourth category showing my wife's two sides.
  • Better still have the database do this automatically!
Presumably one can alter the =RelationPool query to something different.
Or do I need to create a further `other' type query than Pool.

Educate me please.

Geoff Johnson

Yes, that identifies a Paternal versus Maternal branch, but Geoff wants the four grandparent branches.

So that needs either a more complex Expression, or two similar Expressions in two Columns but with different Record id.

The two Paternal grandparents in one case, and the two Maternal grandparents in the other.

Mike Tate

Geoff Johnson

Thanks Brian.  suitably modified that works a treat!  This is my version:

=Text(TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Johnson","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Harris",""))

I then got a bit cocky in order to follow the point Mike's made.  I reflected the theme by extending the Expression as follows:

=Text(TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Johnson","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Harris","") . Text(TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(143,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Stevenson","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(128,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Taylor",""))

But FH rejected the addition - `Expression is not valid'.
Something's wrong with my effort.  Can either of you advise my error please?

Mike Tate

You are almost there but there is a superfluous Text( in the middle.

To explain, the =Text(…) function must encapsulate all the TextIf(..) functions joined by dot operators.

So there must not be an extra Text( in the middle.

Also if you count up the opening and closing parentheses they don’t match but should be in matched pairs.

In addition, you must change the RelationCode Record Id 3 & 4 in the second half to 143 & 128 respectively.

Mike

Geoff Johnson

Thank you Gentlemen.  Just what the doctor ordered.
Having merged three projects into one, I've now got a quick reference column headed Family.  This tells me which of my original projects an individual is/was related to.
Inevitably I'm left with quite a lot of un-linked individuals needing dates and relationships to be gathered though.
Better get back to some proper work!
Thanks again.
Geoff Johnson

Robert

Geoff, any chance you can post the final working version for the grandparents please - I can’t get my head round it all!?

Many thanks,

On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 13:52, Geoff Johnson <geoff@...> wrote:

Thank you Gentlemen.  Just what the doctor ordered.
Having merged three projects into one, I've now got a quick reference column headed Family.  This tells me which of my original projects an individual is/was related to.
Inevitably I'm left with quite a lot of un-linked individuals needing dates and relationships to be gathered though.
Better get back to some proper work!
Thanks again.
Geoff Johnson

Mike Tate

In case Geoff does not see this, here is his corrected expression:

=Text(TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(3,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Johnson","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(4,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Harris","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(143,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(143,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Stevenson","") . TextIf(IsTrue(IsRelativeOf(Record(128,"I"),%INDI%)) and IsTrue(RelationCode(Record(128,"I"),%INDI%,SPOUSE_START,1) = 0),"Taylor",""))

But you will have to make several substitutions.

Firstly, the surnames of each grandparent branch must be replaced.

Secondly, the Record Id for each grandparent’s Individual record must be replaced.

e.g.

In the above expression Record Id 3 (in two places) relates to the Johnson grandparent branch.

Record Id 4 (in two places) relates to the Harris grandparent branch.

Similarly for Record Id 143 and 128 and Stevenson and Taylor branches,

Mike Tate

Robert

Thank you Mike, that is incredibly useful!

On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 19:34, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

Niggling problem!  Having set up the expression, done a Save and a backup as well, it's not present when I close and re-open FH.
Do I need to do something else to make it permanent?
Geoff

Brian Horridge

Geoff

I've got exactly the same problem.  Checked my FH and it's missing so I've just recreated the column (again), closed FH and it's missing when FH is restarted.  My original 2 ancestral line column is still there so I wonder if it's because of the length of the new function text.  (I'm still on FH6).

Brian

On 09/03/2021 21:36, Geoff Johnson wrote:
Niggling problem!  Having set up the expression, done a Save and a backup as well, it's not present when I close and re-open FH.
Do I need to do something else to make it permanent?
Geoff

Yes, unfortunately, it is the Column Expression length that is about 540 characters.

Over the years various expression length limitations have been discovered, reported, and some fixed but not that one.

In November 2017 for FH V6.2, I reported ‘Records Window Configured Column Length’ with log number 612125:

“If a Records Window configured Column has the sum of its Heading and Expression text greater than about 470 characters then it is NOT saved in the Windows Registry when FH is Closed, so when next opened that Column has vanished.”

That has still not been fixed in FH V7.

So please report it again to Calico Pie via http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php

The only workaround is to have two Columns with one for paternal grandparents and one for maternal grandparents.

Mike Tate

Brian Horridge

Mike

Thanks for confirming that.  I have tried creating a 2nd column for the grandmothers using their FH IDs  but (personally) find it does not add much so I've reverted to just the one original column.

Thanks

Brian

On 10/03/2021 10:53, Mike Tate wrote:

Yes, unfortunately, it is the Column Expression length that is about 540 characters.

Over the years various expression length limitations have been discovered, reported, and some fixed but not that one.

In November 2017 for FH V6.2, I reported ‘Records Window Configured Column Length’ with log number 612125:

“If a Records Window configured Column has the sum of its Heading and Expression text greater than about 470 characters then it is NOT saved in the Windows Registry when FH is Closed, so when next opened that Column has vanished.”

That has still not been fixed in FH V7.

So please report it again to Calico Pie via http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php

The only workaround is to have two Columns with one for paternal grandparents and one for maternal grandparents.

Geoff Johnson

Thank you Mike, I've logged that on inquiry (#578935)
Geoff