New download failure


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

Hello, I just downloaded FH7.  I went to create my first project in the Project Window.  I clicked "New Project" and this came up:  "The location for the new project does not exist and cannot be created." 

I am fairly certain we downloaded the project properly.  My husband formerly worked for IBm, so he is not ignorant of these things.  

Help, please?   I was so anxious to start my project!  Thank you!


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

Excuse me, I meant to say, I am fairly certain we downloaded the software correctly.


Trevor Rix
 

Kathy, after you installed FH7 were you initially presented with a dialogue to enter your name and the names of your parents, then assign a name to the project? This would have happened before you encountered the Project Window.


Lorna Craig
 

If you are starting from scratch FH will try to create your new project in the default location.  To quote from the Help files:

"By default, this folder will be "Family Historian Projects" in the default Windows location for user documents.  However, you can change this location to whatever you want. To do so, click on the location text as a link. A menu appears with 2 options: Choose Location and Reset Location to Installation Default.
Alternatively, you can also change the location by clicking on the More Tasks... button, and then clicking on Choose Location for Projects on the Project List submenu that appears."

Is there any reason why FH couldn't find your Documents folder? 

Lorna

On 17/02/2021 16:54, Kathy Bergman wrote:

Hello, I just downloaded FH7.  I went to create my first project in the Project Window.  I clicked "New Project" and this came up:  "The location for the new project does not exist and cannot be created." 

I am fairly certain we downloaded the project properly.  My husband formerly worked for IBm, so he is not ignorant of these things.  

Help, please?   I was so anxious to start my project!  Thank you!

_


Mike Tate
 

Hi Kathy,

Are you a first-time user of FH or did you install FH V7 over FH V6?

In the Project Window, what is the Location at the bottom set to?

It should default to ‘Documents\Family Historian Projects’ and that folder should have been created when FH V7 was installed.

But it is saying that the folder does not exist. Can you confirm that it does actually exist?

 

Mike Tate


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

No, no such dialogue appeared, Trevor.


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

Mike, this is a first time install.  I am a totally new user.  I've been hanging out in forums to learn about it but finally installed it.


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

Lorna - my husband will be home momentarily from a dentist appt.  I will ask him this question soon!


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

Mike - it did not create a folder in my documents/family historian projects location. It didn't create any location.

I just received a response from FH and they told me to do this:  "I presume you are trying to create a new project in the "Project Window" (see window caption). Below the list of "Family Historian Projects" is a field labelled "Location". I'm guessing that this is pointing somewhere that doesn't exist, for some reason. Click on the "More Tasks" button. Then click on "Project List" and choose "Reset Location to Installation Default" or "Choose Location for Projects". If you opt for the latter, pick a suitable folder that you want your new project to be put into."

 So I used this advice along with Lorna's suggestions (which were the same - thank you Lorna).  It did work.  I'll try to create the project now and if I have further issues I will get back.  Thank you all so very much.

 


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

Lorna, Mike and all:  I was able to establish the Family Historian Project file under Documents on my PC. I was able to get the Project start window to appear.  I put in my name, parents names, etc.  I hit the "create project" button and got a pop-up that says, "Unable to create project folder."

 

Any other suggestions?


Lorna Craig
 

So did you  "Reset Location to Installation Default" or "Choose Location for Projects", and if the latter what location did you choose?

Can you tell us exactly what is shown in the Project window where it says "Location:"

On 17/02/2021 19:32, Kathy Bergman wrote:

Lorna, Mike and all:  I was able to establish the Family Historian Project file under Documents on my PC. I was able to get the Project start window to appear.  I put in my name, parents names, etc.  I hit the "create project" button and got a pop-up that says, "Unable to create project folder."


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

Location:  My Documents\Family Historian Projects

Should it say "Documents" instead of "My Documents"?  The actual directory on my PC is "Documents"


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

I just tried a different approach.  I selected a specific location instead of the default.
Location now shows  C:\Users\Kathy\Documents\Family Historian Projects

I still get the same error "unable to create project folder" message after this change.


Lorna Craig
 

Yes, the folder name needs to match.  So change it to Documents.

On 17/02/2021 20:26, Kathy Bergman wrote:

Location:  My Documents\Family Historian Projects

Should it say "Documents" instead of "My Documents"?  The actual directory on my PC is "Documents"
_.


Lorna Craig
 

Is there actually a folder called 'Family Historian Projects' in Documents?  It should have been created when FH was installed.  If it's not there try creating it manually in Documents. Then go back to the Project window and try again to create a new project within it.

If it still won't work I'm baffled.  Perhaps someone else can shed some light?

On 17/02/2021 20:30, Kathy Bergman wrote:
I just tried a different approach.  I selected a specific location instead of the default.
Location now shows  C:\Users\Kathy\Documents\Family Historian Projects

I still get the same error "unable to create project folder" message after this change.


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

Aha!  It turns out that our virus protection software saw FH as a threat and was blocking the creation of the folders (and was also the problem with the initial download.  I have an open window.  We will see if any more problems arise.  Thank you, all of you, for your help.  I hope I shall not have to return with any more start up issues.  Have a wonderful day or evening, wherever you are.


Kathy Bergman <kathy@...>
 

Lorna - yes, I had to go create the folder myself - it did not create the folder upon installation.  I can only assume the protective virus software caused the glitch.  I got the program working -- and set the virus software to accept  family historian information.  I've had to do this more than once, though - so I'm not sure why the permission I gave is not universal.  I'll continue to watch where this occurs.  If I have to continue to give permission for FH to input data, I think it will get bothersome.  It will take some time to see why this is happening.    Thank you again.