Migrating to a new laptop

Sylvia.waterson21@...

Thanks everyone for your replies. Some good advice, always helpful

Regards, Sylvia

Sylvia.waterson21@...

Mike,
Thanks for your reply and advice.
You are correct, I am not planning to run both laptops long term - the existing laptop is nearing the end of its life and becoming more unreliable.

Regards, Sylvia

johnfirr@...

Yes Mike,
understood. I am waiting for new laptop to be delivered but had a dry run yesterday so I know whats what now and will have multiple backups!.
I was a bit worried about the plugin changing the registry as thats a black art to me! but again I have backed up to ywo seperate sorces. Now I have read the guidance several times I can see that the answer is to proceed carefully step by step and check as I go.
I,m glad I asked the question because otherwise I would have just used backup and then restore from the FH programme and this could clearly have led to issues. I,ll let you know how it goes, watch this space and as ever thanks to all for the advice. Oh and Sylvia apologies for possibly hijacking your post!

regards
John Firr

Mike Tate

The complexity is partly to cater for all eventualities, especially Media files stored anywhere, and partly because FH saves its custom settings all over the place.

Thanks Mike. I had seen that guidance but wasnt sure that it was correct for V7 so thanks for the clarification. You are correct that I just want to transfer between pcs and then will just use FH on the new one.
I must admit it looks a lot more complex than I thought but I will read the guidance carefully several times and proceed with caution.
Regards

John

johnfirr@...

Thanks Mike. I had seen that guidance but wasnt sure that it was correct for V7 so thanks for the clarification. You are correct that I just want to transfer between pcs and then will just use FH on the new one.
I must admit it looks a lot more complex than I thought but I will read the guidance carefully several times and proceed with caution.
Regards
John

Neil Grantham

I’d tend to agree.
Get your existing setup back on the laptop using the recommended method posted by Mike earlier which will capture all your settings etc.

Once you are sure it is all correct then do your update.
Read up on it first so you are ready.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App