Migrating to a new laptop

Sylvia.waterson21@...

Thanks everyone for your replies. Some good advice, always helpful 

Regards, Sylvia

Sylvia.waterson21@...

Mike,
Thanks for your reply and advice.
You are correct, I am not planning to run both laptops long term - the existing laptop is nearing the end of its life and becoming more unreliable.

Regards, Sylvia

johnfirr@...

Yes Mike,
understood. I am waiting for new laptop to be delivered but had a dry run yesterday so I know whats what now and will have multiple backups!.
I was a bit worried about the plugin changing the registry as thats a black art to me! but again I have backed up to ywo seperate sorces. Now I have read the guidance several times I can see that the answer is to proceed carefully step by step and check as I go.
I,m glad I asked the question because otherwise I would have just used backup and then restore from the FH programme and this could clearly have led to issues. I,ll let you know how it goes, watch this space and as ever thanks to all for the advice. Oh and Sylvia apologies for possibly hijacking your post!

regards
John Firr

Mike Tate

The complexity is partly to cater for all eventualities, especially Media files stored anywhere, and partly because FH saves its custom settings all over the place.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of johnfirr via groups.io
Sent: 14 February 2021 13:58
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Migrating to a new laptop

Thanks Mike. I had seen that guidance but wasnt sure that it was correct for V7 so thanks for the clarification. You are correct that I just want to transfer between pcs and then will just use FH on the new one. 
I must admit it looks a lot more complex than I thought but I will read the guidance carefully several times and proceed with caution.
Regards

John

johnfirr@...

Thanks Mike. I had seen that guidance but wasnt sure that it was correct for V7 so thanks for the clarification. You are correct that I just want to transfer between pcs and then will just use FH on the new one. 
I must admit it looks a lot more complex than I thought but I will read the guidance carefully several times and proceed with caution.
Regards
John

Neil Grantham

I’d tend to agree.
Get your existing setup back on the laptop using the recommended method posted by Mike earlier which will capture all your settings etc.

Once you are sure it is all correct then do your update.
Read up on it first so you are ready.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Feb 14, 2021 at 10:17 AM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Migrating to a new laptop

Personally I’d do the new laptop first and keep the program you are familiar with.  But which ever route you decide to use, it’s essential to make a complete back up of everything.  When I last changed computers I actually made two backups of everything on two separate devices, external hard drives, as I would have been deviated if anything had been lost.  Bit belt and braces, but better safe than sorry!!

Julia

On 14 Feb 2021, at 08:54, Sylvia.waterson21@... wrote:

Hi everybody,
Is it best to upgrade to FH7 before migrating to a new laptop - or to migrate to a new laptop and then upgrade to FH7?
Any advice will be much appreciated

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

Mike Tate

John,

Follow the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide it will work for FH V7:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-v5-v6-migration-guide/

You must migrate your custom settings as well as Projects and there are some gotchas regarding Media files.

Your situation is a bit different as you have already upgraded to FH V7.

I presume you are not planning to run both laptops in parallel synchronised together.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of johnfirr via groups.io
Sent: 14 February 2021 11:26
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Migrating to a new laptop

This is timely as I am taking delivery of a new laptop this week. Is it simply a matter of doing a full backup from my old machine, install FH on new machine then restore backup. Or did I read about having to manually move folders to maintain settings and plugins? I am on FH7.

_._,_._,_

Mike Tate

Sylvia,

I presume you are not planning to keep the two laptops running in parallel in the long term.

In that case, make full backups of your Projects and all your custom settings.

Use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin.

These are important for two reasons: 1) to migrate to the new PC; 2) In case you wish to revert to FH V6.

It is best to keep FH V6 running on your old laptop and also install FH V6 on the new laptop.

Then you can migrate the Projects and custom settings to the new laptop.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-v5-v6-migration-guide/

Then you can upgrade the new laptop to FH V7, but keep FH V6 on the old laptop for a while.

The alternative is to upgrade to FH V7 on both laptops, and perform similar backups as above but taking care not to overwrite the FH V6 backups.

Then migrate using the same Migration Guide which will also apply to FH V7.

What is NOT recommended is to upgrade to FH V7 on the new laptop and migrate the FH V6 backups.

The files are too different, especially for the custom settings.

Mike Tate

johnfirr@...

This is timely as I am taking delivery of a new laptop this week. Is it simply a matter of doing a full backup from my old machine, install FH on new machine then restore backup. Or did I read about having to manually move folders to maintain settings and plugins? I am on FH7.

Julia Vokes

Personally I’d do the new laptop first and keep the program you are familiar with.  But which ever route you decide to use, it’s essential to make a complete back up of everything.  When I last changed computers I actually made two backups of everything on two separate devices, external hard drives, as I would have been deviated if anything had been lost.  Bit belt and braces, but better safe than sorry!!

Julia

On 14 Feb 2021, at 08:54, Sylvia.waterson21@... wrote:

Hi everybody,
Is it best to upgrade to FH7 before migrating to a new laptop - or to migrate to a new laptop and then upgrade to FH7?

Sylvia.waterson21@...

Hi everybody,