Marrying Cousins

Robert Newberry

My first post! Hi everyone.
My Family Historian 7 seems to be having a problem coping with first cousins marrying. As soon as I try and link to the shared grandparents, it keeps giving me two duplicated lines of descent. I have a James Edmonds marrying an Ethel Parker. James Edmonds mother was Elizabeth Burr. Ethel parkers mother was Emma Burr. The parents of Elizabeth and Emma Burr are one of the same - Jonathon Burr.  i've completly started from scrtach on numerous occasions, but with always the same result. Unfortunately, it really messes up the tree. Hope this makes sense! Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Bob N.

Jenny Cochrane

I don't quite understand what you mean by "linking to the shared grandparents". You should only link an individual to their parents. This will automatically link them to the appropriate grandparents.

If you are trying to put in a separate and additional link, that would explain the duplication. I have several sets of cousins marrying and have never had a problem. FH works fine with just about any kind of relationship!

When you link or add an individual to a family make sure you use the appropriate choice for Link to Existing Individual or a new individual where appropriate.

Best of luck

Jenny

John Hanson

Bob
If you mean in diagrams it is just showing you that the person appears in two trees
No way to stop it (unless something sneaked into FH7 that I am yet to find!) but there has been many discussions over the years on how to reduce the impact of the ribbons

My Family Historian 7 seems to be having a problem coping with first cousins marrying. As soon as I try and link to the shared grandparents, it keeps giving me two duplicated lines of descent. I have a James Edmonds marrying an Ethel Parker. James Edmonds mother was Elizabeth Burr. Ethel parkers mother was Emma Burr. The parents of Elizabeth and Emma Burr are one of the same - Jonathon Burr.  i've completly started from scrtach on numerous occasions, but with always the same result. Unfortunately, it really messes up the tree. Hope this makes sense! Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Bob N.

Julia Vokes

I would wholeheartedly endorse Jenny’s comments.  I too have siblings marrying siblings, cousins marrying, sometimes across generations- first cousin once removed.  FH copes with it all brilliantly with the diagrams displaying coloured lines showing where the links are connected.  Makes things so much easier to see.  It’s also revealed some relationships that were not initially obvious.

Regards
Julia

On 30 Jan 2021, at 10:00, Jenny Cochrane via groups.io <cochranejenny@...> wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean by "linking to the shared grandparents". You should only link an individual to their parents. This will automatically link them to the appropriate grandparents.

If you are trying to put in a separate and additional link, that would explain the duplication. I have several sets of cousins marrying and have never had a problem. FH works fine with just about any kind of relationship!

When you link or add an individual to a family make sure you use the appropriate choice for Link to Existing Individual or a new individual where appropriate.

Best of luck

Jenny

Mike Tate

Hi Bob,

If you think about it, when cousins marry, they have joined two branches of the same family tree.

So the FH Diagram reflects that by showing both branches.

Presumably, you are getting coloured ribbons linking the people who exist in both branches?

I’m not sure what you mean by linking to the shared grandparents.

You need to select one cousin, and when adding their spouse, select the other existing cousin.

The grandparents should not be involved in the process, but will become common shared ancestors.

How the Diagram is displayed depends on who you choose as the Starting Person for the root of the Diagram.

Sometimes only one branch is displayed initially, but if both are shown then one can easily be hidden.

Also, there are options to adjust the coloured ribbons. See Diagram > Options > General tab Check for duplicates & Options button.

It is difficult to give precise advice without seeing your Diagram.

Unfortunately, screenshots in this Email forum must be reviewed manually by administrators, so may take some time to get through.

The FHUG Forum https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/ is much faster.

Mike Tate

My Family Historian 7 seems to be having a problem coping with first cousins marrying. As soon as I try and link to the shared grandparents, it keeps giving me two duplicated lines of descent. I have a James Edmonds marrying an Ethel Parker. James Edmonds mother was Elizabeth Burr. Ethel parkers mother was Emma Burr. The parents of Elizabeth and Emma Burr are one of the same - Jonathon Burr.  i've completly started from scrtach on numerous occasions, but with always the same result. Unfortunately, it really messes up the tree. Hope this makes sense! Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Bob N.

Robert Newberry

Thanks so much, I will have a re-look at it.

On 30 Jan 2021, at 10:00, Jenny Cochrane via groups.io <cochranejenny@...> wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean by "linking to the shared grandparents". You should only link an individual to their parents. This will automatically link them to the appropriate grandparents.

If you are trying to put in a separate and additional link, that would explain the duplication. I have several sets of cousins marrying and have never had a problem. FH works fine with just about any kind of relationship!

When you link or add an individual to a family make sure you use the appropriate choice for Link to Existing Individual or a new individual where appropriate.

Best of luck

Jenny

Robert Newberry

Many thanks for your comments. I will have another look at it as I've slept overnight!
Best wishes.
Bob

On 30 Jan 2021, at 10:49, Julia Vokes <julia.vokes7@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks so much Mike, let me study this and get back to you later.
Best wishes.
Bob

On 30 Jan 2021, at 11:11, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks so much John. Let me study this and get back to you later.
Best wishes.
Bob