Problem with citations

Douglas Sparks

In FHv.6 I used the “Where within” box in “Citation specific details” on its own to record my reference (eg DALE Album 15/ page 67) to the location in one of my many loose leaf albums of the piece of paper from which the entry was taken (eg print-out of census return etc).  This has worked well from when I started using FH, I think with v.3.

On upgrading to v.7 these references have disappeared.  In retrospect, I think I have misunderstood both the Source and citation boxes and misused the Citation box by not completing it fully but “Where within” appeared to be just what I required.

I imagine this now means having to find and re-enter the reference to every fact for each of the 3,246 persons recorded!  Please tell me I am wrong!   A possible saving grace is that I still have back-ups of my old v.6 (admittedly some months old) but other than buying a second PC and running v.6 on that and then manually re-entering in v.7 I can’t think of how to overcome the problem.   The last option, and a very retrograde one, I can think of would be to revert to V.6 which, obviously, I would prefer not to do.

I have searched FHUG for anyone with a similar problem but had no results.

Many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Douglas

Jane Taubman

I suspect you have not read all the notes provided for V7 upgraders.

To see your Where within notes double click on your citation in the property box to open the citation window.

Mike Tate

Luckily, you are wrong, and your data is all OK but viewed differently.

See FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders)

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/working-with-sources-and-citations-in-version-7/

Also the FH V7 Help for What's New in Family Historian 7? under New Citation Window.

[...]

Found them - What a relief!   Many thanks, Mike & Jane, for your very prompt help.

Douglas