Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

UK kris

Hi Mike, thanks for the prompt response. 
I have most place names as “parish, City, County “ sometimes I’ve added “Country”. 
In address it can be “Name of building/street number, street number, street name “.
So I want to add the address to the place beginning with building name/street # etc to the left of the place details, and presume the 2nd step will be to add the country to the enf/right of  place names. 
Also, in place have used “Regn District - “Name” for those GRO  B, M, D indices. 

Do I?
1) select all in input filter
2) open mapping options tab
3) select copy all address parts to all place parts
4) do I need to change the numbers ?
5) select erase place parts duplicating address parts ?
6) left justify all place parts to place 1
7) perform rearrangement of parts. 

Kristeen Simpkin

On 24 Jan 2021, at 1:34 am, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Kristeen,

It would be helpful if you could identify the plugin and exactly what you want to reassign.

I presume you are talking about the ‘Rearrange Address and Place Parts’ plugin.

Have you tried reading the guide via the ‘Help and Advice’ button?

The ‘Output Column Part’ rows identify all the Address and Place column parts you have allowed via Tools > Work with Data > Addresses/Places.

For each ‘Output Column Part’ choose the ‘Input Column Part’ you want to be assigned to that part.

If you want the current Address 1 part to move to the Place 1 part then in the droplist to the left of Place 1 choose Address 1.

If you want the Address 1 output to be cleared then select <blank> on its left.

The ‘Input Filter’ tab allows you to choose which Address & Place combinations you want to change.

Please explain how you want your Address fields to be reassigned to Place names and what you want to happen to the current Place name columns.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of kristeen.simpkin30@...
Sent: 23 January 2021 17:10
To: family-historian@groups.io; 'Mike Tate' <post@...>
Subject: [family-historian] Reassign Addresses to Place Names.

Hi Mike,

I have accessed the Plug In to reassign my addresses to Place Names but have absolutely no idea how to use it.

I clicked on the Input Filter Tab, and then had no idea what to do next.

Can you give me step by step instructions, please.

Regards

Kristeen Simpkin

Victor Markham

You say 'sometimes' added country. You should always add country. When it comes to Yorkshire always add East, North, West and (these days) South. There are similar named places in each part of the county

Victor

On 24/01/2021 4:07 am, UK kris wrote:
I have most place names as “parish, City, County “ sometimes I’ve added “Country”. 
In address it can be “Name of building/street number, street number, street name “.
So I want to add the address to the place beginning with building name/street # etc to the left of the place details, and presume the 2nd step will be to add the country to the enf/right of  place names. 
Also, in place have used “Regn District - “Name” for those GRO  B, M, D indices. 

Do I?

Kristeen Simpkin

Hi Kristeen,

It would be helpful if you could identify the plugin and exactly what you want to reassign.

The ‘Output Column Part’ rows identify all the Address and Place column parts you have allowed via Tools > Work with Data > Addresses/Places.

For each ‘Output Column Part’ choose the ‘Input Column Part’ you want to be assigned to that part.

If you want the current Address 1 part to move to the Place 1 part then in the droplist to the left of Place 1 choose Address 1.

The ‘Input Filter’ tab allows you to choose which Address & Place combinations you want to change.

Please explain how you want your Address fields to be reassigned to Place names and what you want to happen to the current Place name columns.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of kristeen.simpkin30@...

Hi Mike,

I have accessed the Plug In to reassign my addresses to Place Names but have absolutely no idea how to use it.

Regards

Kristeen Simpkin

UK kris

Thanks for that Victor,

When I started FH the vast majority of the family was based in Norfolk, and I thought “I know where Norfolk is”.  As time went on I found “foreigners”, and thought I know where Amsterdam is, etc., etc.,

It was only upgrading to 7 that I thought I really should tidy all the Addresses, Places and get consistency.  Hence my thinking “Oh, that plugin will do it easy.” Not so easy when I started looking at how many times I’ve changed adding in commas for blanks etc., ……

I saw Working with Places and Addresses for New Users and realised it’s a major revamp but as I am being asked by family  members for info I want to spend the time getting everything neat and tidy.

Kristeen

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 24 January 2021 15:57
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

You say 'sometimes' added country. You should always add country. When it comes to Yorkshire always add East, North, West and (these days) South. There are similar named places in each part of the county

Victor

Do I?

Kristeen Simpkin

Hi Kristeen,

Mike Tate

Hi Mike,

Regards

Kristeen Simpkin

David Wilkinson

Just a thought, have you tried using the Find and Replace option under the Edit menu, you can limit changes to just Places, or Addresses as you wish. I have successfully used this many times as well as the Search and Replace plugin. You would need to be careful if a place refers to more than one location though, i.e. Amsterdam and New Amsterdam. Just make a back up first though just in case and inspect the results output.

David Wilkinson

On 24/01/2021 08:16, UK kris wrote:

Thanks for that Victor,

When I started FH the vast majority of the family was based in Norfolk, and I thought “I know where Norfolk is”.  As time went on I found “foreigners”, and thought I know where Amsterdam is, etc., etc.,

It was only upgrading to 7 that I thought I really should tidy all the Addresses, Places and get consistency.  Hence my thinking “Oh, that plugin will do it easy.” Not so easy when I started looking at how many times I’ve changed adding in commas for blanks etc., ……

I saw Working with Places and Addresses for New Users and realised it’s a major revamp but as I am being asked by family  members for info I want to spend the time getting everything neat and tidy.

Kristeen

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io

Victor

Do I?

Kristeen Simpkin

Hi Kristeen,

Mike Tate

Hi Mike,

Regards

Kristeen Simpkin

Virus-free. www.avg.com

UK kris

Thanks for the hint David.
I have started some Find and replace  but I’m finding it hard to “see” how I really want the combined place name to look.

Kristeen 

Kristeen Simpkin

On 24 Jan 2021, at 5:57 pm, David Wilkinson <dewilkinson9@...> wrote:

Just a thought, have you tried using the Find and Replace option under the Edit menu, you can limit changes to just Places, or Addresses as you wish. I have successfully used this many times as well as the Search and Replace plugin. You would need to be careful if a place refers to more than one location though, i.e. Amsterdam and New Amsterdam. Just make a back up first though just in case and inspect the results output.

David Wilkinson

Thanks for that Victor,

Kristeen

Victor

Do I?

Kristeen Simpkin

Hi Kristeen,

Mike Tate

Hi Mike,

Regards

Kristeen Simpkin

Virus-free. www.avg.com

David Wilkinson

I adopted a strategy of only using places, but some others choose to use both place and address. An example of how I do a Place is

, 2 Claytons Cottages, Arkley, Barnet, Hertfordshire, England

i.e. Business or house name
street address
hamlet
town or village
county
country

for US places it is

house or business name
street addresss
town
county
state
country

i.e. country is always in column 6

Hope that helps

David

On 24/01/2021 11:50, UK kris wrote:
Thanks for the hint David.
I have started some Find and replace  but I’m finding it hard to “see” how I really want the combined place name to look.

Kristeen 

Kristeen Simpkin

On 24 Jan 2021, at 5:57 pm, David Wilkinson <dewilkinson9@...> wrote:

David Wilkinson

Thanks for that Victor,

Kristeen

Victor

Do I?

Kristeen Simpkin

Hi Kristeen,

Mike Tate

Hi Mike,

Regards

Kristeen Simpkin

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Adrian Bruce

Kristeen,
Forgive me but I'm a touch concerned about what you want / need to do.
The Plug-in won't help at all with updating your "Norfolk" to
"Norfolk, England" (or even "Norfolk, Virginia, USA") In fact, if you
add addresses into your place-names *first*, you'll get a much bigger
job to do because you'll get multiple entries per town in the
place-name, all of which need to be corrected.

Really, you should update the Place-records first to add the
countries, and hopefully you can just do that from the Places tab. If,
of course, you have references to "London" and you don't know if
that's "London, England" or "London, Ontario, Canada", then you have
to go to the people's facts, check it there and update it there.

As for your 2nd stage of adding / merging the address into the
place-name - I'd question why you want to do it. Yes, it's easier to
map individual addresses if you do that - but is that what you want to
do, or do you just need to print reports that make it clear which
Whitchurch it is? The plug-in will give you a very regimented view of
the data - do you need that? You might - but you need to ask yourself
the question...

Adrian

Mike Tate

DO NOT USE the ‘Find and Replace’ command to modify Place fields. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I have lost count of how many time I have given that warning.

Don’t come asking me to fix the resulting multiple Place records.

Mike Tate

UK kris

Ok Mike, got that message loud and clear. :)

Can I have your opinion on my going into every entry and adding the address to the place ensuring I have the correct number of columns and/or commas, irrespective of how many hours it may take me?

Kristeen. 

Kristeen Simpkin

On 24 Jan 2021, at 8:17 pm, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

DO NOT USE the ‘Find and Replace’ command to modify Place fields. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Mike Tate

Lorna Craig

Kristeen,

I'm in agreement with Adrian on this.

The first step is to tidy up the Place records by making sure they all have a country included, and that they all have the same number of comma separated parts, so that the country is always in the same (last) column.  It doesn't matter if some places have some blank parts - just insert the right number of commas.  You will need to do that manually.

The second step is to tidy up the Addresses (Use Tools>Work with Data>Addresses) so they also follow a regular pattern.

Then, and only then, you need to consider whether you want to add all the addresses into Place records.  This will mean you end up with a huge number of Place records, but some people prefer to work that way.  That stage can probably be automated if you want to do it, but you don't need to decide that until after you have tidied up the existing Places and Addresses.

Lorna

On 24/01/2021 12:43, UK kris wrote:

Can I have your opinion on my going into every entry and adding the address to the place ensuring I have the correct number of columns and/or commas, irrespective of how many hours it may take me?

Kristeen.

Kristeen Simpkin

Mike Tate

No, as advised by Adrian, don’t add Addresses to Places yet.

First, add the Country to all Places where that is missing.

Use the Tools > Work with Data > Places… dialogue.

That has columns headed Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc, so if necessary use the Columns… button to increase that to at least 4 columns.

Your objective is to ensure Part 1 holds the Parish, Part 2 holds the City, Part 3 holds the County and Part 4 holds the Country.

If you have a significant number of foreign, particularly USA place names that also needs a State, then that column alignment may need revising.

e.g. Parish, City, County, State, Country where in the UK you can use …, Norfolk, England, UK and in USA use …, Washington County, Alabama, USA

That will need 5 columns.

Select any Place name that needs adjusting and click Edit… and then Edit… again in the popup dialogue.

Edit Place Name until it has all the columns needed leaving a blank space between commas where necessary.

Eventually the Tools > Work with Data > Places… place list should have each column Part filled in or blank.

Click on each Part column header in turn so that it is sorted alphabetically.

So if you click on the column header holding Country then they should be listed in order.

If you feel you have far too many Place names to edit by hand then we may need to use the ‘Search and Replace’ plugin.

e.g. If you have a great many places in Norfolk without England then that plugin could convert them all in one go.

When all your Place names have been tidied then we can move on to Address fields.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of UK kris
Sent: 24 January 2021 12:43

Kristeen. 

Kristeen Simpkin

Mike Tate

John Hanson

One trick that Simon himself showed me a few months ago when talking about this issue was to use the “reverse display order” box at the bottom of the list of button

This sort the screen in the reverse order and easier to see instantly where the countries are missing

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 24 January 2021 13:45

That has columns headed Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc, so if necessary use the Columns… button to increase that to at least 4 columns.

Your objective is to ensure Part 1 holds the Parish, Part 2 holds the City, Part 3 holds the County and Part 4 holds the Country.

If you have a significant number of foreign, particularly USA place names that also needs a State, then that column alignment may need revising.

e.g. Parish, City, County, State, Country where in the UK you can use …, Norfolk, England, UK and in USA use …, Washington County, Alabama, USA

Select any Place name that needs adjusting and click Edit… and then Edit… again in the popup dialogue.

Edit Place Name until it has all the columns needed leaving a blank space between commas where necessary.

Eventually the Tools > Work with Data > Places… place list should have each column Part filled in or blank.

So if you click on the column header holding Country then they should be listed in order.

If you feel you have far too many Place names to edit by hand then we may need to use the ‘Search and Replace’ plugin.

e.g. If you have a great many places in Norfolk without England then that plugin could convert them all in one go.

When all your Place names have been tidied then we can move on to Address fields.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of UK kris

Kristeen. 

Kristeen Simpkin

Mike Tate

Andrew Braid

A further advantage of the reverse display is that you don't have to worry about how many levels there are in a place. Of course you must be consistent in the parish, town, county, country order.

It should help in spotting gaps but I have never used in this way.

Andrew Braid

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 15:05 John Hanson <john.hanson@...> wrote:

One trick that Simon himself showed me a few months ago when talking about this issue was to use the “reverse display order” box at the bottom of the list of button

This sort the screen in the reverse order and easier to see instantly where the countries are missing

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 24 January 2021 13:45

Mike Tate

Kristeen. 

Kristeen Simpkin

Mike Tate

UK kris

Brilliant Mike,

Also thanks to everyone for their advice.

I will do as you say, Mike, and take it a step at a time.  Country first, starting with England, then Scotland, Wales and Ireland. 

If it’s ok with you I’ll check back when the UK is done, or if I find a load of Counties missing their Country.

The foreign countries can wait a while. 

Once again, thanks for your patience.

Kristeen

Mike Tate

It is important to decide how you will format foreign country Place names now. They can’t wait a while.

You are familiar with UK place names and so it is the foreign ones that cause the issues.

If those foreign countries need an extra column, then you will have to revisit all the UK place names.

It may be a simple change using an appropriate plugin, but why add that extra hassle?

Mike

Jan Murphy

I highly recommend using the 'reverse order' trick posted by John Hanson, suggested by Simon Orde, while cleaning up place names.

I recommend NOT putting street addresses into place names.  (I am currently getting ready for a project to find people in the 1950 census by browsing, and am investigating other solutions for keeping track of street-level data.)

I recommend either standardizing the place on a modern place for ease in geo-mapping, while keeping the name of the place as it appears in the record in research notes, or standardizing on a specific gazetteer. E.g. for Germany, FamilySearch uses Meyers' gazetteer as its standard. If I find a place in the online Meyers Gaz https://www.meyersgaz.org/ I copy and paste the location as it appears there so FH will match what Meyers' Gaz has. 

The one thing I haven't settled on for my Do-Over is whether or not to include UK registration districts as part of the place name for my (mostly) English places.  The advantage would be that it helps to differentiate Kingsbridge RD from a GRO registration from Kingsbridge the place.The US has town, county, state, country and having four jurisdictions there, it seems sensible to have the town/parish, reg district, county, country in four parts too. 

Jan Murphy
Moderator Pro Tempore

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 10:12 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

It is important to decide how you will format foreign country Place names now. They can’t wait a while.

You are familiar with UK place names and so it is the foreign ones that cause the issues.

If those foreign countries need an extra column, then you will have to revisit all the UK place names.

It may be a simple change using an appropriate plugin, but why add that extra hassle?

Mike

Mike Tate

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Wilkinson
Sent: 24 January 2021 09:58

David Wilkinson

Thanks for that Victor,

Kristeen

Victor

Do I?

Kristeen Simpkin

Hi Kristeen,

Mike Tate

Hi Mike,

Regards

Kristeen Simpkin

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Rexarino

It appears that no one adds the "township" to the place fields for USA records. Therefore I presume it is included in the address, not the place?
Regards,
Rex

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:54 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Wilkinson
Sent: 24 January 2021 09:58

David Wilkinson

Thanks for that Victor,

Kristeen

Victor

Do I?

Kristeen Simpkin

Hi Kristeen,

Mike Tate

Hi Mike,

Regards

Kristeen Simpkin

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Adrian Bruce

Errm. Those US genealogists who worry about place name formats tend to stick to the GEDCOM idea that the place name is a jurisdiction. Therefore the township (assuming that you mean the level of local government) is the first element of their place names. 

As a result, an event can have a place name starting with "Springfield" (say) even though the settlement of Springfield isn't the settlement nearest to the event - instead the event is in the jurisdiction of Springfield township or whatever it's called in that state. (New York State calls them towns I believe, which can lead to even more confusion over what's meant.) 

If I have misrepresented the practices of any of our American colleagues here, my apologies!