Problem with Sources

waltonnz

Thank you so much. Your advice is appreciated as always.
Patricia

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 02:38, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Patricia, have you read the "Notes on Upgrading to Version 7"?

Those concerns ONLY apply to SOURCE record customised tabs, because the Source Citation features in FH v7.0 have significantly changed.

All other Property Box custom tabs are not a problem.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 21 January 2021 12:54
To: Family Historian <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Problem with Sources

Thank you Mike, your help is much appreciated. I now have the confidence to give it a go. 

It was the information below from a member in an email 10 Dec that put me off - the bit about settings being lost.

Patricia

"Most of my customizations to the Record Window, Property Box and Source Box

have disappeared.  I have read the "Notes on Upgrading to Version 7" about
restoring Property Box customizations and I was working my way through them
until I reached items marked 1, 2, & 3 which, after telling me what could be
done, then strongly recommended that I don't do it because settings will be
lost somewhere else.  I am now completely bemused and confused. "

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 00:32, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

I don’t understand why somebody would advise against the advice from Calico Pie in their Help pages.

Maybe you are confusing that with some other process.

Anyway, you will not lose any FH v7 features whichever way you recreate the custom Property Box tab.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of waltonnz
Sent: 21 January 2021 05:37

Thank you Mike. I saw an email from a member of this group saying they tried this but were advised against it. I'm not particularly bothered about the missing tab and I can set it up again should I need it, but I am concerned I would lose some of the special feature so vs7 in the process. The other customisations I made to the Property Box have been retained.

Patricia

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 01:48, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Patricia, you can retrieve your customise Property Box tab by following the advice in the FH Help > Family Historian Help > Notes on Upgrading to Version 7 under Important Notes on Restoring Property Box Customizations.

Mike Tate

Sent: 20 January 2021 12:24

So far I haven't found any problems with FH7 except there's a customised tab missing from my Property Box, but that's not really important. 

Patricia

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Mike Tate

Patricia, have you read the "Notes on Upgrading to Version 7"?

Those concerns ONLY apply to SOURCE record customised tabs, because the Source Citation features in FH v7.0 have significantly changed.

All other Property Box custom tabs are not a problem.

Sent: 21 January 2021 12:54

Thank you Mike, your help is much appreciated. I now have the confidence to give it a go. 

It was the information below from a member in an email 10 Dec that put me off - the bit about settings being lost.

Patricia

I don’t understand why somebody would advise against the advice from Calico Pie in their Help pages.

Anyway, you will not lose any FH v7 features whichever way you recreate the custom Property Box tab.

Mike Tate

Thank you Mike. I saw an email from a member of this group saying they tried this but were advised against it. I'm not particularly bothered about the missing tab and I can set it up again should I need it, but I am concerned I would lose some of the special feature so vs7 in the process. The other customisations I made to the Property Box have been retained.

Patricia

Patricia, you can retrieve your customise Property Box tab by following the advice in the FH Help > Family Historian Help > Notes on Upgrading to Version 7 under Important Notes on Restoring Property Box Customizations.

Mike Tate

So far I haven't found any problems with FH7 except there's a customised tab missing from my Property Box, but that's not really important. 

Patricia

Virus-free. www.avg.com

waltonnz

Patricia

Mike Tate

Patricia

Mike Tate

Patricia

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Patricia

Mike Tate

Patricia

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 00:17, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Correction: you can still see the toolbar, below where you have positioned the Citation window.

Sent: 20 January 2021 11:02
To: family-historian@groups.io

In your screenshot I can see that you have positioned the floating Citation Window over the bottom of the ‘Sources for’ pane, obscuring the toolbar for that pane.  If you move the citation window you will see the toolbar in the ‘Sources for ‘ pane has a cog wheel icon.  Click this icon and choose Display Citation As.. and then choose Source Record.  You should now see the name of the Source record displayed.

Lorna

Virus-free. www.avg.com

waltonnz

Patricia

Mike Tate

Patricia

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 00:17, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Correction: you can still see the toolbar, below where you have positioned the Citation window.

In your screenshot I can see that you have positioned the floating Citation Window over the bottom of the ‘Sources for’ pane, obscuring the toolbar for that pane.  If you move the citation window you will see the toolbar in the ‘Sources for ‘ pane has a cog wheel icon.  Click this icon and choose Display Citation As.. and then choose Source Record.  You should now see the name of the Source record displayed.

Lorna

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Thank you Lorna and Mike for your help. I had discovered the answer to my problem, but thanks anyway. I positioned the floating Citation window over the bottom of the Sources For pane as it makes it look like the layout I had  in FH6. I like what I have now. I was reluctant to install FH7 as there were so many users finding problems. So far I haven't found any problems with FH7 except there's a customised tab missing from my Property Box, but that's not really important. I'm just using the Sources and Citations in the way I've always done, taking the advice of the experts to leave the Source Templates alone for the time being. I love the new Word Processing features for notes. Altogether I've very happy with vs 7.

Patricia

Lorna

Virus-free. www.avg.com

waltonnz

Thank you Lorna and Mike for your help. I had discovered the answer to my problem, but thanks anyway. I positioned the floating Citation window over the bottom of the Sources For pane as it makes it look like the layout I had  in FH6. I like what I have now. I was reluctant to install FH7 as there were so many users finding problems. So far I haven't found any problems with FH7 except there's a customised tab missing from my Property Box, but that's not really important. I'm just using the Sources and Citations in the way I've always done, taking the advice of the experts to leave the Source Templates alone for the time being. I love the new Word Processing features for notes. Altogether I've very happy with vs 7.
Patricia

Lorna

Virus-free. www.avg.com

waltonnz

I've found the answer. It was an option at the bottom of the sources pane.
Patricia

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 22:50, waltonnz via groups.io <walton.patricia=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I seem to be getting the wrong information in the Source pane. Under Sources For - Name it should say 1901 Census, not RG13 which is Where Within Source. I have the same problem with all the source information I've checked so far. Is there a way to fix this please?
Patricia

image.png

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Mike Tate

Lorna is mistaken about your Citation window obscuring the toolbar at the bottom.

The cog wheel icon is the one next to the large blue arrow.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io

Lorna

Sent: 20 January 2021 09:50
To: Family Historian
Subject: [family-historian] Problem with Sources

I seem to be getting the wrong information in the Source pane. Under Sources For - Name it should say 1901 Census, not RG13 which is Where Within Source. I have the same problem with all the source information I've checked so far. Is there a way to fix this please?

Patricia

Lorna Craig

Lorna

Lorna Craig

Lorna

Sent: 20 January 2021 09:50
To: Family Historian
Subject: [family-historian] Problem with Sources

Patricia

waltonnz

Patricia

image.png

Virus-free. www.avg.com