MyHeritage browser support

grayn75@...

I'm getting this message from MyHeritage links:
This browser is not fully supported. For better results, use Google Chrome
However I do have Chrome and it is selected as my default browser. 
How can I get Family Histortian / MyHeritage tomuse Chrome rather than selecting another browser possibly Edge - it is not clear which browser is being used.
Any help would be much appreciated.  

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

You need to configure FH to use an external web browser (so it picks up your default browser): the setting is at Tools > Preferences > Internet Data Matches

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of grayn75@...
Sent: 10 January 2021 17:32
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] MyHeritage browser support

How can I get Family Histortian / MyHeritage tomuse Chrome rather than selecting another browser possibly Edge - it is not clear which browser is being used.

Graham Neilson

Many thanks Colevalleygirl, it now works well.

Much appreciated.

On 11 January 2021 at 09:08 "colevalleygirl@..." <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

You need to configure FH to use an external web browser (so it picks up your default browser): the setting is at Tools > Preferences > Internet Data Matches

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of grayn75@...

Graham Neilson 

Buildings Manager 

07724 992259

Robert Jordan

The Proposal by colevalleygirl works  but it effectively makes the web search window redundant.  I have raised this with Calico Pie with the same response. 
The websearch window allowed one to drag and drop, using an external browser will not allow that.
I suspect the problem which Calico Pie has is that they are using Internet Explorer which is in its death throes and sooner or later will have to change.
It would nice to think they will change it soon to allow the drag and drop facility
Here's hoping
Robert Jordan

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 16:33 Graham Neilson via groups.io, <neilson=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Many thanks Colevalleygirl, it now works well.

Much appreciated.

On 11 January 2021 at 09:08 "colevalleygirl@..." <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Graham Neilson 

Buildings Manager 

07724 992259

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Microsoft dictates that IE is used within an internal browser in a Windows application, not CP. It would be nice to think they would change it but I’m not holding my breath.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Jordan
Sent: 11 January 2021 17:01
Subject: Re: [family-historian] MyHeritage browser support

The Proposal by colevalleygirl works  but it effectively makes the web search window redundant.  I have raised this with Calico Pie with the same response. 

The websearch window allowed one to drag and drop, using an external browser will not allow that.

I suspect the problem which Calico Pie has is that they are using Internet Explorer which is in its death throes and sooner or later will have to change.

It would nice to think they will change it soon to allow the drag and drop facility

Here's hoping

Robert Jordan

Ian Thirlwell

For Microsoft Edge (Chromium) there’s the WebView2 control, though not being a programmer I’ve no idea how easy, or difficult, it would be to go that route. Quote from the relevant Microsoft page:

The Microsoft Edge WebView2 control enables you to host web content in your application using Microsoft Edge (Chromium) as the rendering engine. For more information, see Overview of Microsoft Edge WebView2 and Getting Started with WebView2.”

Ian

Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 5:09 PM

Microsoft dictates that IE is used within an internal browser in a Windows application, not CP. It would be nice to think they would change it but I’m not holding my breath.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Jordan
Sent: 11 January 2021 17:01

Here's hoping

Robert Jordan

Adrian Bruce

It's not even a version of IE that was released and has never been updated, IIRC. It's a "browser" that is built into Windows, as I understand it. After all, there has to be a mechanism of getting out there to start with, I've always assumed. Hence its replacement not being a simple Registry hack. (Unless anyone knows better!)

Adrian

Mike Tate

The IE Shell is built into Windows and underpins not only IE but the Desktop and Windows File Explorer, etc.

It is that IE Shell that Windows application developers have had to use.

I think the Microsoft Edge WebView2 toolset was only announced in the last few months, too late for CP to incorporate into FH V7.0

Also, CP says FH is supported on Vista, which is not supported by Microsoft Edge WebView2, so CP would have to drop Vista (no great loss).

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Bruce
Sent: 11 January 2021 17:42
To: Family Historian Groups.io mailing list <Family-historian@groups.io>

It's not even a version of IE that was released and has never been updated, IIRC. It's a "browser" that is built into Windows, as I understand it. After all, there has to be a mechanism of getting out there to start with, I've always assumed. Hence its replacement not being a simple Registry hack. (Unless anyone knows better!)

Adrian

Victor Markham

I don't use IE always Firefox wich is my default browser

Would this work on Firefox? It works with me

Victor

On 11/01/2021 6:49 pm, Mike Tate wrote:

The IE Shell is built into Windows and underpins not only IE but the Desktop and Windows File Explorer, etc.

I think the Microsoft Edge WebView2 toolset was only announced in the last few months, too late for CP to incorporate into FH V7.0

Also, CP says FH is supported on Vista, which is not supported by Microsoft Edge WebView2, so CP would have to drop Vista (no great loss).

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Bruce

Adrian

Mike Tate

Victor,

What exactly are you asking? Would what work on Firefox?

If you mean the MyHeritage ‘hints’ in FH, then yes if you select the External Browser option and Firefox is your default browser.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 11 January 2021 21:03

I don't use IE always Firefox wich is my default browser

Would this work on Firefox? It works with me

Victor

On 11/01/2021 6:49 pm, Mike Tate wrote:

Mike Tate

Adrian