Census data entry when different from other sources

Randy Dykhuis

Not quite sure the best place to ask this so I'll start here. It's a best practice question about names. I use Ancestral Sources to enter US census data. It is very common to have variant names used in different census years. The names may be at odds with other documentation such as birth and death records, too. How should this be documented in AS and FH? For example, my great-grandmother was born Zwenne Wandscheer. She married Gerrit Jan Kemkers and they emigrated from Germany in 1901. In the 1910 census her name is given as Susan. AS, of course, uses her birth name from FH as the default. Should I change her name in AS to match the 1910 census or leave it as is and record the difference as a Note?

Victor Markham

I would leave it as it is. Over time there are people who became known by another name even if it was not her birth name.

You can add a note to mention she was known as Susan. At the end of the Individual box prompt the 'more' button this will open another box which enables you to add 'alternative name'

She probably became known as Susan simo,y because it is easier to pronounce and remember than her German name

On 30/12/2020 4:55 pm, Randy Dykhuis wrote:
Not quite sure the best place to ask this so I'll start here. It's a best practice question about names. I use Ancestral Sources to enter US census data. It is very common to have variant names used in different census years. The names may be at odds with other documentation such as birth and death records, too. How should this be documented in AS and FH? For example, my great-grandmother was born Zwenne Wandscheer. She married Gerrit Jan Kemkers and they emigrated from Germany in 1901. In the 1910 census her name is given as Susan. AS, of course, uses her birth name from FH as the default. Should I change her name in AS to match the 1910 census or leave it as is and record the difference as a Note?

Randy Dykhuis

Yes, that has been my plan: Leave the birth name on all census records but record the different names in census records as alternatives and link them to the census record. Thanks for your comments.

[...]

David Potter

Hi Randy. I am using FH7 with AS7. I use the new feature in FH7 which allows you to Edit the Individual (Name) Link allowing you to record in the Text from Source table the exact name recorded in the Source. See the attached screen shot.

So the Names in Blue are actually Links to the person concerned. If you left click on a name it takes you to that person. If you right click and choose Edit you can type the actual name used within the Source. This same feature exists in AS7 for Census just now, so you can make that same Edit in AS7 or when it arrives in FH7.

David