Local Note truncated in query

dave@...

In v6 I had a query which returned an individual and their 1st Local Note  - %INDI.NOTE2[1]%
It concatenated all of the lines in the note.
e.g.
MARGARET SIBBALD

ADDRESSES:
Cavers, Roxburghshire, Scotland (03 April 1881)

OCCUPATIONS:
Mason (Hewer)

would display as:-
MARGARET SIBBALD  ADDRESSES: Cavers, Roxburghshire, Scotland (03 April 1881) OCCUPATIONS: Mason (Hewer)

However in v7 it only displays the first line:-
MARGARET SIBBALD

I'm assuming that this is something to do with the change to using word processing.
Does anyone know if there is there a workaround

Dave

Mike Tate

Yes, in FH V6 it showed approximately the first 150 characters in a Note and terminated it with ellipsis … if longer.

FH V7 has radically changed and only shows the first sentence or first line and a maximum of about 70 characters.

With multiline text like yours, there is no simple workaround.

It was suggested to Calico Pie that it was a backward step and that there should be a function to force all (or at least more) text to be displayed.

The only unsuitable solution is the one in the FHUG KB ‘Display long text such as Notes’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/display-long-text-such-as-notes/

e.g.

=Text( GetParagraph(%INDI.NOTE2%,1) . " " . GetParagraph(%INDI.NOTE2%,2) . " " . GetParagraph(%INDI.NOTE2%,3) )

But you would need to continue up to GetParagraph(%INDI.NOTE2%,7)

You could complain to Calico Pie with a http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php support ticket.

Happy New Year, Mike Tate

In v6 I had a query which returned an individual and their 1st Local Note  - %INDI.NOTE2[1]%
It concatenated all of the lines in the note.
e.g.

MARGARET SIBBALD

ADDRESSES:

Cavers, Roxburghshire, Scotland (03 April 1881)

OCCUPATIONS:

Mason (Hewer)

would display as:-
MARGARET SIBBALD  ADDRESSES: Cavers, Roxburghshire, Scotland (03 April 1881) OCCUPATIONS: Mason (Hewer)

However in v7 it only displays the first line:-
MARGARET SIBBALD

I'm assuming that this is something to do with the change to using word processing.
Does anyone know if there is there a workaround

Dave

dave@...

Many thanks Mike.
I'll log it with Calico Pie in the  morning.

dave@...

I had a variation of this issue yesterday.
Unlike my first occurrence involved multi-line notes, this applied to single line notes:

I have a query which returns the Note field attached to a Census event. - %INDI.CENS[1].NOTE2[1]%

However, the Note is being truncated at the first full-stop in the note.

e.g.

Note in full:        Living with husband and son Thomas. Also has lodger Elizabeth Tyson. [68 chars]

                                Mother is a widow. They are living with mother's parents [56 chars]

Query returns:   Living with husband and son Thomas….

                                Mother is a widow….

Long notes appear to truncate and show the ellipsis at around 75 chars.

However, the truncation of short notes appears not to be consistent.

e.g.

Note in full:         Twins. Both boys [16 chars]

This does not truncate at the full stop.

Yes, I could use =GetParagraph() etc. but that is unwieldy for a simple query.

I raised this with Calico Pie and was told "
he shortening is working as designed, I will log your comments for the developers. "

Personally I find this something of a bizarre comment.
I can understand it truncating at a set number of characters, but when it first encounters a full-stop? And even then it appears not to be consistent.