Source > Text from Source > Property Box - Can you fix the Box Sizes?

David Potter

Hi All

I think the answer will be No, but can you fix the size of the Property box windows such that the Table is the dominant view. I’m constantly having the resize the windows to view all Table entries.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

Trevor Rix

I am wondering -- why are you transcribing the census? If you download the census image and link that image to the individials concerned, all you have to do is Property Box > Media tab > select the census thumbnali > click the green circle to Open in Editor/Player to display the census image full screen. No time wasted in transcribing the census.

David Potter

Thank you Trevor. I appreciate your reply and have read before this is your preferred method. I want to do it this way to exploit all the new features. Individual Links, Rich Text formatting such as colour highlighting. Etc. Also going about it my way strikes a higher level of analysis in my opinion. I'm also using AS7 so it is not that heavy in terms of data entry.

Br

David

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020, 09:37 Trevor Rix, <trevor@...> wrote:
I am wondering -- why are you transcribing the census? If you download the census image and link that image to the individials concerned, all you have to do is Property Box > Media tab > select the census thumbnali > click the green circle to Open in Editor/Player to display the census image full screen. No time wasted in transcribing the census.

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

I’d argue it isn’t a waste of time to transcribe the census. It may take some time to puzzle it out, in which case you’ll only want to do it once rather than scowl at the image every time; you might want to publish the transcription in a report or on a website rather than the image (to save space, or because of copyright reasons); and most important of all transcribing the census means you’ve read every word of it and gleaned all the information it contains, rather than just “the bits you’re expecting”.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Trevor Rix
Sent: 22 December 2020 09:37
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Source > Text from Source > Property Box - Can you fix the Box Sizes?

_._,_._,_

David Potter

I couldn't agree more. Thank you Helen very good analogy.

David

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020, 09:50 colevalleygirl@..., <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

I’d argue it isn’t a waste of time to transcribe the census. It may take some time to puzzle it out, in which case you’ll only want to do it once rather than scowl at the image every time; you might want to publish the transcription in a report or on a website rather than the image (to save space, or because of copyright reasons); and most important of all transcribing the census means you’ve read every word of it and gleaned all the information it contains, rather than just “the bits you’re expecting”.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Trevor Rix
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Source > Text from Source > Property Box - Can you fix the Box Sizes?

David Wilkinson

I completely agree, if you want reports, web pages, etc to tell the story you have to transcribe it.

On 22/12/2020 09:50, colevalleygirl@... wrote:

Mike Tate

No, that size adjustment is not saved as many others are.

Please report that problem to Calico Pie at

http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Potter via groups.io
Sent: 21 December 2020 19:19
Subject: [family-historian] Source > Text from Source > Property Box - Can you fix the Box Sizes?

Hi All

I think the answer will be No, but can you fix the size of the Property box windows such that the Table is the dominant view. I’m constantly having the resize the windows to view all Table entries.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

David Potter

Will do thank you Mike.

Br
David

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020, 09:59 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

No, that size adjustment is not saved as many others are.

Please report that problem to Calico Pie at

http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Potter via groups.io
Sent: 21 December 2020 19:19
Subject: [family-historian] Source > Text from Source > Property Box - Can you fix the Box Sizes?

Hi All

Thank you.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

Adrian Bruce

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020, 09:50 colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

I’d argue it isn’t a waste of time to transcribe the census. It may take some time to puzzle it out, in which case you’ll only want to do it once rather than scowl at the image every time; 

If I were starting out now, with the ability to transcribe in proper tables, I'd possibly come to a different conclusion, but I ran into serious problems trying to legibly transcribe the later, many columned, US censuses and decided to simply attach the scan (to the Source Record, I hasten to add). I take exactly Helen's points though - any dodgy bits of text are individually transcribed by me into the Text From Source for that citation against that fact to avoid multiple reading attempts (note that I'm a Method 1 Splitter) while I hope that my working practices lead me to read every column on a census even without transcription prompting me. 

My usual caveat - for various reasons, some purely historical, I don't use AS.

Adrian

Victor Markham

Adrian

I would like to say that if you use AS you transcribe details of the census onto there. If you then do a narrative reporrt the transcribed details will appear on there as well as the image

Victor

On 22/12/2020 10:57 am, Adrian Bruce wrote:

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020, 09:50 colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

I’d argue it isn’t a waste of time to transcribe the census. It may take some time to puzzle it out, in which case you’ll only want to do it once rather than scowl at the image every time; 

If I were starting out now, with the ability to transcribe in proper tables, I'd possibly come to a different conclusion, but I ran into serious problems trying to legibly transcribe the later, many columned, US censuses and decided to simply attach the scan (to the Source Record, I hasten to add). I take exactly Helen's points though - any dodgy bits of text are individually transcribed by me into the Text From Source for that citation against that fact to avoid multiple reading attempts (note that I'm a Method 1 Splitter) while I hope that my working practices lead me to read every column on a census even without transcription prompting me. 

My usual caveat - for various reasons, some purely historical, I don't use AS.

Adrian

Mike Tate

Just to add that the transcribed Text From Source and the Media image are both optional in any type of Report and in FH v7.0 the former can be set globally in Tools > Preferences > Sources.