Using Search & Replace causes Text from Source issues with Individual Links

David Potter

Hi All

Can anyone throw some light on this issue, maybe with a work around.

I want to make a minor change to a Place detail, EG Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Torfaen, Monmouthshire, Wales. I want to change to Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales, therefore dropping the word Torfaen.

So I use Search and Replace and afterwards I notice the Individual Links in the Text from Source are now underlined with a dotted line, meaning the link has lost its focus Individual. If I click on the dotted links no Individual is found.

Is this a bug, or is there some work around or setting in Search & Replace that will prevent this issue. I can’t follow why changing Place details, and related Text would destroy this particular feature.

Thank You.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

Mike Tate

Hi David,

Sorry about that problem.

That change is more complicated than you realise for two reasons.

Firstly, changing a Place name has a major impact on its Place record.

Changing the Place name in any Fact causes a new blank Place record to be created.

The old Place record potentially with Lat/Longitude, Notes, Media, etc, becomes unlinked.

Check the Records Window on the Places tab and you’ll find both entries for Panteg, Nr Pontypool.

This happens whether you use the Edit > Find and Replace… command or the Search and Replace plugin, although the plugin does have a special mode that circumvents the problem.

Despite a special FAQ, users fall into the trap, so I plan to add some warnings & advice to a plugin popup message when a user attempts to change Place names.

Secondly, it is becoming clear there are problems when a plugin updates a ‘rich text’ Note or Text From Source field, as is happening here, and links can get upset.

So I need to investigate whether that is a mistake in my plugin or a bug in FH v7.

For the time being, you need to undo the changes.

If you have closed FH then it is too late to use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates.

So use File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot… and choose a Snapshot Taken just before running the plugin. That will revert to the GEDCOM automatically saved on that date.

I can only apologise, but these new ‘rich text’ features are a challenge to plugin authors.

Mike Tate

Can anyone throw some light on this issue, maybe with a work around.

I want to make a minor change to a Place detail, EG Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Torfaen, Monmouthshire, Wales. I want to change to Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales, therefore dropping the word Torfaen.

So I use Search and Replace and afterwards I notice the Individual Links in the Text from Source are now underlined with a dotted line, meaning the link has lost its focus Individual. If I click on the dotted links no Individual is found.

Is this a bug, or is there some work around or setting in Search & Replace that will prevent this issue. I can’t follow why changing Place details, and related Text would destroy this particular feature.

Thank You.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

David Potter

Hi Mike

Thanks for the quick reply, no problem at all, I just could not see the connection as to why it should upset those Individual Links in the Text from Source. I’m aware of the issue with Place names, I merge the ‘duplicate’ records into the one I want to keep and check thoroughly Rich Text after the update, and the Text from Source where the Place Name also exists. Census facts conveniently inherit the merged Place value as you would expect. I also discovered that the Source Title may need refreshing if Auto Title is on and Location filed has now updated, and Media Titles might also need a refresh if they are aligned with the Source Title by using the Rename Source Media Plug-In.

Let me know once you have checked things out via the Plug-In and if need be I can report it to CP.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

Can anyone throw some light on this issue, maybe with a work around.

I want to make a minor change to a Place detail, EG Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Torfaen, Monmouthshire, Wales. I want to change to Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales, therefore dropping the word Torfaen.

So I use Search and Replace and afterwards I notice the Individual Links in the Text from Source are now underlined with a dotted line, meaning the link has lost its focus Individual. If I click on the dotted links no Individual is found.

Is this a bug, or is there some work around or setting in Search & Replace that will prevent this issue. I can’t follow why changing Place details, and related Text would destroy this particular feature.

Thank You.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

Mike Tate

The solution to the Place name issue is to just rename the Place record.

Then all the Place fields that link to the record automatically adopt the new name.

The ‘rich text’ problem and some of the other ‘relationships’ you mentioned may be a big challenge for the Search and Replace plugin. I have had a quick look at the plugin Help for ‘rich text’ and there may be a solution but Calico Pie have not made it easy.

Tomorrow is another day…

Can anyone throw some light on this issue, maybe with a work around.

I want to make a minor change to a Place detail, EG Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Torfaen, Monmouthshire, Wales. I want to change to Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales, therefore dropping the word Torfaen.

So I use Search and Replace and afterwards I notice the Individual Links in the Text from Source are now underlined with a dotted line, meaning the link has lost its focus Individual. If I click on the dotted links no Individual is found.

Is this a bug, or is there some work around or setting in Search & Replace that will prevent this issue. I can’t follow why changing Place details, and related Text would destroy this particular feature.

Thank You.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

Victor Markham

Just open Tools then prompt 'work with data then prompt places and edit it there

Victor

On 19/12/2020 5:22 pm, David Potter via groups.io wrote:

Hi All

Can anyone throw some light on this issue, maybe with a work around.

I want to make a minor change to a Place detail, EG Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Torfaen, Monmouthshire, Wales. I want to change to Panteg, Nr Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales, therefore dropping the word Torfaen.

So I use Search and Replace and afterwards I notice the Individual Links in the Text from Source are now underlined with a dotted line, meaning the link has lost its focus Individual. If I click on the dotted links no Individual is found.

Is this a bug, or is there some work around or setting in Search & Replace that will prevent this issue. I can’t follow why changing Place details, and related Text would destroy this particular feature.

Thank You.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

Robert Jordan

I read with interest the above topic. I too had a problem with changing the place name in a fact insofar as the record on the map changed to nowhere near the exact location after I had corrected a misspelling.
At the time Mike Tate said he could not reproduce my experience.

Now it becomes a lot clearer.
Mike now says

Changing the Place name in any Fact causes a new blank Place record to be created.

The old Place record potentially with Lat/Longitude, Notes, Media, etc, becomes unlinked

That to me smacks of a bug in the program. It is totally illogical if an amendment is made to the place in a fact for the system to create a new record, the existing one should be amended.

I hope Simon Orde will take this on board to fix this bug

R A Jordan

Victor Markham

Mike

My experience in doing this if there was only one instance of the incorrect place name what you say is fine and all that is needed was to change it at the persons name. If there are more than one instances it won't automatically change all the other place names.

If one place name was correct and another incorrect (e.g. left out the county or country name or spelt it wrongly) correcting one will not automatically change the others. But in tools- work with data- place it has the option of merging the two versions of the place name and you just have to pick the correct one.

Problem is if there are more than one incorrect place name tools-work with data- place names does not give the option to correct it. At least that is what I found in V6. Earlier versions did give this option.

I haven't checked this out in V7 yet. To get round this problem I went to the persons name and corrected the place name there. If this was used more than once I went to tools and merged the two versions of the place name selecting the right one.

Victor

If there are other instances

On 19/12/2020 10:14 pm, Mike Tate wrote:

[...]

Thank you Victor, yes I’m aware of that method. Sometimes you inadvertently end up with two almost identical records which then need to merged.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

[...]

John James

"I hope Simon Orde will take this on board to fix this bug"

Raise a support ticket ... http://support.calico-pie.com/open.php

John

Lorna Craig

Robert, this is not a bug. The way to change the spelling of a Place name is to change it in the Place Record itself.   This will then automatically change the spelling in all of the fields where that place has been used.

It could potentially be a disaster if a change in one field where a place name is used changed the spelling in all other instances.   It’s quite common for there to be two places with very similar names.   As an example, consider Cobham and Chobham in Surrey.   Suppose you already a place called Cobham in your project, with many instances of its use.  One day you accidentally record an event as having been in Cobham and then realise it should have been Chobham.  You change it in the record in which you have just entered it.  If this changed all instances of Cobham to Chobham all the others would then be wrong!

(Sorry if this message gets duplicated.  One I sent half an hour ago has not reached the group).

Lorna

[...]

Another example is Scalby, North Yorkshire (which is near Scarborough). There is Scalby, East Yorkshire (which is near Gilberdyke - West of Hull)

There are many similar place names in different counties so it is important to get the county name right

Victor

On 20/12/2020 11:12 am, Lorna Craig via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Just to keep my original post in context. I wanted to change a single Place detail (that has no alternatives within my project at least) everywhere it can be found. Including Place, Source/Citations, Facts, Media and Rich Text. In effect Anywhere and Everywhere.

I use the Search & Replace Plug-In set for Search Only in the first instance. Once I have checked what is found is reasonable. I then make a second run in update mode. This works perfectly.

Mike Tate is investigating why the Plug-In or perhaps FH itself caused the Individual Links with the Text from Source to lose their focus. So until Mike has finished checking, we don’t yet know the Root cause.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

[...]

David, yes I understand that what you were doing was a bit different.   But Robert Jordan had picked up on the (slightly incidental) point that changing the spelling of a place in one instance of its use does not change the spelling of that place globally but instead creates a new Place record with the new spelling.  He thought this was a bug, and someone else had suggested he raise a ‘ticket’ with Calico Pie to report it.   I just wanted to make it clear that it is not a bug, and explain why.

Lorna

Just to keep my original post in context. I wanted to change a single Place detail (that has no alternatives within my project at least) everywhere it can be found. Including Place, Source/Citations, Facts, Media and Rich Text. In effect Anywhere and Everywhere.

I use the Search & Replace Plug-In set for Search Only in the first instance. Once I have checked what is found is reasonable. I then make a second run in update mode. This works perfectly.

Mike Tate is investigating why the Plug-In or perhaps FH itself caused the Individual Links with the Text from Source to lose their focus. So until Mike has finished checking, we don’t yet know the Root cause.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

David Potter

Yes I see. Thank you Lorna

Br

David

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020, 12:55 Lorna Craig via groups.io, <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

There is an updated Search and Replace plugin in the FHUG Forum 'Plugin Discussions' that hopefully resolves the problems.

I have been trying to post that news for ages but gets "blocked for containing SPAM-like characteristics."

David Potter

Thank you very much Mike I'll take a look and report back here ASAP.

Br

David

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020, 14:39 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:
There is an updated Search and Replace plugin in the FHUG Forum 'Plugin Discussions' that hopefully resolves the problems.

I have been trying to post that news for ages but gets "blocked for containing SPAM-like characteristics."

David Potter

Hi Mike

I was using version 3.1 dated 10th Dec 2020. So I’m thinking the problem will still exist as that is the one I have been using.

Kind Regards

David Charles Potter

There is an updated Search and Replace plugin in the FHUG Forum 'Plugin Discussions' that hopefully resolves the problems.

I have been trying to post that news for ages but gets "blocked for containing SPAM-like characteristics."

Mike Tate

It is Version 3.1.1 Dated 20 Dec 2020 in the FHUG Forum not the Plugin Store.

Emailing that post it gets "blocked for containing SPAM-like characteristics."

David Potter

Thank you Mike. Sorry for misunderstanding your post.

David