New computer AND stay with version 6

Sheila Beer

Looking good - thanks so much Mike

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 14:13, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

OK, that makes things easier.

If you have mislaid the installation download file you bought, then you can download the Family Historian 6 (30-Day Free Trial) from:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads/download-archive

As well as the licence key (which you should not have published here) you need your licence name.

If you have mislaid that, then in FH use Help > About Family Historian… and it should be listed at the top as Registered To.

So on your new computer run the install_fh6.2.7_dl.exe downloaded file.

It will ask for your licence name and your licence key.

I suggest you copy & paste the licence key rather than type it in by hand.

Once FH is running on your new computer return to the FHUG KB steps:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-v5-v6-migration-guide/

There under Standard Migration Steps it is important to follow each step from 1) to 8).

You have already partly completed steps 2) and 3).

At step 4) you can use your external drive.

Let me know if anything is not clear.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sheila Beer
Sent: 15 December 2020 13:37
To: family historian io <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New computer AND stay with version 6

It was a full version 'cause I think I was working with a very early version and could only get a complete new version.

Reg. key     000NGD-A8J0Y3-9YJ065-Q4HCHC-AUTPN2-TVU5QY-2RCV6K-HVKF6D

Thanks so much Mike

Sheila

Mike Tate

OK, that makes things easier.

If you have mislaid the installation download file you bought, then you can download the Family Historian 6 (30-Day Free Trial) from:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads/download-archive

As well as the licence key (which you should not have published here) you need your licence name.

If you have mislaid that, then in FH use Help > About Family Historian… and it should be listed at the top as Registered To.

So on your new computer run the install_fh6.2.7_dl.exe downloaded file.

It will ask for your licence name and your licence key.

I suggest you copy & paste the licence key rather than type it in by hand.

Once FH is running on your new computer return to the FHUG KB steps:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-v5-v6-migration-guide/

There under Standard Migration Steps it is important to follow each step from 1) to 8).

You have already partly completed steps 2) and 3).

At step 4) you can use your external drive.

Let me know if anything is not clear.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sheila Beer
Sent: 15 December 2020 13:37
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New computer AND stay with version 6

It was a full version 'cause I think I was working with a very early version and could only get a complete new version.

Thanks so much Mike

Sheila

Sheila Beer

Thanks so much Mike

Sheila

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 13:07, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Sheila,

You must install FH v6.2 in much the same way as you did on the old computer.

Was the FH v6 download a full version or an upgrade from FH v5?

You will need the FH v6 licence name and key.

If an upgrade then you need the FH v5 licence name and key and the installation download file too.

Tell us what you have and what is missing and we can take it from there.

Mike Tate

Sent: 15 December 2020 12:50
Subject: [family-historian] New computer AND stay with version 6

Hi Guys

I would like to stay using version 6 (which I have installed, and I know the registration key, on the old computer).

So I need to copy the program to my new computer.

My question is how?

I've looked and looked at the info on the FHUG site (I've run/updated the Backup and restore and copied that onto my external drive and installed that onto the new computer).

Can someone tell me (i'm old and definitely not tech minded) in simple terms, one step at a time, how to copy, using my external drive,  the version 6.2.7 programm from old to new computer.   I know that 2 installations per registration no. IS allowed.   I thought about buying a CD version 6 from Amazon but new computer has no CD/DVD drive.  My version six was a download.

Don't get old girls and boys!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much.

Sheila Beer

Mike Tate

Hi Sheila,

You must install FH v6.2 in much the same way as you did on the old computer.

Was the FH v6 download a full version or an upgrade from FH v5?

You will need the FH v6 licence name and key.

If an upgrade then you need the FH v5 licence name and key and the installation download file too.

Tell us what you have and what is missing and we can take it from there.

Mike Tate

Sent: 15 December 2020 12:50
Subject: [family-historian] New computer AND stay with version 6

Hi Guys

I would like to stay using version 6 (which I have installed, and I know the registration key, on the old computer).

My question is how?

I've looked and looked at the info on the FHUG site (I've run/updated the Backup and restore and copied that onto my external drive and installed that onto the new computer).

Can someone tell me (i'm old and definitely not tech minded) in simple terms, one step at a time, how to copy, using my external drive,  the version 6.2.7 programm from old to new computer.   I know that 2 installations per registration no. IS allowed.   I thought about buying a CD version 6 from Amazon but new computer has no CD/DVD drive.  My version six was a download.

Thank you so much.

Sheila Beer

Sheila Beer

Hi Guys

My question is how?

Thank you so much.

Sheila Beer