FH Exception Report

John James

Probably being dim, but where does one find the FH Exception Report?  E.g. after opening an old Project /Gedcom file in FH7 for the first time.  I've looked through the Help, and whilst exception reports are mentioned, their location isn't.  Or is this something that's only displayed in case of need, and isn't a physical file on disk?

Thanks,
John

David Potter

I'm no expert here. But I think the report is created when you import a gedcom file from another product.

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020, 23:15 John James, <gladtobegrey@...> wrote:
Probably being dim, but where does one find the FH Exception Report?  E.g. after opening an old Project /Gedcom file in FH7 for the first time.  I've looked through the Help, and whilst exception reports are mentioned, their location isn't.  Or is this something that's only displayed in case of need, and isn't a physical file on disk?

Thanks,
John

Derek Kain

Hello John,
Try looking in the log files directory within the project folder.
Derek

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 at 23:18, David Potter via groups.io <David.potter5=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm no expert here. But I think the report is created when you import a gedcom file from another product.

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020, 23:15 John James, <gladtobegrey@...> wrote:
Probably being dim, but where does one find the FH Exception Report?  E.g. after opening an old Project /Gedcom file in FH7 for the first time.  I've looked through the Help, and whilst exception reports are mentioned, their location isn't.  Or is this something that's only displayed in case of need, and isn't a physical file on disk?

Thanks,
John

John James

Hello Derek,

I cannot find any such folder anywhere in this project's folder structure.

John

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020, 07:27 Derek Kain, <genealogist15@...> wrote:
[...]

Open File Explorer and click on Local disc (in my case it is C:) and in search type 'Exception'.
Wait. If nothing is found then there is no Exception Report to view.
Derek

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 08:11, John James <gladtobegrey@...> wrote:
[...]

Terry Jacombs

Hello

My recollection is that the exception report from my upgrade from v6 to v7 was stored in C:Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppDate/Local/Temp (replace YOURUSERNAME with the name of your account on the PC). I would imagine that other error logs from GEDCOM loads etc would also be placed in there.

All sorts of temporary stuff goes in there so it can be hard to spot a particular file sometimes - in principal anything in there can be deleted as it is only used for transient files by installers, loggers, debuggers etc, but other than using storage there is no problem just leaving it there.

Kind Regards
Terry Jacombs

--
Kind Regards
Terry Jacombs

--
Terry Jacombs

Terry Jacombs

Hello again

Just checked and the file was in the location I gave previously - in my case the file name was "2020-12-11 13.12  Gedcom Report.txt" the figures being the date and time i opened the project for the first time in V7.

Kind Regards
Terry Jacombs

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 08:47, Terry Jacombs via groups.io <terryjacombs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mike Tate

Guys, the easiest method is via Window > Log Files… command.

Mike Tate

[...]

Thanks all for your responses.

Mike, that's far too simple and obvious! 😋

Do I assume correctly, then, that if there are no exceptions, no file is produced?  It might be more reassuring to see a log file that stated that positively, rather than being implied by its absence.

John

Mike Tate

Yes, if there are no Exceptions then there is no Exception report.

Be aware that the Exception report and Validation report and other logs are only saved in Projects and not for standalone GEDCOM files.

Mike Tate

Mike, that's far too simple and obvious! 😋

Do I assume correctly, then, that if there are no exceptions, no file is produced?  It might be more reassuring to see a log file that stated that positively, rather than being implied by its absence.

John

Terry Jacombs

Yes it is the reports from standalone gedcoms which go into C:Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppDate/Local/Temp, I was loading up an old gedcom from a relative which I refer to on occasions and generated a few errors. My two projects both loaded up with exceptions.

Kind regards
Terry Jacombs