We're having email problems on the Family Historian website!

Simon Orde

As some of you may already have discovered, we've had to temporarily put the Family Historian store into maintenance mode.  We had a very high surge in demand, and this seems to have caused problems with our email server, which we are currently investigating.  Our apologies to anyone who has been inconvenienced.  Please bear with us as we sort this out.  Thank you.

Victor Markham

I would like to clarify one thing.

If I have a version 6 from a previous upgrade (I have upgraded everytime) do I need to download the full version or do I qualify for the discount version?

Victor

On 08/12/2020 5:27 pm, Simon Orde wrote:
As some of you may already have discovered, we've had to temporarily put the Family Historian store into maintenance mode.  We had a very high surge in demand, and this seems to have caused problems with our email server, which we are currently investigating.  Our apologies to anyone who has been inconvenienced.  Please bear with us as we sort this out.  Thank you.

Neil Grantham

Victor

If you have an account (you will need one), and when FH have fixed the email issue. When you go to the Upgrade option - specifically this page Family Historian 7 Upgrade – Family Historian 7 (family-historian.co.uk) - you can put in your License name and number and it will tell you what discount if any you are due.

It states

"The discount for version 6 users normally starts at 30%. The discount for version 5 users is normally 20%"

Best Wishes

Neil.

If I have a version 6 from a previous upgrade (I have upgraded everytime) do I need to download the full version or do I qualify for the discount version?

Victor

On 08/12/2020 5:27 pm, Simon Orde wrote:
As some of you may already have discovered, we've had to temporarily put the Family Historian store into maintenance mode. We had a very high surge in demand, and this seems to have caused problems with our email server, which we are currently investigating. Our apologies to anyone who has been inconvenienced. Please bear with us as we sort this out. Thank you.

Victor Markham

Neil

Thanks for clarifying this. Since I have been a user since FH came out I do have an account. Now I need to find the account number

Best wishes

Victor

------ Original Message ------ From: "Victor Markham via groups.io" <victor@...> To: family-historian@groups.io Sent: Tuesday, 8 Dec, 2020 At 21:26 Subject: Re: [family-historian] We're having email problems on the Family Historian website!

I would like to clarify one thing.

If I have a version 6 from a previous upgrade (I have upgraded everytime) do I need to download the full version or do I qualify for the discount version?

Victor

On 08/12/2020 5:27 pm, Simon Orde wrote:
As some of you may already have discovered, we've had to temporarily put the Family Historian store into maintenance mode. We had a very high surge in demand, and this seems to have caused problems with our email server, which we are currently investigating. Our apologies to anyone who has been inconvenienced. Please bear with us as we sort this out. Thank you.

Roy White

Will it be possible to buy FH on a disc (in a kit) rather than by a download – or both?

Roy White.

If I have a version 6 from a previous upgrade (I have upgraded everytime) do I need to download the full version or do I qualify for the discount version?

Victor

On 08/12/2020 5:27 pm, Simon Orde wrote:

As some of you may already have discovered, we've had to temporarily put the Family Historian store into maintenance mode.  We had a very high surge in demand, and this seems to have caused problems with our email server, which we are currently investigating.  Our apologies to anyone who has been inconvenienced.  Please bear with us as we sort this out.  Thank you.

Mike Tate

Victor,

I have also been a user since FH V2, and upgraded every version as a download from Calico Pie, but that does not need an account.

Accounts a relatively new, and are not numerical, so like me, you will probably need to create one.

Mike Tate

Robert Jordan

Unfortunately Neil your post is not wholly accurate. Having finally managed to open an account I put my licence name and number in and received a message that the number could not be found. I then contacted FH who admitted that not all numbers were in system. This despite my still having the original email from 2016 containing the number.  I was told to wait 48 hours to try again! Something seems to be seriously wrong

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, 05:13 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

Victor,

I have also been a user since FH V2, and upgraded every version as a download from Calico Pie, but that does not need an account.

Accounts a relatively new, and are not numerical, so like me, you will probably need to create one.

Mike Tate

Neil Grantham

Yes they got inundated with new requests I think.
They are excellent at resolving issues like this. I lost my code a few years ago.
Mine worked on the site last night and applied the discount but I’ve kept it on my basket for now due to the email issues they have. I figured I might not get my new code.
I’ll wait till the warning disappears from the site.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Unfortunately Neil your post is not wholly accurate. Having finally managed to open an account I put my licence name and number in and received a message that the number could not be found. I then contacted FH who admitted that not all numbers were in system. This despite my still having the original email from 2016 containing the number.  I was told to wait 48 hours to try again! Something seems to be seriously wrong

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, 05:13 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

Victor,

I have also been a user since FH V2, and upgraded every version as a download from Calico Pie, but that does not need an account.

Accounts a relatively new, and are not numerical, so like me, you will probably need to create one.

Mike Tate

Nicola Byrnes

Neil

The code is in the email they sent you with the download.

I’m hoping they bring out a new book of instructions too!

Nicola

On 9 Dec 2020, at 08:00, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, but they had a warning about their email system on the Store page, hence my decision to wait.

That seems to have gone now, so it must be resolved.

Best Wishes

Neil.

Unfortunately Neil your post is not wholly accurate. Having finally managed to open an account I put my licence name and number in and received a message that the number could not be found. I then contacted FH who admitted that not all numbers were in system. This despite my still having the original email from 2016 containing the number. I was told to wait 48 hours to try again! Something seems to be seriously wrong

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, 05:13 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

Victor,

I have also been a user since FH V2, and upgraded every version as a download from Calico Pie, but that does not need an account.

Accounts a relatively new, and are not numerical, so like me, you will probably need to create one.

Mike Tate

Fruitbat

Roy,

S&N Genealogy are selling a "physical" package, by which I presume they mean a CD version, but you might want to check before ordering.

Family Historian V7 + Free Regional Research Guidebook & Online Subscription worth over £48 - S&N Genealogy Supplies

Ian Thirlwell

I managed to get to the update & pay for it, so that’s working ok. Only trouble now is the download is getting stopped as a virus threat!

Ian Thirlwell

Unfortunately Neil your post is not wholly accurate. Having finally managed to open an account I put my licence name and number in and received a message that the number could not be found. I then contacted FH who admitted that not all numbers were in system. This despite my still having the original email from 2016 containing the number. I was told to wait 48 hours to try again! Something seems to be seriously wrong

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, 05:13 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

Victor,

I have also been a user since FH V2, and upgraded every version as a download from Calico Pie, but that does not need an account.

Accounts a relatively new, and are not numerical, so like me, you will probably need to create one.

The snag with a CD is that many PC these days don’t come with a CD/DVD optical drive.

We regularly get users asking how to install FH on a laptop with no CD drive.

Maybe the S&N physical package is a USB memory stick which would be much better.

It is quite common for low-usage new programs to be considered a virus threat.

There is often a way round that but the option is sometimes hidden in the small print.

Alternatively, temporarily disable the anti-virus package or add an exception for FH.exe.

That and related advice is available in the FHUG Knowledge Base.

Regards, Mike Tate

ttjones@...

I, too, had that problem and got round it and installed V7 successfully.

calicata

Hi ttjones,

How did you get it resolved?

I, too, had that problem and got round it and installed V7 successfully.

Neil Grantham

If it's Windows 10 and Edge browser, you can click the dots to allow the download.

Best Wishes

Neil.

It is quite common for low-usage new programs to be considered a virus threat.

There is often a way round that but the option is sometimes hidden in the small print.

Alternatively, temporarily disable the anti-virus package or add an exception for FH.exe.

That and related advice is available in the FHUG Knowledge Base.

Regards, Mike Tate

Victor Markham

Thanks Mike

I have just upgraded. I couldn't recall my password and CP emailed a temp password and I have reset my log in details.

Now just have to read the Help imformation which I have printed out to read (7 pages). Will use the file links provided once I have read the print out.

Prhaps I should print out the email with the activation code and file it

I must have started on V3 as I have found the CD. Should I keep it as a souvenir or throw it way that is what I have to decide

Victor

On 08/12/2020 10:44 pm, Mike Tate wrote:

Victor,

I have also been a user since FH V2, and upgraded every version as a download from Calico Pie, but that does not need an account.

Accounts a relatively new, and are not numerical, so like me, you will probably need to create one.

My understanding is that unlike earlier versions you don’t need to keep Emails, Activation keys, Downloaded installation files, etc. All you need is your CP Account username & password.

They say it should do away with lost Emails & Downloads that have bedevilled the past.

Hang the CD as a decoration on your Christmas Tree!

Yuletide Greetings, Mike Tate

Ian Thirlwell

I got round the problem, eventually, by switching to Edge browser, which gave me the option of downloading regardless. From messages it seems the objection was to the site, family-historian-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com, from which the download was coming, rather than the FH 7 installer itself.
Regards,
Ian