Travel fact for an individual or families

Colin Hildreth

Kia ora (hi) everyone.
I wondered what fact should be used when travel is neither classed as imigration or emigration?
I have many instances where my relations who were based in India returned to England for several months (similar to furlough) before heading back. The passenger list records that show such details, are relatively as important as say censuses. They have a wealth of information including Name, relationships, dob, prior and intended residences etc, information supplied at the time and generally an accurate assessment of their lives. Relating such information to other known personal details can often be meaningful for suggesting other areas of research.
I have had a play at creating a travel (families) fact. It seems to give me a : travel (with abc WIFE). fact, and a : marr. (abc): Travel. source label.
Ideally I would like to create a fact that covers all members of the family, as a lot of the details are common. Possibly summarising the facts in a note that can be entered to all family members.
Any suggestions or work throughs that people have would be very much appreciated.
Colin Hildreth

Adrian Bruce

I created custom individual events of Arrival and Departure - used depending on which sort of passenger list I had. Not a family event because that really applies only to the couple.

Remember that all the rich detail that you can get, needs to go into the birth, residence, occupation, etc, events of the people in question - who might not be travelling but are referred to.

The common data is generally the actual mechanics of the voyage (ship, shipping line, class, etc). Those can either be copied to each person, or you can set up the event once for the head of the family and enter the rest of the voyagers as witnesses to that event. Depends how confident you are with setting up witness facts.

But all the residence stuff I record in individual Residence facts - querying witness facts is too complex, in my personal experience, for witness facts to be used for basic facts like Residence where I write queries on that type of fact.

Colin Hildreth

Thank you Adrian,
Your response is very helpful and gives me room for thought. I will set up an individual custom event as you suggest using the same source for all family concerned. If I use my test tree I can experiment and see how data etc appears in reports.
Colin

On 14/11/2020, at 8:24 PM, Adrian Bruce <abruce6155@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Tate

Colin,

There already are several travel facts defined in the Extended Set of Facts.

Use Tools > Fact Types… and select Extended Set in the Fact Set filter at the top, then tick Show Hidden.

There is Arrival, Departure, Origin & Destination

Click Edit… and in the Fact Definition untick Hidden.

Otherwise, as Adrian says, treat the Passenger Lists in a similar way as a Census, where a variety of Birth, Residence, Occupation, and other facts for several people are derived from one document as well as the Census fact.

What ties them together is they all have a Citation for the same Source document, which in this case is the Passenger List details, or in the Census case is the Census Household entry.

It is also possible to make use of the Fact Witness feature to group people together perhaps with the Role of Passenger.

Mike Tate