Topics

question about starting tree with different birth father

kathy@...

Hello - I'm new to Family Historian. I discovered, via DNA testing, that my dad was not my birth father.  I have discovered who my birth father is.  Since he was not married to my mother, he is not a "spouse."  If there a way to create a tree that connects two people who are not married to each other so I can have my genetic tree correct?

On another note -- is there a way to have both my dad and birth father on the same tree connected to my mother?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Kathy

Trevor Rix

Hello Kathy. Welcome to Family Historian. FH is very flexible and customisable so how you record things is sometimes down to personal preference.

What you are doing, creating a genetic tree, is correct. Think of and record the people involved as individuals. Whether they were married or not is not relevant as far as your genetic tree is concerned. The label "spouse" does not mean they were married. So, record yourself. Record your genetic father as your father. Record your mother ar your genetic mother. Give your mother a second partner, in this case her husband (your dad). So you will show on diagrams as daughter of your genetic parents. Your "dad" will show as your mother's second partner.

To clarify the situation further, in the Property Box for your genetic father, select "Unmarried Couple" or "Never Married" in the Status box.

Victor Markham

Welcome to FH

I have something similar to you and this is how I have done it.

When my grandmother married Charles Markham My grandfather became George Henry Markham. I had a DNA test to see if Charles was his father he wasn't

In your case you can list your mother and birth father as an unmarried couple with his name in the blank part of Mary Briggs in diagram with your name under them. Then separately your mother with her husband below them

Victor

On 17/09/2020 5:37 pm, kathy@... wrote:

Hello - I'm new to Family Historian. I discovered, via DNA testing, that my dad was not my birth father.  I have discovered who my birth father is.  Since he was not married to my mother, he is not a "spouse."  If there a way to create a tree that connects two people who are not married to each other so I can have my genetic tree correct?

On another note -- is there a way to have both my dad and birth father on the same tree connected to my mother?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Kathy

kathy@...

Thank you so much, Trevor!  That explains beautifully!  It helps to know how to start properly so I don't have to re-do. I'm looking forward to digging in and getting my tree going.  I just didn't know how to start, so I'm grateful for this expertise.

kathy@...

Thank you so much, Victor, for this visual example.  I will help me greatly!  Thank you for taking the time to show me what you did!