Topics

Standard Diagrams - All Descendants

Jenny Cochrane

As the current version of FH doesn't support word processing (I believe this is changing for V7) if I have large or complex notes I create them as Word documents and then attach them as media to the relevant records. It means you have to open the document to view it, but I've found it the easiest way for long, generic notes.

Jenny

On Friday, 18 September 2020, 14:24:52 BST, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig@...> wrote:

Yes, you can use a Note Record (otherwise known as a Shared Note).   In the Records window you will see a tab for Notes (i.e. Note Records).  A new note record can be created either by using Add > Shared Note  or from the Notes tab of a Property Box , using Add Note > Link to Note Record, where you then have a choice of selecting an existing note record or creating a new one.

Once you have created the Note Record you can link it to anyone for whom it is relevant, from the Notes tab of their Property Box.

Lorna

On 18/09/2020 12:49, Bill Metcalf wrote:

Lorna

I have a further question:

I am in the process of consolidating all my research into FH: I have transcribed all the individual records and notes (such as I have) on individuals but I also have more generic notes e.g. a historical view of the Metcalf(e) clan and a high-level summary of my branch of that clan – in essence, introductions to the detail.

Is there any way of adding such generic notes?

Thanks.

Lorna Craig

Yes, you can use a Note Record (otherwise known as a Shared Note).   In the Records window you will see a tab for Notes (i.e. Note Records).  A new note record can be created either by using Add > Shared Note  or from the Notes tab of a Property Box , using Add Note > Link to Note Record, where you then have a choice of selecting an existing note record or creating a new one.

Once you have created the Note Record you can link it to anyone for whom it is relevant, from the Notes tab of their Property Box.

Lorna

On 18/09/2020 12:49, Bill Metcalf wrote:

Lorna

I am in the process of consolidating all my research into FH: I have transcribed all the individual records and notes (such as I have) on individuals but I also have more generic notes e.g. a historical view of the Metcalf(e) clan and a high-level summary of my branch of that clan – in essence, introductions to the detail.

Thanks.

Bill Metcalf

Lorna

Thanks.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: 17 September 2020 13:26
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Standard Diagrams - All Descendants

Bill,

You're welcome.  I hope you have managed to achieve the layout you wanted.  Some of these procedures sound long-winded when you have to describe them in words, but once you have learned how to do them they don't take long in practice. 

Lorna

On 17/09/2020 12:10, Bill Metcalf wrote:

Thanks enormously for your guidance.

Family Historian is so rich in functionality that it is easy to overlook the various possibilities and it is so helpful to have access to experts such as yourself that know their way around.

It is messages such as those from Julia Vokes and Fruitbat(?) that save my embarrassment: I’m glad to have helped others indirectly by asking these questions.

Lorna Craig

Bill,

You're welcome.  I hope you have managed to achieve the layout you wanted.  Some of these procedures sound long-winded when you have to describe them in words, but once you have learned how to do them they don't take long in practice. 

Lorna

On 17/09/2020 12:10, Bill Metcalf wrote:

Family Historian is so rich in functionality that it is easy to overlook the various possibilities and it is so helpful to have access to experts such as yourself that know their way around.

It is messages such as those from Julia Vokes and Fruitbat(?) that save my embarrassment: I’m glad to have helped others indirectly by asking these questions.

Bill Metcalf

Lorna

Kind regards.

Bill

P.S. I’m also grappling with Microsoft Teams (I have to deliver an international, online Master Class in the not too distant future) and just wish that Microsoft had a similarly friendly Help Desk!

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: 16 September 2020 22:20

Correction:  The date of Johanna's marriage to John won't be in John's box.  (My own settings are different, I should have double checked).  But you can insert the date of that marriage into Johanna's (or John's) box manually.   Right-click in the background of the diagram and select Insert into Diagram > Text Box.   Right-click the Text box and select Format.   You will ned to set the box line to 'None' and the box fill to the same pale yellow colour as Johanna's box.    On the Text tab enter Marr: (1) Aug 1958, (2) 1971.   Resize the text box so that it is small enough to fit over the existing 'Marr' line in Johanna's box. You will have to experiment with the size of the font to get it to match the size of other text in Johanna's box.  Now drag the text box over Johanna's box to cover the existing 'Marr' line.

On 16/09/2020 21:19, Lorna Craig via groups.io wrote:

Bill,

There are a few things you can do:

1. Rather than move Luke George to the right (which might cause other parts of the main diagram to shift in odd ways at the same time), move the children of Johanna and John to the left.  You can do this by opening the Movement Control Box and selecting Box and Bar move.  You will then be able to 'grab' the bar above the children (Peter and Kirsten Hanson) and drag it to the left.   This should give enough room to overlay the two Johanna boxes.

2.  Once you have overlaid the two Johanna boxes, right-click on any of the boxes in the inserted tree and choose Order > Send to Back.  this will put the purple Johanna box behind the yellow one so that the visible box is the same colour as the others in her row.

3. In Diagram Options, main tab, Sundry Colours, choose Marked Boxes (top of the list) and select the same pale yellow colour.  Click OK.   Now in the diagram right-click on John Hanson's box and select Mark.  His box should now be the same colour as Johanna's.  (I don't think you can also make their children's boxes the same colour as Luke's box unfortunately.)

The resulting diagram will have the date of Johanna's marriage to John in John's box, and the date of her marriage to George in her own box.  I don't think there is an easy way of getting both her marriages to show in one box in this scenario.

Once you have arranged things, use Diagram >Save Diagram as > Family Historian Chart, giving it an appropriate name.  The saved chart can then be viewed again later from View > Saved Charts.    You need to be aware that if you make any changes or additions to data which affect the main tree this may cause parts of the tree to move and the inserted tree may no longer be accurately aligned and may ned to be moved again.

I hope this helps.

Lorna

On 16/09/2020 17:40, Bill Metcalf wrote:

Lorna

I attach the source of my frustration:

Joanna Leuty married twice – to George Metcalf (192) and John Hanson (498).

I have done as you suggested and inserted John H + Johanna Louise as a couple plus their Descendants.

I now want to join them properly (as married) and also to adjust the layout so that it looks sensible e.g. with m1 & m2 (with dates) for Joanna and also to move Luke George a bit to the right so that I can overlay the two Joanna boxes.

I feel sure that this can be done (and thank you for getting me this far) but I have fallen at the last hurdle!

So, if you can help, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Bill

P.S. It would also be nice to respect the generational colour scheme but I can live without that!

Sent: 16 September 2020 17:00

Which people are duplicated?  Apart from the 'wife', who will have a box in each tree, and for whom you will need to position one box over the other, it should be possible to hide any other duplicated boxes.   Or are these duplicates elsewhere in the diagram, and nothing to do with the inserted tree?

What order do you need the spouses to appear in?

If you can't sort it out, send a message here again and I'll contact you direct.

Lorna

On 16/09/2020 16:17, Bill Metcalf wrote:

The merging, moving and hiding are OK but I still get duplicates and need to reverse the horizontal order of spouses but without compromising the whole diagram.

Lorna Craig

Correction:  The date of Johanna's marriage to John won't be in John's box.  (My own settings are different, I should have double checked).  But you can insert the date of that marriage into Johanna's (or John's) box manually.   Right-click in the background of the diagram and select Insert into Diagram > Text Box.   Right-click the Text box and select Format.   You will ned to set the box line to 'None' and the box fill to the same pale yellow colour as Johanna's box.    On the Text tab enter Marr: (1) Aug 1958, (2) 1971.   Resize the text box so that it is small enough to fit over the existing 'Marr' line in Johanna's box. You will have to experiment with the size of the font to get it to match the size of other text in Johanna's box.  Now drag the text box over Johanna's box to cover the existing 'Marr' line.

On 16/09/2020 21:19, Lorna Craig via groups.io wrote:

Bill,

1. Rather than move Luke George to the right (which might cause other parts of the main diagram to shift in odd ways at the same time), move the children of Johanna and John to the left.  You can do this by opening the Movement Control Box and selecting Box and Bar move.  You will then be able to 'grab' the bar above the children (Peter and Kirsten Hanson) and drag it to the left.   This should give enough room to overlay the two Johanna boxes.

2.  Once you have overlaid the two Johanna boxes, right-click on any of the boxes in the inserted tree and choose Order > Send to Back.  this will put the purple Johanna box behind the yellow one so that the visible box is the same colour as the others in her row.

3. In Diagram Options, main tab, Sundry Colours, choose Marked Boxes (top of the list) and select the same pale yellow colour.  Click OK.   Now in the diagram right-click on John Hanson's box and select Mark.  His box should now be the same colour as Johanna's.  (I don't think you can also make their children's boxes the same colour as Luke's box unfortunately.)

The resulting diagram will have the date of Johanna's marriage to John in John's box, and the date of her marriage to George in her own box.  I don't think there is an easy way of getting both her marriages to show in one box in this scenario.

Once you have arranged things, use Diagram >Save Diagram as > Family Historian Chart, giving it an appropriate name.  The saved chart can then be viewed again later from View > Saved Charts.    You need to be aware that if you make any changes or additions to data which affect the main tree this may cause parts of the tree to move and the inserted tree may no longer be accurately aligned and may ned to be moved again.

I hope this helps.

Lorna

Lorna

I have done as you suggested and inserted John H + Johanna Louise as a couple plus their Descendants.

I now want to join them properly (as married) and also to adjust the layout so that it looks sensible e.g. with m1 & m2 (with dates) for Joanna and also to move Luke George a bit to the right so that I can overlay the two Joanna boxes.

I feel sure that this can be done (and thank you for getting me this far) but I have fallen at the last hurdle!

Many thanks.

Bill

P.S. It would also be nice to respect the generational colour scheme but I can live without that!

Which people are duplicated?  Apart from the 'wife', who will have a box in each tree, and for whom you will need to position one box over the other, it should be possible to hide any other duplicated boxes.   Or are these duplicates elsewhere in the diagram, and nothing to do with the inserted tree?

If you can't sort it out, send a message here again and I'll contact you direct.

Lorna

The merging, moving and hiding are OK but I still get duplicates and need to reverse the horizontal order of spouses but without compromising the whole diagram.

Lorna Craig

Bill,

I hope this helps.

Lorna

Lorna

Many thanks.

Bill

Lorna

Lorna Craig

Bill, thanks, I have some ideas and will get back to you in an hour or so.

Lorna

Lorna

Many thanks.

Bill

Lorna

Bill Metcalf

Lorna

Many thanks.

Bill

Lorna

Lorna Craig

Lorna

Bill Metcalf

Lorna or Jane

Am I permitted to send you a file for assistance? I really am struggling to create a Descendants diagram that joins two Trees in a satisfactory manner.

Bill

Sent: 16 September 2020 15:56

Sorry, you are not being thick at all.  I should have said right-click in the background of the diagram to get a short menu of options. One of the options is 'Insert into Diagram'.  I had forgotten that it's not within the Diagram Options (which are themselves another option in the same menu). 

Lorna

On 16/09/2020 15:39, Bill Metcalf wrote:

Lorna

I’m probably being totally thick but can you please tell me where to find <Insert into Diagram> under <Diagram Options>.

Thanks.

Bill

Sent: 16 September 2020 11:49

Bill, you refer to “the second marriage of a wife who is a true descendant”.  But if she is a true (direct) descendant of the diagram root any descendant of her second marriage will also be direct descendants.  Did you mean to say she is NOT a true descendant, in other words she was the WIFE of a true descendant (her first husband)?

If that is the case a Descendants diagram whose root is one of her first husband’s ancestors won’t include her second family.  However it is possible to insert an extra diagram into the first.  Use Diagram Options > Insert into Diagram and insert a Descendants Tree whose root is this wife. Then in this extra diagram hide her descendants from her first marriage (if any) by clicking the expansion button above them, and hide her first husband (who already appears in the main diagram) by right clicking and selecting ‘Hide’.   By using the Movement Control Box (second icon from the right in the diagram toolbar) you should be able to move various elements of the main diagram so that you can position the inserted tree next to the ‘wife’, ideally overlapping her boxes from the two diagrams.  Unless you are used to manipulating diagrams this might seem difficult, but it can be done.

Another approach would be to create an All Relatives diagram with the ‘wife’ and her first husband as joint diagram roots.  (Select them BOTH in the records list or in the existing diagram, then click the All Relatives icon.)  This diagram will include all descendants from both marriages of the wife.  However it will also include any other ancestral branches for either of them, in addition to the particular branch descended from the ancestor who was the root of the original Descendants diagram.  You could then hide these unwanted ancestral branches by clicking on the relevant expansion buttons.

Lorna

Sent: 15 September 2020 18:03
Subject: [family-historian] Standard Diagrams - All Descendants

Is there any way to force (or cheat) the 'All Descendants' chart to include the second marriage of a wife who is a true descendant? My interest is in the descendants of the second marriage who are not true descendants but, nevertheless of family interest.

Jane Taubman

> I’m probably being totally thick but can you please tell me where to find <Insert into Diagram> under <Diagram Options>.

From the menu select Diagram>Insert Into Diagram

Lorna Craig

Sorry, you are not being thick at all.  I should have said right-click in the background of the diagram to get a short menu of options. One of the options is 'Insert into Diagram'.  I had forgotten that it's not within the Diagram Options (which are themselves another option in the same menu). 

Lorna

On 16/09/2020 15:39, Bill Metcalf wrote:

Lorna

I’m probably being totally thick but can you please tell me where to find <Insert into Diagram> under <Diagram Options>.

Thanks.

Bill

Bill, you refer to “the second marriage of a wife who is a true descendant”.  But if she is a true (direct) descendant of the diagram root any descendant of her second marriage will also be direct descendants.  Did you mean to say she is NOT a true descendant, in other words she was the WIFE of a true descendant (her first husband)?

If that is the case a Descendants diagram whose root is one of her first husband’s ancestors won’t include her second family.  However it is possible to insert an extra diagram into the first.  Use Diagram Options > Insert into Diagram and insert a Descendants Tree whose root is this wife. Then in this extra diagram hide her descendants from her first marriage (if any) by clicking the expansion button above them, and hide her first husband (who already appears in the main diagram) by right clicking and selecting ‘Hide’.   By using the Movement Control Box (second icon from the right in the diagram toolbar) you should be able to move various elements of the main diagram so that you can position the inserted tree next to the ‘wife’, ideally overlapping her boxes from the two diagrams.  Unless you are used to manipulating diagrams this might seem difficult, but it can be done.

Another approach would be to create an All Relatives diagram with the ‘wife’ and her first husband as joint diagram roots.  (Select them BOTH in the records list or in the existing diagram, then click the All Relatives icon.)  This diagram will include all descendants from both marriages of the wife.  However it will also include any other ancestral branches for either of them, in addition to the particular branch descended from the ancestor who was the root of the original Descendants diagram.  You could then hide these unwanted ancestral branches by clicking on the relevant expansion buttons.

Lorna

Is there any way to force (or cheat) the 'All Descendants' chart to include the second marriage of a wife who is a true descendant? My interest is in the descendants of the second marriage who are not true descendants but, nevertheless of family interest.

Bill Metcalf

Lorna

Thanks.

Bill

Lorna

Neil Grantham

Great isn't it.
The large print option I picked up a few weeks ago from this list, and was just what I needed for a cousin who wanted to see all the descendants of our mutual grandfather

Best Wishes,

Neil

On Wednesday, 16 September 2020, 14:54:11 BST, Julia Vokes <julia.vokes7@...> wrote:

This thread illustrates why FH is such a brilliant program.  Today I’ve learnt two things, so far, how to print very large trees and how to use a family record as the root

Thanks everyone 😀
Julia

On 16 Sep 2020, at 14:49, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig@...> wrote:

There is guidance on printing large diagrams as a single page PDF in the FHUG Knowledge Base here:  https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram#printing-diagramwindow-largecharts

As you will see from the second paragraph, the maximum PDF page size supported by this method is 128" x 128".  So your 6 ft (72 ") chart should be fine. You can do it all using the inbuilt PDF printer in FH.

Lorna

On 16/09/2020 14:34, Bill Metcalf wrote:

Thanks everybody for the information.

In return, I’m wondering if the following might be of help:

I have a very ‘wide’ tree with 13 generations and nearly 500 entries which is difficult to print. To deal with this, the system I have devised is to –

Install a new PDF printer (Bullzip – Free . . totally easy!)

https://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

Print to a PDF file via Bullzip (Size A0)

This results in two pages Landscape (even at A0)

Then use e.g. Adobe Illustrator to seamlessly join the two pages into one single page

Take the result to a print shop that has a printer with continuous (roll) paper feed

Print the result ~ 6 ft long (or scaled to size)

I hope this helps although I suspect that there are a variety of alternate approaches.

Bill Metcalf

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate via groups.io
Sent: 16 September 2020 13:59

To clarify, strictly speaking, you are not actually choosing two Individual records but their joint Family record as the Diagram Root, so there still is only one root record.

Julia Vokes

This thread illustrates why FH is such a brilliant program.  Today I’ve learnt two things, so far, how to print very large trees and how to use a family record as the root

Thanks everyone 😀
Julia

On 16 Sep 2020, at 14:49, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig@...> wrote:

There is guidance on printing large diagrams as a single page PDF in the FHUG Knowledge Base here:  https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram#printing-diagramwindow-largecharts

As you will see from the second paragraph, the maximum PDF page size supported by this method is 128" x 128".  So your 6 ft (72 ") chart should be fine. You can do it all using the inbuilt PDF printer in FH.

Lorna

I have a very ‘wide’ tree with 13 generations and nearly 500 entries which is difficult to print. To deal with this, the system I have devised is to –

Then use e.g. Adobe Illustrator to seamlessly join the two pages into one single page

Take the result to a print shop that has a printer with continuous (roll) paper feed

I hope this helps although I suspect that there are a variety of alternate approaches.

Bill Metcalf

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate via groups.io

To clarify, strictly speaking, you are not actually choosing two Individual records but their joint Family record as the Diagram Root, so there still is only one root record.

Lorna Craig

Lorna

Bill Metcalf

Bill Metcalf

Bill Metcalf

Mike Tate

Bill Metcalf

No problem.

This is the assignment for this afternoon.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 16 September 2020 13:04

They do have to be spouses.  In other words you are selecting a (single) Family record as the diagram root.  You can't do it with any two random people.

On 16/09/2020 12:46, Fruitbat wrote:
I didn't know you can set two diagram roots.  Thanks for the tip.