Topics

List of a specific Christian name

geoff@...

I want to find out where a specific Christian name crops-up in a project.  I can see them fairly easily within a specific surname group, but females can marry and pass-on specific family names with their new surname.  FH display a Name in one lump, but I note when I'm creating a new one, it seems to that forward slashes are displayed momentarily.  Are the names held in a split-up format somewhere?
My objective is to find out when a long-used family name first came into use.
Regards to all.
GeoffJ

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

A simple way is to go to the Records Window for Individuals and type the Christian name into the field “First” at the top of the window.

An alternative would be a query but try the simple way first.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of geoff@...
Sent: 13 September 2020 13:13
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] List of a specific Christian name

I want to find out where a specific Christian name crops-up in a project.  I can see them fairly easily within a specific surname group, but females can marry and pass-on specific family names with their new surname.  FH display a Name in one lump, but I note when I'm creating a new one, it seems to that forward slashes are displayed momentarily.  Are the names held in a split-up format somewhere?
My objective is to find out when a long-used family name first came into use.
Regards to all.
GeoffJ

Brian Horridge

Geoff

Why not add an extra column in the main Records window for just the forename(s).  FH uses the words "Given Names" and there is a "Given" (just the first forename) and Given_All" (all forenames).  You can then simply sort the column by clicking on the column header.

You can also pick out the middle names by using "Middle" (often where family names are re-used in later generations).

Brian

On 13/09/2020 13:12, geoff@johnsonlb.plus.com wrote:
I want to find out where a specific Christian name crops-up in a project.  I can see them fairly easily within a specific surname group, but females can marry and pass-on specific family names with their new surname.  FH display a Name in one lump, but I note when I'm creating a new one, it seems to that forward slashes are displayed momentarily.  Are the names held in a split-up format somewhere?
My objective is to find out when a long-used family name first came into use.
Regards to all.
GeoffJ

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

geoff@...

Thank you colevaleygirl, that's all I need.  Why didn't I think of that?  I put myself in the `stupid boy' category for even asking!

I can now see that the name Frederick doesn't appear in my tree before 1875.  That's going back to 1770, .  Since then it's become more widely used.
I'm just interested to work out where/why it suddenly got introduced.  Seems I'd need to widen my cousin research in the period before 1875.

Geoff Frederick J

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

We’ve all stared at a screen and not seen the obvious...  stupid NOT to ask, if you can’t see how to do something!

My first Frederick was in 1819... but I only have 3 in my tree.

Thank you colevaleygirl, that's all I need.  Why didn't I think of that?  I put myself in the `stupid boy' category for even asking!

I can now see that the name Frederick doesn't appear in my tree before 1875.  That's going back to 1770, .  Since then it's become more widely used.
I'm just interested to work out where/why it suddenly got introduced.  Seems I'd need to widen my cousin research in the period before 1875.

Geoff Frederick J

Jane Taubman

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 at 11:02, <geoff@...> wrote:

I can now see that the name Frederick doesn't appear in my tree before 1875.  That's going back to 1770, .  Since then it's become more widely used.
_._,_._,_

The ever useful https://www.behindthename.com has this to say on Frederick

The Normans brought the name to England in the 11th century but it quickly died out. It was reintroduced by the German House of Hanover when they inherited the British throne in the 18th century.