Media items in FH

Mike Tate

David,

Yes, back in early March we were in the process of migrating your Project from Mac Parallels to a Windows laptop.

From your screenshots on Mac Parallels it was definitely a fully functional Project and not a free-standing GEDCOM.

But after giving you some advice it is not clear whether you successfully migrated or not because you did not post any replies.

What is concerning me is that you now say the free-standing GEDCOM problem afflicts both systems.

Can you give any explanation of how that may have come about?

I suspect that to fix the problem with simple instructions is going to need screenshots from both of us.

Although this Email service does allow screenshots, they take a long time to get through because they must be vetted by the administrators.

So I strongly advise you use the FHUG Forums for free and post your problem there, as it allows multiple rapid screenshots that we can exchange very quickly.

Visit https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/ and sign in with what I suspect is your username Gynesd last used in 2017.

David Gynes

Mike,

Thank you, it now makes some sense to this barely computer literate oldie.

That answer is “Yes please” I would very much appreciate your help in getting things back as they should be, in language as simple as you can make it please!😉

David

David Gynes

On 2 Aug 2020, at 18:55, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

David,
Your screenshots are very poor quality, but I can just make out that it says – Family Historian Gedcom – at the top of the main FH window.
So despite what you may think, this is NOT a Project, but a free-standing GEDCOM file.
Such free-standing GEDCOM files do not have the concept of Project Media folders.
That is why you are not getting the Add Media dialogue with the Copy File(s) to: option.

So, can you explain why the Project folder structure has been disrupted?
Do you need advice about how to repair the folder structure?
This has been a common theme recently with several users suffering similar cases of Projects becoming free-standing GEDCOM.
It is often due to the <project-name>.fh_proj file going missing from the …\Family Historian Projects\<project-name> folder.

David Gynes

Thanks Ros,
I think it was probably the move when therot set in.

I will take Mike up on his offer to help me restore it to its proper format.

Best wishes,

David
David Gynes

On 2 Aug 2020, at 17:09, Ros <ros@...> wrote:

Your images are very small so it's not possible to be sure,  but I think the top of the Window says "Gedcom"?   If so you are running Family Historian in Gedcom mode.  So you need to create a Project from your Gedcom file.   If you used to have a Project the most common reason for the problem is not copying the whole Project folder (or using FH to restore a Full backup when moving to a new machine or environment.

Mike Tate

David,

Your screenshots are very poor quality, but I can just make out that it says – Family Historian Gedcom – at the top of the main FH window.

So despite what you may think, this is NOT a Project, but a free-standing GEDCOM file.

Such free-standing GEDCOM files do not have the concept of Project Media folders.

That is why you are not getting the Add Media dialogue with the Copy File(s) to: option.

So, can you explain why the Project folder structure has been disrupted?

Do you need advice about how to repair the folder structure?

This has been a common theme recently with several users suffering similar cases of Projects becoming free-standing GEDCOM.

It is often due to the <project-name>.fh_proj file going missing from the …\Family Historian Projects\<project-name> folder.

Ros

Your images are very small so it's not possible to be sure,  but I think the top of the Window says "Gedcom"?   If so you are running Family Historian in Gedcom mode.  So you need to create a Project from your Gedcom file.   If you used to have a Project the most common reason for the problem is not copying the whole Project folder (or using FH to restore a Full backup when moving to a new machine or environment.

David Gynes

Mike,

You said: 'You should have got a small add media dialogue with a Copy File(s) to: drop-list set of options.'

As I said in my original email:  'When I started to upload them to the relevant person’s media records I did not get the usual message from FH asking if I wanted to copy it into the FH itself.'

I think my “usual message`’ is your  ‘small add media dialogue’, which I am used to seeing and acting on.

I have tried adding media to different records on both devices where I run FH.  I have tried to load screen shots and scans.  None has brought up the dialogue.

I have attached 2 screenshots of the Media list for two attempts I made this morning, one from a scan and the other a screenshot.  You will see that nearly all the other media associated with these two persons is stored in media\……. (except one rogue one that I uploaded from a backup copy in Dropbox which I need to delete).

I have tried it on both computers in case I messed up the settings when I moved FH from a Mac desktop running a virtual Windows machine to a Windows laptop (a process you kindly helped me achieve).   The other machine has been running FH happily for years and yet shows the same results.

I would welcome any further advice. For example, is there a way of changing the instruction which you suggested has reverted to the default, without actually getting that dialogue box to show?

Thanks again for your help.

David

David Gynes
specbear@...

On 30 Jul 2020, at 17:27, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

You should have got a small add media dialogue with a Copy File(s) to: drop-list set of options.

It may have defaulted to <Don’t copy – link only> so click on that and choose <Default Location within Project Folder> or one of the other options.

If you don’t want to delete those new entries and start again then try the following.

Use File Explorer to copy the media images from the USB stick to your Project’s internal Media folder, but do NOT change the filename.

Then in FH use Tools > External File Links and click the Auto Repair Links button.

Mike Tate

David Gynes

Thank you Mike and Brian

I shall have a go tomorrow.

Watch this space!

David
David Gynes

[...]

Brian Horridge

David
Could it be that when you "drag" a file from a memory stick it usually copies the file to the new locatiion (leaving the original file still there) but if you drag a file from one location to another on the same disc it will actually move it.  It could be that because the file is still on the memory stick FH has not changed it's location reference.
Brian

Sent via BT Email App