Rearrange Media Folder

johnfirr@...

I have been happily loading various media directly into my project media folder over a period of time.
However it has now come to the point where I would like to tidy that folder up a bit by adding a simple series of subfolders for documents, people, places.
I see that media represents quite a big chunk of the forum traffic so it seems easy to go astray.

I understand that I can access the project media folder through file manager and create the new sub folders and move the media files accordingly. But what is the correct procedure to follow to avoid ending up with broken links etc?

regards
John

Victor Markham

What I have done is set up folders for surnames on my tree with subfolders for each member of the family. In addition I have folders for certificates with sub folders for births  marriages etc. Also a folder for census images with subfolders for each census years. From these folders I copy to FH under the relevant names

On 17 Jul 2020, at 16:30, "johnfirr via groups.io" <yahoo.co.uk@groups.io target=_blank>johnfirr=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I have been happily loading various media directly into my project media folder over a period of time.
However it has now come to the point where I would like to tidy that folder up a bit by adding a simple series of subfolders for documents, people, places.
I see that media represents quite a big chunk of the forum traffic so it seems easy to go astray.

I understand that I can access the project media folder through file manager and create the new sub folders and move the media files accordingly. But what is the correct procedure to follow to avoid ending up with broken links etc?

regards
John

Lorna Craig

Hi John,

Yes, you can create new sub folders and move the media files accordingly.   To mend the broken links you can then use Tools > External File Links and click the Auto Repair Links button. 

The FH Help file explains as follows:

"This button will prompt Family Historian to attempt to find missing media files and fix any 'broken' links. This can be a slow process, but a progress dialog is displayed so you can stop the search at any time if you wish. The search will begin with the current project folder, and ripple outwards from the current project, eventually including other fixed drives on your PC if necessary (and if there are any). The search will stop automatically when all missing files are found. As well as finding missing files, this function will also check if links to media files in the media subfolder of the project folder are setup as they should be, and will automatically fix the links if necessary."

I suggest you start by creating just one sub folder and moving a small number of files into it to test the procedure before you do the full reconstruction, to make sure it works as you want it to.

Lorna

On 17/07/2020 16:29, johnfirr via groups.io wrote:

johnfirr@...

Hey Lorna,
thats great information. Just what I was looking for. I,ll give that a try.
regards
John

Patrick Nicholson

Ignore my last message, package now received.

Patrick Nicholson

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: Friday 17 July 2020 17:38
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Rearrange Media Folder

Hi John,

Yes, you can create new sub folders and move the media files accordingly.   To mend the broken links you can then use Tools > External File Links and click the Auto Repair Links button. 

The FH Help file explains as follows:

"This button will prompt Family Historian to attempt to find missing media files and fix any 'broken' links. This can be a slow process, but a progress dialog is displayed so you can stop the search at any time if you wish. The search will begin with the current project folder, and ripple outwards from the current project, eventually including other fixed drives on your PC if necessary (and if there are any). The search will stop automatically when all missing files are found. As well as finding missing files, this function will also check if links to media files in the media subfolder of the project folder are setup as they should be, and will automatically fix the links if necessary."

I suggest you start by creating just one sub folder and moving a small number of files into it to test the procedure before you do the full reconstruction, to make sure it works as you want it to.

Lorna

On 17/07/2020 16:29, johnfirr via groups.io wrote:

Mike Tate

Have you sent this message to the correct recipients?

family-historian@groups.io do not send packages.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Nicholson
Sent: 17 July 2020 18:02
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Rearrange Media Folder

Ignore my last message, package now received.

Patrick Nicholson

johnfirr@...

Thanks for the assistance. Worked perfectly. I,m glad i asked though as its apparent that i could have created one heck of a tangle.

John Murdoch

>  [Lorna Craig] Yes, you can create new sub folders and move the media files accordingly.   To mend the broken links you can then use Tools > External File Links and click the Auto Repair Links button

Question: I'm guessing that Auto Repair Links must be a feature available in FH 6 ?
I'm still on FH 5, and I can only find a Remap and an Edit feature when I go to the Tools / Work with External File Links dialogue.

I'm still at novice stage with FH, and am still trying to work out 'best practice' for storage & naming of Sources and Media, so I'm reorganizing my storage and editing External Links multiple times.

The only hard & fast rule I've determined so far is to make sure I keep everything within the Project folder hierarchy.

My thanks to the group for all the helpful hints,
John Murdoch

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 3:17 AM johnfirr via groups.io <johnfirr=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for the assistance. Worked perfectly. I,m glad i asked though as its apparent that i could have created one heck of a tangle.

Mike Tate

To answer your question, YES, Auto Repair Links is only in FH v6.

But that begs another question.

If only at the novice stage, so just started using FH, how is it you have the 6-year old version 5?

If your renaming & reorganising of Media is following any logical bulk rules then the Search and Replace Plugin may offer solutions.

It can use pattern matching rules to bulk alter the File Link in Media records and automatically move/rename the linked files to match.

The pattern rules can be tricky to understand and a screenshot would help you, but they are awkward to add here.

The FHUG Forums offer a better dialogue for such screenshots.

John Murdoch

>  .. at the novice stage, so just started using FH, how is it you have the 6-year old version 5?

Mike I started on FH in the 2000's, and purchased the full upgrade to v5 in 2012.

I stumbled around in it intuitively for a while (big mistake :-) e.g. without knowing the difference between a source and a citation, and put it away for the last several years.

I'm just now getting back into it and this time I want to 'do it right' by identifying and adopting best practices before I flood it with data.
I saw that v6 was available, but with v7 just around the corner I decided to hold off the upgrade until v7 is available.

Thanks for your help,
John Murdoch

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 7:24 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

To answer your question, YES, Auto Repair Links is only in FH v6.

But that begs another question.

If only at the novice stage, so just started using FH, how is it you have the 6-year old version 5?

If your renaming & reorganising of Media is following any logical bulk rules then the Search and Replace Plugin may offer solutions.

It can use pattern matching rules to bulk alter the File Link in Media records and automatically move/rename the linked files to match.

The pattern rules can be tricky to understand and a screenshot would help you, but they are awkward to add here.

The FHUG Forums offer a better dialogue for such screenshots.

Mike Tate

OK understood, have you discovered the free FHUG Forums and Knowledge Base that has much advice about such things as Source Citations and much more.

Visit https://www.fhug.org.uk/

John Murdoch

I have - thanks Mike.
John

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 5:57 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

OK understood, have you discovered the free FHUG Forums and Knowledge Base that has much advice about such things as Source Citations and much more.

Visit https://www.fhug.org.uk/

Mike Tate

In that case, I advise you post any questions in the FHUG Forums where it is much easier to refer to the Knowledge Base and add screenshots, such as examples of how to customise the Search and Replace plugin to rearrange Media.