deleting files

james o'kelly

How do I delete files with a red X in the project data folder?

Mike Tate

James, just to be completely clear, let me explain.

The red X entries in Tools > External File Links are NOT files.

The red X means the Media file cannot be found by FH at the disk path specified.

What you are actually looking at are Media records inside the GEDCOM database.

I presume the ones you want to delete are trying to link to http:// FindMyPast entries?

To delete those Media records select an entry with a red X and click the Go To… button on the right.

That will list the Media Record in the Media Window and display a rectangle with a diagonal cross on the right.

Select that record and press the Delete key or use the Edit > Delete command and OK the warning.

Repeat for each red X entry.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 14 July 2020 20:28
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] deleting files

james o'kelly

Hi Mike thank you for your advice on removing all the things with a red X, this I have done, now I still need your help of converting C:\user\pictures into Media files, thank you for your patience in helping, but it is not all wasted, as I am taking notes to use later, by the way (another question) can I add word documents to my projects? thanks again

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 10:26 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

James, just to be completely clear, let me explain.

The red X entries in Tools > External File Links are NOT files.

The red X means the Media file cannot be found by FH at the disk path specified.

What you are actually looking at are Media records inside the GEDCOM database.

I presume the ones you want to delete are trying to link to http:// FindMyPast entries?

To delete those Media records select an entry with a red X and click the Go To… button on the right.

That will list the Media Record in the Media Window and display a rectangle with a diagonal cross on the right.

Select that record and press the Delete key or use the Edit > Delete command and OK the warning.

Repeat for each red X entry.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 14 July 2020 20:28
Subject: [family-historian] deleting files

Mike Tate

Yes, you can add any type of file (DOCX, PDF, etc) as Media but only image files (JPG, PNG, etc) will display in FH Media windows, Diagrams and Reports.

The triangular Open in Editor/Player button must be used to open such non-image Media files.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Adding Photographs and Other Multimedia and scroll down to Adding Other Media for details:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:v4:adding_multimedia#adding_other_media

Now to move the C:\user\pictures into Media files.

I do not recognise C:\user\pictures as a standard Windows folder.

Are you sure you have posted it accurately? It is important to get that folder path exactly right otherwise my instructions will not work.

I would have expected something more like C:\Users\James\Pictures\... where James is your sign-in username.

Are all the images located just in that folder or are they in various subfolders?

Please post a screenshot of the Tools > External File Links window showing all those C:\Users\... images in full.

You may have to make the window larger so that all filenames are shown fully.

Sent: 15 July 2020 17:47
Subject: Re: [family-historian] deleting files

Hi Mike thank you for your advice on removing all the things with a red X, this I have done, now I still need your help of converting C:\user\pictures into Media files, thank you for your patience in helping, but it is not all wasted, as I am taking notes to use later, by the way (another question) can I add word documents to my projects? thanks again

james o'kelly

sorry Mike, re the C:/ media files,...... "example" it is displayed as C:\Users\shay\Pictures\uncle Jimmy Coote.jpg,
shay being my usher name, I cannot do a screenshot as I am on windows 7,   

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 9:57 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Yes, you can add any type of file (DOCX, PDF, etc) as Media but only image files (JPG, PNG, etc) will display in FH Media windows, Diagrams and Reports.

The triangular Open in Editor/Player button must be used to open such non-image Media files.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Adding Photographs and Other Multimedia and scroll down to Adding Other Media for details:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:v4:adding_multimedia#adding_other_media

Are you sure you have posted it accurately? It is important to get that folder path exactly right otherwise my instructions will not work.

I would have expected something more like C:\Users\James\Pictures\... where James is your sign-in username.

Are all the images located just in that folder or are they in various subfolders?

Please post a screenshot of the Tools > External File Links window showing all those C:\Users\... images in full.

Neil Grantham

James

The snipping tool is available in Windows 7.
See this Microsoft page on how to find it and use it, although the link says Windows 10, it also gives details on how to find it in Windows 7 and 8

Best Wishes,

Neil

On Friday, 17 July 2020, 07:59:15 BST, james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:

sorry Mike, re the C:/ media files,...... "example" it is displayed as C:\Users\shay\Pictures\uncle Jimmy Coote.jpg,

Neil Grantham

...as well as typing the name to find it, it is actually found from the menus by
Start>All Programs>Accessories>Snipping Tool

Best Wishes,

Neil

On Friday, 17 July 2020, 07:59:15 BST, james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:

Mike Tate

James, please, please, can you respond with more complete answers, otherwise this is going take much longer than it should.

You did not answer my question about whether all the images are located in that C:\Users\shay\Pictures\ folder, or are they in various sub-folders?

You provided a screenshot last week by taking a photo image of the screen.

Or you can follow Neil’s advice and use the Windows Snipping Tool available in Windows 7.

Sent: 17 July 2020 07:59

james o'kelly

I have followed Neil's advice re snipping tool (did not know about that) here are a couple examples of what I am trying to do, but sometimes they disappear, I have four different family trees on the go at the moment, Coote, O'Kelly, Quinn, and Fisher, I have found out quite a lot on each, re these newspaper notices and would like to save them for good, I am sorry that I have not been clearer with my replies, hope this is what you need from me at this stage, 

regards James

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 9:58 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

James, please, please, can you respond with more complete answers, otherwise this is going take much longer than it should.

You did not answer my question about whether all the images are located in that C:\Users\shay\Pictures\ folder, or are they in various sub-folders?

You provided a screenshot last week by taking a photo image of the screen.

Or you can follow Neil’s advice and use the Windows Snipping Tool available in Windows 7.

Sent: 17 July 2020 07:59

Mike Tate

No, no, no, James, that is NOT what I asked for.

Some examples of just a few Media filenames do not provide the full details I need of all the Media filenames that you want to move.

Please, please, concentrate on what I am requesting below otherwise I will not be able to help you.

You have revealed not only that you have four Projects, but that the Media files are in many different folders:

C:\Users\shay\Pictures\ and C:\Users\shay\Downloads\ and C:\Users\shay\Music\ and maybe others too!

I need to know them all.

These are my instructions that you must follow closely or I will give up.

I need four screenshots of the Tools > External File Links window for all four Projects as explained below.

Open each Project in turn and run the Tools > External File Links command.

If necessary, drag the edges of the window so that all the C: - Users – shay - folders and filenames are shown in full.

I do NOT need to see all the Project Data Folder entries just all the C: - Users - shay - entries.

Take a Snipping Tool screenshot of each of those four windows, one per Project.

Similar to this:

A screenshot of a cell phone

Description automatically generated

james o'kelly

Hi Mike, once again I must apologise for misunderstanding your instructions, I think I have now finally grasped what you require of me, I will attach the screen shots as you requested, I know the C:User is not shown on them (screenshots), but in each profile when I click media and then the right hand blue arrow, in the file box, most of them come up as C:User, thank you again for you patience and your help, it must be very frustrating for you, 
PS, the reason I have four projects (although related) is because I was not aware at the time how easy it is to separate them,  

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 12:52 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

No, no, no, James, that is NOT what I asked for.

Some examples of just a few Media filenames do not provide the full details I need of all the Media filenames that you want to move.

Please, please, concentrate on what I am requesting below otherwise I will not be able to help you.

You have revealed not only that you have four Projects, but that the Media files are in many different folders:

C:\Users\shay\Pictures\ and C:\Users\shay\Downloads\ and C:\Users\shay\Music\ and maybe others too!

I need to know them all.

These are my instructions that you must follow closely or I will give up.

I need four screenshots of the Tools > External File Links window for all four Projects as explained below.

Open each Project in turn and run the Tools > External File Links command.

If necessary, drag the edges of the window so that all the C: - Users – shay - folders and filenames are shown in full.

I do NOT need to see all the Project Data Folder entries just all the C: - Users - shay - entries.

Take a Snipping Tool screenshot of each of those four windows, one per Project.

Similar to this:

A screenshot of a cell phone

Mike Tate

James, thank you for the screenshots. I am so glad I persevered to get them because the solution I was originally intending to give you does NOT work.

Firstly, those screenshots show that you do NOT have four PROJECTS, but just one PROJECT and three freestanding GEDCOM files.

That explains why those have NO Media files in the Project Data Folder because there is no PROJECT for those three.

They cannot be moved from C:\Users\shay\... to Media, because there is no Project Media folder, and that is because there is no PROJECT.

Even that one PROJECT is in an odd location and needs an in-depth review of its Media files.

It should be in the standard C:\Users\shay\Documents\Family Historian Projects\... location and not sitting on your Desktop in Shays Tree.

BTW: I know that C:\Users\shay\Documents\Family Historian Projects\... exists because it is listed in your Capture 3.PNG screenshot.

So there is a lot of corrective work to be done, but very different from what I expected ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I presume you would like all your databases to become Projects in the default Family Historian standard location?

To prove my point, run Family Historian, use File > Project Window and I suspect only ‘Kelly and O’Kelly Family’ will be listed.

The best way forward is to send me a screenshot of that Project Window listing your Family Historian Projects and the Location: below that list.

Sent: 18 July 2020 21:05

Hi Mike, once again I must apologise for misunderstanding your instructions, I think I have now finally grasped what you require of me, I will attach the screen shots as you requested, I know the C:User is not shown on them (screenshots), but in each profile when I click media and then the right hand blue arrow, in the file box, most of them come up as C:User, thank you again for you patience and your help, it must be very frustrating for you, 

PS, the reason I have four projects (although related) is because I was not aware at the time how easy it is to separate them,  

james o'kelly

Right Mike, it seems as though I have been doing this all wrong, I hope with your help it can be sorted out, yes I would like all the databases to become one project, thanks for your help again, 

regards James,  

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 11:57 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

James, thank you for the screenshots. I am so glad I persevered to get them because the solution I was originally intending to give you does NOT work.

Firstly, those screenshots show that you do NOT have four PROJECTS, but just one PROJECT and three freestanding GEDCOM files.

That explains why those have NO Media files in the Project Data Folder because there is no PROJECT for those three.

They cannot be moved from C:\Users\shay\... to Media, because there is no Project Media folder, and that is because there is no PROJECT.

Even that one PROJECT is in an odd location and needs an in-depth review of its Media files.

It should be in the standard C:\Users\shay\Documents\Family Historian Projects\... location and not sitting on your Desktop in Shays Tree.

BTW: I know that C:\Users\shay\Documents\Family Historian Projects\... exists because it is listed in your Capture 3.PNG screenshot.

So there is a lot of corrective work to be done, but very different from what I expected ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I presume you would like all your databases to become Projects in the default Family Historian standard location?

To prove my point, run Family Historian, use File > Project Window and I suspect only ‘Kelly and O’Kelly Family’ will be listed.

The best way forward is to send me a screenshot of that Project Window listing your Family Historian Projects and the Location: below that list.

Sent: 18 July 2020 21:05

Mike Tate

Thank you for the Project Window screenshot.

That reveals two things.

1. You have other genuine Projects not mentioned before that maybe need a Media review
  2. You have changed the default Project Location to C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree

Is there any particular reason why you changed the Project Location?

Would you prefer all your Projects to be located in the default C:\Users\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder?

OR do you really want them kept where they are on the Desktop?

Do you want ALL those four genuine Projects and the three freestanding GEDCOM to become just one composite Project?

Please answer ALL FOUR of the above questions.

james o'kelly

Hi Mike although I have had this family-historian for over a year, I must admit I have not learned to use it properly, so hopefully with your help I can get on the right track, in answer to your questions,
1. I did not realize I had changed the project location,
2.I would like the project to be in the FH project folder
3. I don't need them to be on my desktop
4.I would like all the projects and the three gedcoms to become one project,
I am sure once we have sorted this out I will find it much easier to use. 
thank you for your help,

James 

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 8:55 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Thank you for the Project Window screenshot.

That reveals two things.

1. You have other genuine Projects not mentioned before that maybe need a Media review
  2. You have changed the default Project Location to C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree

Is there any particular reason why you changed the Project Location?

Would you prefer all your Projects to be located in the default C:\Users\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder?

OR do you really want them kept where they are on the Desktop?

Do you want ALL those four genuine Projects and the three freestanding GEDCOM to become just one composite Project?

Please answer ALL FOUR of the above questions.

Mike Tate

Well James, somebody changed the Project Location as FH cannot do that by itself.

Anyway, before doing anything, I need to check what already exists in the default Project Location, just so there are no surprises!

Use File > Project Window, click on C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree, and choose Reset Location to Installation Default.

That will change the Location: to My Documents\Family Historian Projects and list whatever projects exist there.

Please send me a screenshot of that default Project Window.

Do not do anything else, except close FH. Please do not edit any of your projects.

Sent: 20 July 2020 21:33

Hi Mike although I have had this family-historian for over a year, I must admit I have not learned to use it properly, so hopefully with your help I can get on the right track, in answer to your questions,

2. I would like the project to be in the FH project folder

4. I would like all the projects and the three gedcoms to become one project,

thank you for your help,

James

james o'kelly

Okay Mike I have done as instructed. and here is the screen shot, by the way when I said I didn't realize I changed the project location, I meant I don't know how I managed that, but hopefully we can sort this out now  

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Well James, somebody changed the Project Location as FH cannot do that by itself.

Anyway, before doing anything, I need to check what already exists in the default Project Location, just so there are no surprises!

Use File > Project Window, click on C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree, and choose Reset Location to Installation Default.

That will change the Location: to My Documents\Family Historian Projects and list whatever projects exist there.

Please send me a screenshot of that default Project Window.

Do not do anything else, except close FH. Please do not edit any of your projects.

Sent: 20 July 2020 21:33

2. I would like the project to be in the FH project folder

4. I would like all the projects and the three gedcoms to become one project,

thank you for your help,

James

Mike Tate

Thank you James, that confirms there are no Projects in the default Location to interfere with the following process.

First, you must change the Location back to your Desktop based Projects (which you must have done some time ago).

Click on My Documents\Family Historian Projects, select Choose Location… and browse to C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree to reveal your Projects.

Now perform steps 1 - 5 shown in the screenshot below to copy all the projects to the default Location. (I have not shown all your projects in the screenshot)

1 Select the name of the project to be copied

2 Click the More Tasks… button

3 Select the Copy Project… option

4 Set Location for Copy: C:\Users\shay\Documents\Family Historian Projects

5 Click the Copy button (only continue if the folder exists)

When successfully copied, repeat those five steps for the next project until every project has been copied.

A screenshot of a social media post

james o'kelly

well Mike, it looks like all the projects are in one place, but I didn't manage to copy over the FH sample project,
 where do we go from here?, can I now delete the backup files and start to save them again as I go on,  

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:04 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Thank you James, that confirms there are no Projects in the default Location to interfere with the following process.

First, you must change the Location back to your Desktop based Projects (which you must have done some time ago).

Click on My Documents\Family Historian Projects, select Choose Location… and browse to C:\Users\shay\Desktop\Shays Tree to reveal your Projects.

Now perform steps 1 - 5 shown in the screenshot below to copy all the projects to the default Location. (I have not shown all your projects in the screenshot)

1 Select the name of the project to be copied

2 Click the More Tasks… button

3 Select the Copy Project… option

4 Set Location for Copy: C:\Users\shay\Documents\Family Historian Projects

5 Click the Copy button (only continue if the folder exists)

When successfully copied, repeat those five steps for the next project until every project has been copied.

A screenshot of a social media post

Mike Tate

What do you mean by “it looks like all the projects are in one place”?

They should still be in two places, i.e. …\Desktop\Shays Tree\ and …\Documents\Family Historian Projects\

I guess you have changed the Project Location: to My Documents\Family Historian Projects even though I did not ask you to do that.

Please explain the problem with copying over the FH sample project.

What backup files are you talking about?

Please get into the habit of describing things in more detail.

You know what you are talking about, but I cannot see what you can see, unless you provide a screenshot.

Sent: 22 July 2020 21:43

well Mike, it looks like all the projects are in one place, but I didn't manage to copy over the FH sample project,

where do we go from here?, can I now delete the backup files and start to save them again as I go on,