From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of james o'kelly
Sent: 08 July 2020 20:45
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] lost photos/media

I have asked this question before, I have just revisited one of my family trees, to find the photos have gone missing although they are listed in the media box, why? is this

Lorna Craig

James, You originally asked this on 26 June and received a reply from Mike Tate that day.  You answered his message briefly on 27 June and then received several more replies on 27 and 28 June.  Please refer back to those messages.   (If you can't find them easily among your emails you can log onto the group's web page and find the topic there.)

On 08/07/2020 20:44, james o'kelly wrote:
I have asked this question before, I have just revisited one of my family trees, to find the photos have gone missing although they are listed in the media box, why? is this
_

james o'kelly

this is the process I go through when adding a photo to my tree
1 go to media
2 insert from file
3 find photo
4 copy file to default location within project folder
5 add
6 click OK
is this the proper way of adding and saving? as I have done this several times and they later disappear, but they are still listed in the media box

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:30 PM Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

James, You originally asked this on 26 June and received a reply from Mike Tate that day.  You answered his message briefly on 27 June and then received several more replies on 27 and 28 June.  Please refer back to those messages.   (If you can't find them easily among your emails you can log onto the group's web page and find the topic there.)

On 08/07/2020 20:44, james o'kelly wrote:
I have asked this question before, I have just revisited one of my family trees, to find the photos have gone missing although they are listed in the media box, why? is this
_

Mike Tate

Yes, your process is the recommended way of adding and saving.

So we need to investigate further to discover why they seem to be disappearing.

Remember there are two components to each Media item:

  1. Media record within the GEDCOM file
  2. Media file saved within the Media folder

The Media record is what you see listed and has a link to the Media file to display the photo.

If for any reason the Media file is unavailable then the Media record cannot display it.

Please tell us where your Projects are saved.

Do they exist in your \Documents\Family Historian Projects\ folder?

Are they saved in cloud storage such as OneDrive, Google Drive, or Dropbox?

Please describe step by step (as you did with adding media) how you try to display those photos and exactly what is displayed.

e.g. Does it say File not found or display a box with a diagonal cross?

Try opening those missing photos in the Media tab of the Property Box where you added them.

Try using the Media Window to show all your Media records and their linked Media files.

Try using the Tools > External File Links command and look for X marks on the file icons.

james o'kelly

here is an example of photos that disappear, Geoff Milnthorpe shown in media box but the photo has gone

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 3:52 PM james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:
[...]

James, are you getting my replies that ask several questions?

Could you please, please, answer as many as possible.

In your screenshot, there is a large blue arrow on the right.

Please click that and tell me what it says in the File: box.

Does the photo get shown in the pane below?

That message in your screenshot Unable to load object has come up before in the FHUG Forums.

The solution there that sometimes worked is as follows.

In FH open Tools > Preferences > General tab, click Advanced... button at bottom, and set Thumbnail Images: to Load When Needed.

In the following description replace <project> with your Project Name.

Use Windows File Explorer to navigate to the following folder.

…\Documents\Family Historian Projects\<project>\<project>.fh_data\Cache\

There delete the ThumbCache.dat file

Does that fix the problem?

james o'kelly

thank you Mike, my projects are saved in My Historian folder on desktop, they are not save on cloud, onedrive etc, on some of the profiles they are shown in a box with a cross, some of these photos I have reloaded several times, they are there for awhile then disappear again, I have not deleted them from there original source, as you suggested I have looked in Tools, external files links, this shows some of my pictures and a lot of blanks with crosses in, I can not see what I might be doing wrong, I appreciate your help with this,
Thanks James

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 5:38 PM james o'kelly via groups.io <shaymoandann=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

as suggested I have done Tools, preferences, advanced, thumbnails, load when needed, this does not solve the problem, I don't understand the rest of your instructions, ...sorry

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 7:42 PM james o'kelly via groups.io <shaymoandann=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Sorry I forgot to say when I click the large blue arrow, message is, file not found

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:07 PM james o'kelly <shaymoandann@...> wrote:
[...]

James, please focus on what I am asking.

After clicking the big blue arrow, what does it say in the box labelled File: near the top?

Now it is very important to carry out these instructions otherwise the problem will not get fixed.

Double-click your My Historian folder on the desktop to open File Explorer.

Now open the folder that matches your Project name.

Now open the folder that matches your Project name but with the suffix .fh_data

Now open the folder called Cache

Delete the ThumbCache.dat file.

Does that cure the problem?

james o'kelly

have I got this right?
open file explorer
shows my project
top left click file, opens projects window
click this shows all my projects and back ups
but non with the suffix,fh_data
what am I doing wrong?, sorry for being such a pain,

On 09/07/2020 20:29, Mike Tate wrote:

After clicking the big blue arrow, what does it say in the box labelled File: near the top?

In case of any slight confusion, I think Mike is referring to the box labelled Linked File.

james o'kelly

sorry I see it now, it reads http/tree .findmypast.com asset handler
does this help?

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 9:11 PM Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

On 09/07/2020 20:29, Mike Tate wrote:

After clicking the big blue arrow, what does it say in the box labelled File: near the top?

In case of any slight confusion, I think Mike is referring to the box labelled Linked File.

Lorna Craig

Yes that does shed a bit of light!  It looks as if you have tried to copy a picture direct from Findmypast without downloading it first.   You need to get the media file onto your computer first, before FH can copy or move that file into the Media folder of your project.  That Linked File box should be displaying the location of the media file on your computer, not referring to a tree on Findmypast!

On 09/07/2020 21:20, james o'kelly wrote:
sorry I see it now, it reads http/tree .findmypast.com asset handler
does this help?

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 9:11 PM Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

On 09/07/2020 20:29, Mike Tate wrote:

After clicking the big blue arrow, what does it say in the box labelled File: near the top?

In case of any slight confusion, I think Mike is referring to the box labelled Linked File.

Mike Tate

James, please focus on what I am asking you to do.
There are two completely unrelated tasks I want you to complete.

Task 1
In Family Historian, please click the big blue arrow shown in your earlier screenshot.
In the Multimedia Object Property Box, what does it say in the box labelled File: near the top?

Task 2
These instructions do NOT involve running the Family Historian program.
Now it is very important to carry out these instructions otherwise the problem will not get fixed.
Open File Explorer by double-clicking This PC on your desktop. i.e. the application that displays all the folders and files on your disk drive.
Navigate into the Documents folder and then the Family Historian Projects folder.
Now open the folder that matches your Project name.
Now open the folder that matches your Project name but with the suffix .fh_data
Now open the folder called Cache
Delete the ThumbCache.dat file.

Does that cure the problem?

Mike Tate

To avoid any confusion I am referring to the box labelled File:

I am not aware of any boxes labelled Linked File

After clicking the big blue arrow, what does it say in the box labelled File: near the top?

In case of any slight confusion, I think Mike is referring to the box labelled
Linked File.

Mike Tate

Yes, that is crucial information.

It is trying to access an image on the findmypast website, which is not possible from Family Historian.

But with that setting, it could never have shown a photo within Family Historian, but you said it showed a photo that subsequently disappeared, which confused us.

Date:  / Custom ID:
Format:
Linked File:
Note:

So in my Linked File: it says Media\<name of picture>.jpg etc.
I don't see
File:

I can only see File if I click the "All" Tab.

Neil

Date:               Keywords:

Format:           Custom Id:

File:

Note:

Whereas yours puts Custom Id on a different line and omits Keywords as well saying Linked File.

Very odd.