Latin name Fordo

Derek Kain

Can anybody tell me the English equivalent of Latin 'Fordo'.
Checked Google translate and it gives me Fordo.
Derek

waltonnz

I always thought it was an English word pronounced for do meaning to ruin or destroy. It's in the Chambers Dictionary.
Patricia

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 22:18, Derek Kain <genealogist15@...> wrote:
Can anybody tell me the English equivalent of Latin 'Fordo'.
Checked Google translate and it gives me Fordo.
Derek

Mike Tate

Are you certain that is the Latin word?

Please provide the whole sentence, or perhaps a screenshot of the original document.

Can anybody tell me the English equivalent of Latin 'Fordo'.

Checked Google translate and it gives me Fordo.

Derek

Lorna Craig

It depends on the context, but it might mean "with young" (i.e. with children).

See the table on this page: https://www.latin-is-simple.com/en/vocabulary/adjective/4337/

Lorna

On 06/07/2020 11:18, Derek Kain wrote:
Can anybody tell me the English equivalent of Latin 'Fordo'.
Checked Google translate and it gives me Fordo.
Derek

Derek Kain

Hello readers,
My apologies. I should have stated that it is a name.
Findmypast Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms
Kain
Patricius Fordo
1886
1886
Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms
Edinburgh, Lauriston, Midlothian, Scotland
Derek

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 13:08, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

It depends on the context, but it might mean "with young" (i.e. with children).

See the table on this page: https://www.latin-is-simple.com/en/vocabulary/adjective/4337/

Lorna

On 06/07/2020 11:18, Derek Kain wrote:
Can anybody tell me the English equivalent of Latin 'Fordo'.
Checked Google translate and it gives me Fordo.
Derek

Patrick Maloney

As far as I can tell, 'Fordo' is not a Latin word. RC entries wre often latinized, so 'Patricius' is simply 'Patrick'. I've not previously come across a surname being latinized, so normally I would suggest that 'Fordo' was the actual surname. It does look like an attempt to latinize, though, so I would hesitantly suggest that your chap's name was Patrick Ford.

On 6 Jul 2020 13:35, Derek Kain <genealogist15@...> wrote:
[...]

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Might it be something simple like he was named Ford after a godparent or maternal grandparent’s surname.

My apologies. I should have stated that it is a name.

Findmypast Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms

Kain

Patricius Fordo

1886

1886

Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms

Edinburgh, Lauriston, Midlothian, Scotland

Derek

Derek Kain

Thank you all,
I think Ford makes sense if any is there.
So I'll go with that.
Thank you
Derek

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 13:51, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Might it be something simple like he was named Ford after a godparent or maternal grandparent’s surname.

My apologies. I should have stated that it is a name.

Findmypast Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms

Kain

Patricius Fordo

1886

1886

Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms

Edinburgh, Lauriston, Midlothian, Scotland

Derek

Nicola Byrnes

The original image on FMP shows mother’s maiden name as FORDE and PATRICIUS FORDE as child’s name. Isabella FORDE is godmother too.

Nikki

On 6 Jul 2020, at 14:12, Derek Kain <genealogist15@...> wrote:

Thank you all,
I think Ford makes sense if any is there.
So I'll go with that.
Thank you
Derek

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 13:51, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Might it be something simple like he was named Ford after a godparent or maternal grandparent’s surname.

My apologies. I should have stated that it is a name.

Findmypast Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms

Kain

Patricius Fordo

1886

1886

Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms

Edinburgh, Lauriston, Midlothian, Scotland

Derek

Derek Kain

Hello Nicola,
Thank you for that. I totally overlooked it.
Concentrating too much on input rather than looking.
Thank you
Derek