Citation Media

Keith Taylor

I have about 8000 images in my Media folder. Many of them seem to have come from a merge 4 or 5 years ago of my FTM tree into FH. They're mostly images of baptism, marriage, burial records etc.

I'm currently looking at a burial event in an individual's All tab. If I open the Source sub-tree there is a multimedia object there as a child of the source item but it doesn't exist as a child item if I go and look at the source record itself. In the Show Sources panel, clicking on images reveals the image to be 'Citation Media'. There is another option, Source Record Media, which DOES appear as a child of the source.

So is it possible to access Citation Media programmatically? I can't see a way to do so.

Jane Taubman

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 12:53, Keith Taylor <keithatserendib@...> wrote:
So is it possible to access Citation Media programmatically? I can't see a way to do so.

Were you looking for the Data Reference, for example?
%INDI.BIRT[1].SOUR[1].OBJE[1]>%
Gives you a citation media object and

%INDI.BIRT[1].SOUR[1]>OBJE[1]>%

Gives you a source level media object.  Note the > which moves you to the record.

If you have not read the Data Reference help it's worth checking out

--

Keith Taylor

Thanks Jane, I'll give those data references a try.

At the moment I have a plugin which is processing this individual. It  has a bit of debug code to loop over child items. When it hits the source record it loops over that record's child items. The OBJE only appears as a child item if it's a source level media object. It's not there at all if it's a citation media object.

--
Keith

Mike Tate

I wonder if those are Local Media Objects within the Individual record rather than separately linked Media records.

There is the ‘Move Local Media to Media Records’ Plugin that will convert them so they are more manageable.

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/pluginstore/plugin-entry?id=1946

It does no harm to run it because if there are no Local Media Objects nothing gets changed.

Thanks Jane, I'll give those data references a try.

At the moment I have a plugin which is processing this individual. It  has a bit of debug code to loop over child items. When it hits the source record it loops over that record's child items. The OBJE only appears as a child item if it's a source level media object. It's not there at all if it's a citation media object.

--
Keith

Keith Taylor

Thanks again, Jane,

That has cracked it.
In my little debug loop, when I get to the event I'm interested in (ptrEvent) I loop over its child items. What I was doing was looking for the SOUR tag and instead of looping over its child items I was getting the source record from the link, and of course the OBJE wasn't in that.

Using pObj = fhGetItemPtr(ptrEvent,'~.SOUR[1].OBJE[1]>') showed me it really really was there after all.

--
Keith

Keith Taylor

That looked like it might be useful, Mike, but in fact it only moved two LMOs

--
Keith