Online Repository Assistant

Ron Chapman

Does anyone have experience in using "Online Repository Assistant"? (https://www.ora-extension.com/en/#/) ORA claims to be useful to Family Historian users and I can see it might be useful in some ways but at $24 per year it seems expensive.

Many Thanks, Ron

Mike James GW8PKV

Ron
I've been experimenting with ORA for a short time.
I have found the Text Templates useful to gather text from Ancestry and FindMyPast pages and format it for directly pasting into Family Historian.
I have just started trying the Auto Auto Text Template feature to capture data directly into Ancestral Sources.
It seems to work very well for me and I think I will find it very helpful, particularly for entering sources in a consistent manner.
I believe the subscription model is to allow support for future changes to the websites covered.
No connection, just a customer.

Regards
Mike James

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 21:06, Ron Chapman <ron@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience in using "Online Repository Assistant"? (https://www.ora-extension.com/en/#/) ORA claims to be useful to Family Historian users and I can see it might be useful in some ways but at $24 per year it seems expensive.

Many Thanks, Ron

John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

ORA works by understanding what information each web site presents and where to find it. This is a constantly moving target and to be honest paying £2 per month (less than the cost a pint of beer in the UK) for the privilege of John Cardinal (the program author) keeping on top of this ever-mutating monster is a jolly good deal in my view.

ORA has the potential to save hours of manual data entry. It may require a bit of effort and learning on the user's part to get the best from it, but the end result is worth it.

I have no connection with John Cardinal, other than being a satisfied user of ORA and his other genealogy companion programs.

David Potter

Hi Mike and John, What Browsers are currently supported? Does it work right now with Chrome?

Thanks

John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Suggest you have a look here:-

https://www.ora-extension.com/en/index.htm#/

David Potter

Thank you John. I did look at that link. It stated it will work with Chrome, but then later it states ORA has been submitted to Google Web Store and is awaiting approval. I know this can mean many things. Do you know categorically if it does work with Chrome?

Thanks

Mike James GW8PKV

Yes it does David.
It works with Firefox, Chrome and Edge.
I have used it with Firefox and Chrome.

Regards
Mike

John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

I do not use Chrome so I cannot give you a definitive answer - however, any updates to the browser plug-in requires submission to the Google Web Store (and others as appropriate) for validation, which can take a day or two. To be honest, if John Cardinal says it works with Chrome, I would be very much inclined to accept that statement - from my dealings with him he is a pretty straight guy.

Looking at the Google Groups list for ORA, I do not see posts complaining that ORA does not work with Chrome, but I will post a query on there asking John C. to give me a definitive statement - this may take a short while for an answer.

David Potter

Thank you Mike. Much appreciated.

David Potter

Thank you John. Much appreciated.

Derek Kain

Hello all,
I've just spent a lot of time trying to acquire for Google Chrome Online Repository Assistant (ORA) but cannot find it on Google Web Store or anywhere else other than an American site, https://www.familyhistoryhosting.com/oc/ is this the only source?
Once I've paid the subscription how do I get the program?
I know my brain is not in gea.
Derek

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 20:05, David Potter via groups.io <David.potter5=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you John. Much appreciated.

John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

David, although I have not yet had a response from John C., 2 other users have confirmed comaptibilty with Chrome - one with FH.

John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Yes, that is the source - if you look here, you will find purchase and installation instructions:- https://www.ora-extension.com/en/contents.htm

Hope this helps.

David Potter

Thank you very much John. It looks to be a very promising application. I'll check it out further.

@BobH1

Family History Hosting is owned and run by the author of ORA, John Cardinal, and yes his site is the place to go to purchase it. https://familyhistoryhosting.com/oc/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=58  He will send you instructions on down loading and installing the programs once you have purchased

As well as videos on the ORA help pages https://www.ora-extension.com can I recommend a video of a talk John gave to the “Arlington RUG” Genealogy Society: http://www.rootsusers.org/downloads/20200613-JohnCardinal-ORAOnlineRespositoryAssistant.mp4

I have been using ORA for a couple of weeks now and already see a marked improvement in my accuracy and consistency.

BobH

I've just spent a lot of time trying to acquire for Google Chrome Online Repository Assistant (ORA) but cannot find it on Google Web Store or anywhere else other than an American site, https://www.familyhistoryhosting.com/oc/ is this the only source?

Once I've paid the subscription how do I get the program?

I know my brain is not in gea.

Derek

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 20:05, David Potter via groups.io <David.potter5=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thank you John. Much appreciated.

Chris

Here's my review! :-) https://youtu.be/YTWTY4S9kuE
Cheers
Chris

Hilary

Thanks for the review Chris this looks like something I need to get as I have lots I want to add.

Hilary

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 22:27, Chris <coolgenealogy@...> wrote:
Here's my review! :-) https://youtu.be/YTWTY4S9kuE
Cheers
Chris

Ron Chapman

Thanks Chris, It looks good. How easy is to generate the Autotype templates? Ron

On 28/06/2020 22:27, Chris wrote:
Here's my review! :-) https://youtu.be/YTWTY4S9kuE
Cheers
Chris

John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

I have received this from John Cardinal, the author of ORA. Note the warning about installation procedure.

John Cardinal <jfcardinal@...>: Jun 29 07:29AM -0400

John,

Yes, ORA works with Chrome.

One confusing factor is ORA cannot be found by searching the Chrome Web
Store. You can only find it in the store by using the link provided on the
ORA Installation help page. That’s actually a good thing because ORA should
be installed by following those instructions, and the browser extension
install is the last step, not the first...

John

David Potter

Thank you John. I've now purchased ORA. What a fantastic research tool (and more). I can't think of anything this impressive for recording what/where you have seen something interesting and capturing the info.