FH Project Folder not updating on OneDrive

Sandra Blackburn

Yes, all the media has migrated OK and there are no  X marks showing on External File Links.
I should have realised the reason for the programme icon warnings - those programmes are not installed on the laptop - and I apologise for troubling you about those.
Thank you for your advice concerning Ancestral Sources.
I really am grateful for your help and hopefully I need not trouble you again, at least for a long time!
Regards, Sandra 

Mike Tate

One snag with synchronising your Desktop is all the icon shortcut paths must exist on both PC.

So presumably you have not installed Dropbox or Universalis or IrfanView on the laptop.

The options are to ignore the path does not exist warnings, install those three programs, or move those shortcuts to the Start menu or the Taskbar on your desktop PC.

The C:\Users\sandr\... shortcuts are because your account username on the laptop is different from sandr or perhaps you have not installed Zoom or Kindle on the laptop.

The solutions are much the same.

Alternatively, you could stop synchronising the Desktop icons via OneDrive.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sandra Blackburn
Sent: 28 May 2020 17:31
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] FH Project Folder not updating on OneDrive

Further to the above, I now have 5 laptop programme icons which say that "the specified path does not exist".  These paths should be:
C:Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe
C:Program Files\(x86)\Universalis\Universalis.exe
"C:Program Files\IrfanView\i_view64.exe"
C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\bin\zoom.exe
C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle.exe
Can you advise me how to restore these, please.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Mike Tate

No, you have effectively pre-empted those synchronisation instructions.

So your Projects should now automatically stay in sync.

But remember to only run FH on one PC at a time.

Whenever you change customisations you must repeat the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin process.

I presume all your Media have migrated OK?

i.e. You checked Tools > External File Links have no X marks.

If you use Ancestral Sources don’t forget to migrate that too, and only run AS on one PC at a time.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sandra Blackburn
Sent: 28 May 2020 16:58

All settings are now backed-up on the desktop and restored on the laptop.
Can you advise whether I now need to follow the Family Historian Synchronisation instructions in "Utility-Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive) or will both programmes automatically sync?
Thank you.

Sandra Blackburn

Further to the above, I now have 5 laptop programme icons which say that "the specified path does not exist".  These paths should be:
C:Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe
C:Program Files\(x86)\Universalis\Universalis.exe
"C:Program Files\IrfanView\i_view64.exe"
C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\bin\zoom.exe
C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle.exe
Can you advise me how to restore these, please.

Sandra Blackburn

All settings are now backed-up on the desktop and restored on the laptop.
Can you advise whether I now need to follow the Family Historian Synchronisation instructions in "Utility-Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive) or will both programmes automatically sync?
Thank you.

Mike Tate

Ok, no problem.

Now I suggest you work through the FHUG migration steps.

Check that the Tools > External File Links indicate no media problems.

Run the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin to backup on desktop and restore on laptop to migrate customisation settings.

But instead of transferring via USB pen drive you can, of course, use OneDrive.

Sent: 27 May 2020 21:25

You will be pleased to know that everything has synced fine and both desktop and laptop have the same folders/files and desktop icons.
Without your help I would never have got this sorted out and I am extremely grateful to you for your expertise and patience.
Regards, Sandra

Sandra Blackburn

You will be pleased to know that everything has synced fine and both desktop and laptop have the same folders/files and desktop icons.
Without your help I would never have got this sorted out and I am extremely grateful to you for your expertise and patience.
Regards, Sandra

Mike Tate

Ok, to prevent upsetting the desktop OneDrive folder you must sign out from your Windows account on the desktop PC.

Now sign in to your laptop PC account and delete the entire contents of the OneDrive folder but leave the OneDrive folder itself in place.

Start OneDrive and sign in to your OneDrive account.

Once signed in click the OneDrive cloud icon, then More ~ Settings

On the Settings tab ensure Files On-Demand is NOT ticked.

On the Back up tab use Manage back up to backup your Desktop, Documents & Pictures folders.

From now on those three folders will be kept synchronised with identical content on both PC.

Leave laptop to allow OneDrive to finish processing changes. It may take some time.

Eventually, the OneDrive folder and its Documents folder will look much the same as the desktop PC looked.

If anything looks unusual at this stage then let me know before proceeding.

When finished, sign in to your desktop PC and let OneDrive synchronise.

The Desktop icons on both PC will become merged and identical.

The Documents and Pictures folders on both PC will similarly merge.

Let me know when all that has completed.

Sent: 26 May 2020 17:38

Just to confirm I am happy to sync the Documents folder between desktop and laptop via OneDrive.

Sandra Blackburn

Just to confirm I am happy to sync the Documents folder between desktop and laptop via OneDrive.

Mike Tate

Sandra, why do you keep avoiding answering the question about synchronising the Documents folder across desktop and laptop via OneDrive?

Until I know the answer to that, I cannot advise you what to do next.

If the answer is NO then what you do will be different from if the answer is YES.

The whole point of this long dialogue is to use OneDrive to synchronise your desktop with your laptop from now onwards.

That avoids using the USB pen drive.

Sent: 26 May 2020 17:09

With reference to the laptop, when the FH programme was initially installed it populated from OneDrive with the old data, hence I have the out-of-date files on it now.  This was my initial reason for posting to this forum when I thought my OneDrive folder was not updating.
I unlinked OneDrive from the laptop when I realised what was happening and it remains unlinked.
I have identified that  there are four C:Users\sandr\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian......….image paths  in the downloaded Projects with DESKTOP-1AOM4SR in the path.  (This is the rogue we deleted on the desktop)
Can I delete these downloaded Projects so that I have a clean programme and then replace them from my up-to-date USB.
I am sorry to trouble you further with this but I can see light at the end of the tunnel now!
Thank you, Sandra

Sandra Blackburn

With reference to the laptop, when the FH programme was initially installed it populated from OneDrive with the old data, hence I have the out-of-date files on it now.  This was my initial reason for posting to this forum when I thought my OneDrive folder was not updating.
I unlinked OneDrive from the laptop when I realised what was happening and it remains unlinked.
I have identified that  there are four C:Users\sandr\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian......….image paths  in the downloaded Projects with DESKTOP-1AOM4SR in the path.  (This is the rogue we deleted on the desktop)
Can I delete these downloaded Projects so that I have a clean programme and then replace them from my up-to-date USB.
I am sorry to trouble you further with this but I can see light at the end of the tunnel now!
Thank you, Sandra

Mike Tate

Yes, you can populate the laptop FH directly via OneDrive. That was our original objective.

You won’t need to use a USB pen drive. Anyway, there are other steps you need before migrating to the laptop.

That is why I keep bashing on about you being happy to synchronise the Documents folder between desktop and laptop via OneDrive.

Thereafter, all the folders & files on both desktop and laptop will be identical within the OneDrive folder.

Whatever you change on one PC will happen to the other.

Please confirm before going any further.

Sent: 26 May 2020 16:25

I have checked OneDrive and 'C' drive for rogue files and they now seem to be clear.
I have also copied the FH Projects folder to a USB drive ready to transfer the data to the laptop but I think I need to check File Explorer first and the One Drive files on the laptop before I follow the Standard Migration steps in the Migration Guide.
I am assuming I cannot populate FH directly from OneDrive.
Regards, Sandra

Sandra Blackburn

I have checked OneDrive and 'C' drive for rogue files and they now seem to be clear.
I have also copied the FH Projects folder to a USB drive ready to transfer the data to the laptop but I think I need to check File Explorer first and the One Drive files on the laptop before I follow the Standard Migration steps in the Migration Guide.
I am assuming I cannot populate FH directly from OneDrive.
Regards, Sandra

Mike Tate

That is not actually a separate Project but a rogue file with that DESKTOP-1AOM4SR suffix you have overlooked when deleting such files.

It will be inside the …\Family Historian Sample Project\ folder somewhere.

The clue is the (Folder: Family Historian....) that says the file is sitting in that folder.

You need to look through all the folders in OneDrive to check for that suffix, and delete any with an old date.

Are you happy with the idea of synchronising an identical Documents folder across your desktop and laptop via OneDrive?

Regards, Mike Tate

Sent: 26 May 2020 15:04

I have worked through the above, Mike, and now all seems to be correct.  
However, the FH Project Window is showing two FH sample projects:
FH sample project DESKTOP-1AOM4SR (Folder: Family Historian....) dated 1.1.1971 and
FH sample project dated 11.2.20.
Can I delete the first sample project (which has the deleted old file ending) or should I leave it alone?
Many thanks, Sandra

Sandra Blackburn

I have worked through the above, Mike, and now all seems to be correct.  
However, the FH Project Window is showing two FH sample projects:
FH sample project DESKTOP-1AOM4SR (Folder: Family Historian....) dated 1.1.1971 and
FH sample project dated 11.2.20.
Can I delete the first sample project (which has the deleted old file ending) or should I leave it alone?
Many thanks, Sandra

Sandra Blackburn

Hello again Mike
The location of my FH File>Project Window is C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Family Historian Projects.

One Drive>Manage back up is now showing that the Desktop, Documents and Pictures are all backed up.

I have attached screenshots as requested and hope the folders are expanded enough for you to understand what is going on.  I think it will make my attempted folder description more comprehensible.

Many thanks, Sandra

Mike Tate

Thank you, Sandra, that makes much more sense.

OneDrive is now backing up your Windows default Documents folder.

So its path has changed from C:\Users\sandr\Documents to C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Documents.

The Documents folder shown in This PC is the same as the Documents folder in OneDrive.

If you right-click Documents in This PC and choose Properties you will see its Location is C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive.

So all your screenshots are showing the same C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sandra’s Tree_2017 Project.

That has folders and files dated 24/05/2020 that shows they were updated by FH very recently.

They all look perfectly OK, and the old files ending -DESKTOP-1AOM4SR dated 11/02/2020 can be safely deleted.

The one folder you have not shown is C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Family Historian Projects and that is the FH current Project Location.

If you have updated your Project in that Location since 24/05/2020 then tell me and ignore the instructions below.

I notice there are other Projects in that Location that hopefully have not been updated for some time.

If you have not updated any of your Projects in that Location since 24/05/2020 then that folder structure is redundant.

In FH File > Project Window click the blue path in Location and Reset Location to Installation Default i.e. My Documents\Family Historian Projects.

That now refers to C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects and you will need to reset your Default Project.

Your Projects should be fully functional in that default Location, which works because the Windows Documents folder has been relocated into OneDrive.

Now you can delete the C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Family Historian Projects folder, which I presume you copied into OneDrive some time ago.

If absolutely necessary it can be recovered from the Recycle Bin.

When you eventually synchronise OneDrive with your laptop you will probably use the same Manage back up settings.

Then the Documents, Desktop & Pictures folders and all their internal folders & files will become identical on both PC.

i.e. Those folders will be fully synchronised between your laptop and desktop PC via OneDrive.

Whatever you edit, save, delete on one PC will affect the other PC and the OneDrive cloud store in exactly the same way.

Are you comfortable with that?

I hope that all makes sense to you.

Regards, Mike Tate

Sent: 25 May 2020 21:57

Hello again Mike,
The Location of the FH File>Project Window is C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Family Historian Projects.
OneDrive settings - Manage back up is now showing that all files are backed up.  
I have attached four screenshots and hope these will enable you to make sense of my folder descriptions.  I wasn't sure how to paste these directly onto this message, hence the attachments.
I look forward to your comments.
Kind regards, Sandra

Sandra Blackburn

Hello again Mike,
The Location of the FH File>Project Window is C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Family Historian Projects.
OneDrive settings - Manage back up is now showing that all files are backed up.  
I have attached four screenshots and hope these will enable you to make sense of my folder descriptions.  I wasn't sure how to paste these directly onto this message, hence the attachments.
I look forward to your comments.
Kind regards, Sandra

Sandra Blackburn

Thank you for your very helpful comments, Randy.  I have only recently bought the laptop and I haven't yet used FH on it but when I do get it going properly I will ensure I do not have FH open on both devices.

Randy Dykhuis

Hi, Sandra. I've been following this thread with interest. Mike's advice is all good so I won't repeat anything. But I do want to emphasize the importance of opening only one version of FH at a time. I went through many of the problems you did when I started with FH and used OneDrive as the place to store my data. Through some rather painful trial and error, I discovered that I MUST completely exit FH on one computer before going to use it on the other. Even if you put one computer to sleep, without exiting FH completely, you run the risk of creating multiple project files, which leads nowhere good. I've gotten in the habit of always exiting FH when I'm leaving my computer, even if I intend to come back later that day. It's safer.

Also, I've found that OneDrive can be somewhat temperamental. On my laptop, it occasionally stops running, and I must manually restart (even though all documentation that I've read says this shouldn't be so).

But by and large, using OneDrive has allowed me to easily switch from desktop to laptop. Good luck.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 12:45 PM Sandra Blackburn <sandrablackburn15@...> wrote:
I have unticked the Files On-Demand setting and all folders in File Explorer, both OneDrive and PC, are now marked with a white tick on a green background icon.   When hovering over the OneDrive icon in the notification area of the task bar, it tells me all the files are up-to-date.  

I have now looked at the folders and files on OneDrive in File Explorer and to me the folder structure looks unusual.
Documents - FH Projects which has the following folders/files relating to my Project: 
Public 
Sandra's Tree_2017fh.data (24.5.2020)
Sandra's Tree_2017 (24.5.2020) [this is an extra folder which wasn't there before]
Sandra's Tree_2017-DESKTOP-1AOM4SR (11.2.2020) [my desktop].

Also on OneDrive there is a second FH Projects folder, not within the documents folder, which contains
Public
Sandra's Tree_2017.fh_data
(16.6.2018)
Sandra's Tree_2017 (16.6.2018)

Somehow I think another copy of FH Projects has been copied to OneDrive outside the Documents folder and it is this latter folder containing the old files which is, I think, causing all the problems.   Would it be safe to delete this copy Project from OneDrive as you will see from my next paragraph that the up-to-date folders and files are within the Documents folder on OneDrive (as they are in This PC.

Since unticking Files On-Demand I now have the following files in File Explorer, This PC - FH Project Sandra's Tree_2017fh.data (24.5.2020), Sandra's Tree_2017 (24.5.2020) [this is an extra folder which wasn't there before] and Sandra's Tree_2017-DESKTOP-1AOM4SR (11.2.2020) [my desktop].   I am assuming the extra file is the laptop Project file which I deleted.   If so, can I safely delete this folder too from here and from OneDrive?  Would it, perhaps, be a good idea to delete all FH Project files from OneDrive and let it sync these files from scratch?

Many thanks for helping me with this.  Regards, Sandra