Adopted Children how can they linked in?

Merrifield Alpacas

Hi,

I'm new to Historian and I have a relative who adopted her husband's daughter from a previous marriage at the moment I have her shown as a daughter to the 2nd wife.  I don't want to lose the daughter from my family tree though so can she have 2 mum's?

Robin Jordan

Yes – no problem at all.

Just highlight the person and then from the menu  Add/Parent/Add Another Set

I’ve found one of the strengths of FH is you seem always to be add duplicate info – such as birth date, death date, etc. whereas on some other packages you are limited to one.

Robin

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of admin@...
Sent: 23 May 2020 16:07
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Adopted Children how can they linked in?

Hi,

I'm new to Historian and I have a relative who adopted her husband's daughter from a previous marriage at the moment I have her shown as a daughter to the 2nd wife.  I don't want to lose the daughter from my family tree though so can she have 2 mum's?

Lorna Craig

Yes, FH allows people to have more than one set of parents.

View the child in the Focus Window, then click on 'Add more Relatives for <name>' just below the main panel.

Now select 'Add Parent'.  You will see a message saying this person already has parents, and do you want to add another set.

Click 'yes'.  Then click  'Link Existing Record'.  Select the new (adopting) mother from the list of existing records.

You will see one or more family records (husband and wife couples) in which the mother already exists.  This will include the family with the child's natural father.  Select this family and click OK.

In the new mother's Property Box, Main tab,  you will now see the child  in the list of children. Click in the 'Rel' column for the child and select 'More Options'.   You will now see a 'Select Relationship Type' window. Tick 'Specify relationship to each parent separately'.   Then set the Relationship to Father as 'Birth' and the Relationship to Mother as 'Adopted'.

Lorna

On 23/05/2020 16:07, admin@merrifield-alpacas.com wrote:
Hi,

Merrifield Alpacas

Thank you Lorna - I think I have done it now, lols!

Much appreciated,

Shirley

-----Original Message-----
From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lorna Craig via groups.io
Sent: 23 May 2020 20:08
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Adopted Children how can they linked in?

View the child in the Focus Window, then click on 'Add more Relatives for <name>' just below the main panel.

Now select 'Add Parent'. You will see a message saying this person already has parents, and do you want to add another set.

Click 'yes'. Then click 'Link Existing Record'. Select the new
(adopting) mother from the list of existing records.

You will see one or more family records (husband and wife couples) in which the mother already exists. This will include the family with the child's natural father. Select this family and click OK.

In the new mother's Property Box, Main tab, you will now see the child in the list of children. Click in the 'Rel' column for the child and select 'More Options'. You will now see a 'Select Relationship Type'
window. Tick 'Specify relationship to each parent separately'. Then set the Relationship to Father as 'Birth' and the Relationship to Mother as 'Adopted'.

Lorna

On 23/05/2020 16:07, admin@merrifield-alpacas.com wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to Historian and I have a relative who adopted her husband's
daughter from a previous marriage at the moment I have her shown as a
daughter to the 2nd wife. I don't want to lose the daughter from my
family tree though so can she have 2 mum's?

Merrifield Alpacas

Many thanks Robin I think I have now done it.

Regards,

Shirley

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Robin Jordan
Sent: 23 May 2020 19:52

Yes – no problem at all.

Just highlight the person and then from the menu  Add/Parent/Add Another Set

I’ve found one of the strengths of FH is you seem always to be add duplicate info – such as birth date, death date, etc. whereas on some other packages you are limited to one.

Robin

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of admin@...
Sent: 23 May 2020 16:07
Subject: [family-historian] Adopted Children how can they linked in?

Hi,

Victor Markham

Much really depends on the mother of the child. If the child is illegitimate then the father is not known. If the mother marries a man who is not the child's father then they both should be listed separately.

My grandfather, George Henry, was illegitimate and registered and baptised under his mother's maiden name of Briggs. His mother married Charles Markham and my grandfather had the Markham surname after that. Charles is not his father (I had a DNA test). The way I have set this up is shown below. When my grandfather married he did so under the Markham name and his children (my father) was baptised under that.

Have I misunderstood the question?

On 23/05/2020 8:07 pm, Lorna Craig via groups.io wrote:

Now select 'Add Parent'.  You will see a message saying this person already has parents, and do you want to add another set.

Click 'yes'.  Then click  'Link Existing Record'.  Select the new (adopting) mother from the list of existing records.

You will see one or more family records (husband and wife couples) in which the mother already exists.  This will include the family with the child's natural father.  Select this family and click OK.

In the new mother's Property Box, Main tab,  you will now see the child  in the list of children. Click in the 'Rel' column for the child and select 'More Options'.   You will now see a 'Select Relationship Type' window. Tick 'Specify relationship to each parent separately'.   Then set the Relationship to Father as 'Birth' and the Relationship to Mother as 'Adopted'.

Lorna

On 23/05/2020 16:07, admin@... wrote:
Hi,

Merrifield Alpacas

Thank you for coming back to me and this scenario is interesting and similar to another line of mine and so now I know where you can add adopted/birth etc it will be very useful.

But the query I had was a married couple had a daughter but sadly after a few years the wife died, then 4 years later the father remarries and the daughter is adopted by the second wife [I’m not actually sure though if this was done legally though].

Regards,

Shirley

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Victor Markham
Sent: 23 May 2020 21:04

Much really depends on the mother of the child. If the child is illegitimate then the father is not known. If the mother marries a man who is not the child's father then they both should be listed separately.

My grandfather, George Henry, was illegitimate and registered and baptised under his mother's maiden name of Briggs. His mother married Charles Markham and my grandfather had the Markham surname after that. Charles is not his father (I had a DNA test). The way I have set this up is shown below. When my grandfather married he did so under the Markham name and his children (my father) was baptised under that.

Lorna

Hi,

Victor Markham

Hi Shirley

Thanks for the clarification.

I would simply leave the daughter under her parents name. The father's new wife simply makes her the step mother of the daughter and has no blood connection. If she did adopt the daughter a mention of this could be made under notes of the daughter. I have not heard or see no reason why a step mother would adopt a child unless she is divorced from the child's father and wanted to take the child with her. If this did happen then a note of this could be mentioned in the daughter's name.

Victor

On 23/05/2020 10:00 pm, Merrifield Alpacas wrote:

Thank you for coming back to me and this scenario is interesting and similar to another line of mine and so now I know where you can add adopted/birth etc it will be very useful.

But the query I had was a married couple had a daughter but sadly after a few years the wife died, then 4 years later the father remarries and the daughter is adopted by the second wife [I’m not actually sure though if this was done legally though].

Regards,

Shirley

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Victor Markham

Lorna

Hi,

David Dewick

There is possibly a good reason for a step parent to adopt in that unless a will has been made, a step child does not inherit the step parent’s estate, even if this was what was intended. I lost my inheritance this way.

On 24 May 2020, at 10:58, Victor Markham <victor@...> wrote:

Hi Shirley

I would simply leave the daughter under her parents name. The father's new wife simply makes her the step mother of the daughter and has no blood connection. If she did adopt the daughter a mention of this could be made under notes of the daughter. I have not heard or see no reason why a step mother would adopt a child unless she is divorced from the child's father and wanted to take the child with her. If this did happen then a note of this could be mentioned in the daughter's name.

Victor

Regards,

Shirley

<image001.png>

Lorna

Hi,

Merrifield Alpacas

Thanks Victor.  I don’t suppose you have experienced any saving of data issues?  I have been using the Full Backup facility and having spent a full day on data gathering and entry yesterday discovered this morning its all gone despite having used both the Full Backup and the save icon a number of times throughout yesterday.  Feeing preety hacked off at the moment.

Regards,

Shirley

Sent: 24 May 2020 09:52

Hi Shirley

Victor

Regards,

Shirley

Lorna

Hi,

Mike Tate

Shirley,

Save and Backup are completely different, and there are also Snapshots saved.

Please start a new posting and we will be able to recover most if not all your data.

Regards, Mike Tate (tatewise)

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Merrifield Alpacas
Sent: 24 May 2020 11:21

Thanks Victor.  I don’t suppose you have experienced any saving of data issues?  I have been using the Full Backup facility and having spent a full day on data gathering and entry yesterday discovered this morning its all gone despite having used both the Full Backup and the save icon a number of times throughout yesterday.  Feeing preety hacked off at the moment.

Regards,

Shirley

Virus-free. www.avast.com