Where in the folder structure should the Media file be?

peter@...

I have been using Mike's excellent plugin to fill in gaps (which in most cases aren't gaps but I'm doing the Census entries a second time to repair that).

In the process I found I couldn't locate my Census\1911 folder but I knew it was there from within Ancestral Sources.  It was there sure enough.  I have found now that I have two copies of the Media folder, one at:

\...\PW Family History\Media and the second at \...\PW Family History\PW Family History\PW Family History.fh_data\Media

I can only think this happened when I rebuilt a crashed Windows 10 computer 18 months ago.  I have found other threads that tell me what to do when merging but I don't know which is the correct location.  The larger and most complete folder is the first one in the structure but FH is looking at the one on the end of the file structure.

Could someone tell me please?  It probably answers the question to as to why the plugin is reporting missing census entries which when you look in the Properties\facts folder exist.

--
Peter Williams

Neil Grantham

Peter

Normal structure should be

In my case, this is OneDrive, so I can access the project from my PC and my laptop.

Default install of the Sample project, under Windows 10 would be
D:\Users\<your login id>\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian Sample Project\Family Historian Sample Project.fh_data\Media

Best Wishes,

Neil

On Friday, 15 May 2020, 11:29:34 BST, peter@... <peter@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Tate

Peter,

The preferred path for the Media folder is the second ...\PW Family History\PW Family History.fh_data\Media

However, media files can exist anywhere on disk and be linked into your Project Media Records.

The easiest way to be certain which media files are being used is to use Tools > External File Links.

Those File Links that involve the C drive or any other drive letter are NOT using the preferred Media folder.

Those that start Project Data Folder – Media are correctly using the preferred folder.

Any with an X instead of the usual yellow icon are broken links indicating missing media files.

If you can provide feedback on what you find, with a screenshot would help, then we can explain how to fix things.

Regarding the Lookup Missing Census Facts Plugin, it only inspects Census Events and does NOT involve Source records or Media.

So if the Plugin says Census Events are missing for specific Census years then they either don’t exist or have the wrong Date.

Regards, Mike Tate

[...]

Mike

Thank your very much for the advice and especially to link to Tools> External File Links which I have come across before but never connected with resolving the problem I had..  I think I'm well on the way to reorganizing and tidying up the data sets (fingers crossed).
--
Peter