From: jamespam1 <jamespam1@...>
To: family-historian <family-historian@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 12:26
Subject: [family-historian] Creating your own website

After much prevarication I have had a go at using the FH 'create a website' tool and found it remarkably easy to use. I now want to produce a page which profiles particularly interesting family members with a written account of their life and photo's but I don't know how to proceed. Any ideas would be welcome.
Are their links to FH users websites that illustrate what can be done?

PS - I really like this new @group.io

Jane Taubman

After much prevarication I have had a go at using the FH 'create a website' tool and found it remarkably easy to use. I now want to produce a page which profiles particularly interesting family members with a written account of their life and photo's but I don't know how to proceed. Any ideas would be welcome.
Are their links to FH users websites that illustrate what can be done?

You can see a variety of Websites from Family Historian users here

You can add any "manually" written pages to the table of contents page in the page wizard,   if you generate the site and then copy the index page to a new page you can use an editor like Blue Griffon to change the content.

Alternately you can add Individual narrative reports to the table of contents for the more interesting people.   Don't forget you can add notes to every fact and customise the sentences to give the automatic reports a better flow.
--

Paul Tanner-Tremaine

Evelyn, I am not sure what you mean by "There are limitations to trees created within genealogy software".  I have a master project in Family Historian 6.2.7 with

    Individual Records:171697
    Family Records: 57614
    Note Records: 614
    Source Records: 3722
    Repository Records: 105
    Submitter Records: 3
    Submission Records: 0
    Media Records: 8001
    Place Records: 18492

I export the gedcom into a TNG based website : https://www.1820settlers.com at least every fortnight with complete updates, and have yet to find any limitations within either piece of software!  I have also added many extra pages, features and functions to the TNG based software as you will see on the website.

Evelyn and Christopher Wilcock <eandcw@...>

Sorry. I meant limitations to websites created  within the genealogy software.
But Jane is expert and if she says you can do what you want with fh that is fine.
Apologies. I was only suggesting a way of doing what you want if it cant be accomplished in fh.
Evelyn

Evelyn, I am not sure what you mean by "There are limitations to trees created within genealogy software".  I have a master project in Family Historian 6.2.7 with
    Individual Records:171697
    Family Records: 57614
    Note Records: 614
    Source Records: 3722
    Repository Records: 105
    Submitter Records: 3
    Submission Records: 0
    Media Records: 8001
    Place Records: 18492
I export the gedcom into a TNG based website : https://www.1820settlers.com at least every fortnight with complete updates, and have yet to find any limitations within either piece of software!  I have also added many extra pages, features and functions to the TNG based software as you will see on the website.

James Pam

Jane could you go into a little more detail on how to create 'manually' written pages.
I assume you can use Word to do that work but that you have to use a web editor to convert it to a web page. Having looked at Blue Griffin I don't think I have the technical expertise to know where to start. Is there a simpler web editor available?

James

Jane Taubman

Blue griffin is about as simple as they get.   Word is dreadful,  but you can use it of you really want to just save the page as html.

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 at 17:40, James Pam <jamespam1@...> wrote:
Jane could you go into a little more detail on how to create 'manually' written pages.
I assume you can use Word to do that work but that you have to use a web editor to convert it to a web page. Having looked at Blue Griffin I don't think I have the technical expertise to know where to start. Is there a simpler web editor available?

James

James Pam

Jane I have downloaded Blue Griffon. It seems much easier to use than I was expecting. But how do you wrap text round an image?

Jane Taubman

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 at 18:59, James Pam <jamespam1@...> wrote:
Jane I have downloaded Blue Griffon. It seems much easier to use than I was expecting. But how do you wrap text round an image?
_.

Blue Griffon is an html editor,  so just google for wrap text in html.

This list is not the place to ask about non Family Historian Products if you want to ask questions about off topic subjects try the General forum on FHUG.