Add GRO Source

Tom Beckham

Is anyone using this plug in? Trying to get it to function,  but getting confused as it requests at the start to select 3 sources. Put it down to my age,  but not sure what the plug in requires me to do to get started.

Jane Taubman

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 15:18, Tom Beckham via Groups.Io <westbeckham=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Is anyone using this plug in? Trying to get it to function,  but getting confused as it requests at the start to select 3 sources. Put it down to my age,  but not sure what the plug in requires me to do to get started.
_

You need to create the "core" sources for GRO index entries,  eg  "UK General Record Office -Birth Register" etc

Once you have created the sources make a note of the numbers and enter them when prompted.

Then you can enter the information and it will add a citation to the selected source for each entry.

-

Mike Tate

Hi Tom,

The Plugin assumes you have three Source records; one for each of 1) Birth GRO Index, 2) Marriage GRO Index, 3) Death GRO Index.

Then when you find any BMD GRO Index for an Individual the Plugin knows which of those three Source records to cite against the event.

So if you have not created those three Source records beforehand you cannot respond to those Plugin prompts.

It also presumes you know what UK BMD GRO Index records are all about.

Regards, Mike Tate

Is anyone using this plug in? Trying to get it to function,  but getting confused as it requests at the start to select 3 sources. Put it down to my age,  but not sure what the plug in requires me to do to get started.

_._,_._,_

Alan Hourd

That reminds me that I started entering GRO records into one Source, many (20?) years ago, rather than 3 separate sources. Then, much later, it occurred to me that the approach was untidy and started using three sources for GRO births, marriages and deaths. I have never attempted to extract the references from the "bulk" GRO Source to move them into the separate sources.  Is there a simple way to do that - or would I have to move details one by one from the bulk to separate sources?

Alan Hourd

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 16:09, Alan Hourd <alan.hourd@...> wrote:
Is there a simple way to do that - or would I have to move details one by one from the bulk to separate sources?

You might be able to write a plugin to convert them if you have been consistent in entering the Where With in Source.

--

Alan Hourd

Consistent?  In my dreams! I started using FH v. 2.0.7, or earlier - I still have the 2.0.7 CD. Much of my data came from FTM but included little in the way of sources. I don't think AS was around until some time after that and I seem to remember AS didn't handle BMDs initially.  Still, a lot of the information is there, even if the apparent sources are mixed up. It was just a thought.

Alan

On 07/02/2020 16:14:20, Jane Taubman <janetaubman@...> wrote:

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 16:09, Alan Hourd <alan.hourd@...> wrote:
Is there a simple way to do that - or would I have to move details one by one from the bulk to separate sources?

You might be able to write a plugin to convert them if you have been consistent in entering the Where With in Source.

Take a look at the Replace Selected Source Citations Plugin that may do what you want if there are criteria to differentiate B from M from D.

Any automated process has to have some way of distinguishing those three categories somehow.

Regards, Mike Tate

Is anyone using this plug in? Trying to get it to function,  but getting confused as it requests at the start to select 3 sources. Put it down to my age,  but not sure what the plug in requires me to do to get started.

_._,_._,_

Lorna Craig

I don’t know how many times your general GRO source has been used, but I suggest you download and run the plugin called “List all Citations for a Source”.   In the Results Set you can double-click on each cell in the Items column to open the Property Box with the focus on the relevant fact.  You could change a few each day!

Lorna

Consistent?  In my dreams! I started using FH v. 2.0.7, or earlier - I still have the 2.0.7 CD. Much of my data came from FTM but included little in the way of sources. I don't think AS was around until some time after that and I seem to remember AS didn't handle BMDs initially.  Still, a lot of the information is there, even if the apparent sources are mixed up. It was just a thought.

Alan

On 07/02/2020 16:14:20, Jane Taubman <janetaubman@...> wrote:

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 16:09, Alan Hourd <alan.hourd@...> wrote:

Is there a simple way to do that - or would I have to move details one by one from the bulk to separate sources?

You might be able to write a plugin to convert them if you have been consistent in entering the Where With in Source.

--

Alan Hourd

The Replace Selected Source Citations plugin worked fine after a little editing and a backup of the Gedcom. A check with the List All Citations plugin revealed a half a dozen citations that were still in the wrong place because of errors in the original entries.

Thanks Mike and Lorna.

Alan