Add GRO Source

Tom Beckham

Is anyone using this plug in? Trying to get it to function,  but getting confused as it requests at the start to select 3 sources. Put it down to my age,  but not sure what the plug in requires me to do to get started. 

Jane Taubman

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 15:18, Tom Beckham via Groups.Io <westbeckham=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Is anyone using this plug in? Trying to get it to function,  but getting confused as it requests at the start to select 3 sources. Put it down to my age,  but not sure what the plug in requires me to do to get started. 
_

You need to create the "core" sources for GRO index entries,  eg  "UK General Record Office -Birth Register" etc

Once you have created the sources make a note of the numbers and enter them when prompted.

Then you can enter the information and it will add a citation to the selected source for each entry.

-

Mike Tate

Hi Tom,

The Plugin assumes you have three Source records; one for each of 1) Birth GRO Index, 2) Marriage GRO Index, 3) Death GRO Index.

Then when you find any BMD GRO Index for an Individual the Plugin knows which of those three Source records to cite against the event.

So if you have not created those three Source records beforehand you cannot respond to those Plugin prompts.

It also presumes you know what UK BMD GRO Index records are all about.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Beckham via Groups.Io
Sent: 07 February 2020 15:18
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Add GRO Source

_._,_._,_

Alan Hourd

That reminds me that I started entering GRO records into one Source, many (20?) years ago, rather than 3 separate sources. Then, much later, it occurred to me that the approach was untidy and started using three sources for GRO births, marriages and deaths. I have never attempted to extract the references from the "bulk" GRO Source to move them into the separate sources.  Is there a simple way to do that - or would I have to move details one by one from the bulk to separate sources?

Alan Hourd

On 07/02/2020 15:28:05, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Tom,

The Plugin assumes you have three Source records; one for each of 1) Birth GRO Index, 2) Marriage GRO Index, 3) Death GRO Index.

Then when you find any BMD GRO Index for an Individual the Plugin knows which of those three Source records to cite against the event.

So if you have not created those three Source records beforehand you cannot respond to those Plugin prompts.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Beckham via Groups.Io

_._,_._,_

Jane Taubman

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 16:09, Alan Hourd <alan.hourd@...> wrote:
Is there a simple way to do that - or would I have to move details one by one from the bulk to separate sources?

You might be able to write a plugin to convert them if you have been consistent in entering the Where With in Source.

--

Alan Hourd

Consistent?  In my dreams! I started using FH v. 2.0.7, or earlier - I still have the 2.0.7 CD. Much of my data came from FTM but included little in the way of sources. I don't think AS was around until some time after that and I seem to remember AS didn't handle BMDs initially.  Still, a lot of the information is there, even if the apparent sources are mixed up. It was just a thought.

Alan

On 07/02/2020 16:14:20, Jane Taubman <janetaubman@...> wrote:

Is there a simple way to do that - or would I have to move details one by one from the bulk to separate sources?

You might be able to write a plugin to convert them if you have been consistent in entering the Where With in Source.

--

Mike Tate

Take a look at the Replace Selected Source Citations Plugin that may do what you want if there are criteria to differentiate B from M from D.

Any automated process has to have some way of distinguishing those three categories somehow.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Hourd
Sent: 07 February 2020 16:09
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Add GRO Source

That reminds me that I started entering GRO records into one Source, many (20?) years ago, rather than 3 separate sources. Then, much later, it occurred to me that the approach was untidy and started using three sources for GRO births, marriages and deaths. I have never attempted to extract the references from the "bulk" GRO Source to move them into the separate sources.  Is there a simple way to do that - or would I have to move details one by one from the bulk to separate sources?

Alan Hourd

Hi Tom,

Regards, Mike Tate

_._,_._,_

Lorna Craig

I don’t know how many times your general GRO source has been used, but I suggest you download and run the plugin called “List all Citations for a Source”.   In the Results Set you can double-click on each cell in the Items column to open the Property Box with the focus on the relevant fact.  You could change a few each day!

Lorna

Sent: 07 February 2020 17:42

Consistent?  In my dreams! I started using FH v. 2.0.7, or earlier - I still have the 2.0.7 CD. Much of my data came from FTM but included little in the way of sources. I don't think AS was around until some time after that and I seem to remember AS didn't handle BMDs initially.  Still, a lot of the information is there, even if the apparent sources are mixed up. It was just a thought.

Alan

On 07/02/2020 16:14:20, Jane Taubman <janetaubman@...> wrote:

--

Alan Hourd

The Replace Selected Source Citations plugin worked fine after a little editing and a backup of the Gedcom. A check with the List All Citations plugin revealed a half a dozen citations that were still in the wrong place because of errors in the original entries. 

Thanks Mike and Lorna.

Alan

On 07/02/2020 19:02:05, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Take a look at the Replace Selected Source Citations Plugin that may do what you want if there are criteria to differentiate B from M from D.

Any automated process has to have some way of distinguishing those three categories somehow.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Hourd
Sent: 07 February 2020 16:09

Alan Hourd

Hi Tom,

Regards, Mike Tate

_._,_._,_

Jane Taubman

Personally I don't attach media to GRO Indexes,  so the plugin is not designed to work with them, but that looks OK.  Although "Add GRO Source" I thought put everything in one line.

BTW To send emails to group.io just email family-historian@groups.io

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 15:56, Tom Beckham <westbeckham@...> wrote:

Hello Jane, 

I tried to send this via the new group but no success, it registered as a zero file size and would not send.  I then sent as a private message but not sure this worked either. 

---------------
Thank you for your help reference the GRO Plug in. It worked first time after trying out your suggestion. One question for which I would appreciate a further comment before I use the plug in further. 

I hopefully enclose a bad screen shot of the source windows after the plug in was used. I could not attach an image in the normal way but had to resort to a camera snap of the screen.

All the data was from the plug in except the text from source which was manually input. Is this correct and also does the data look as it should?
Thanks again

Tom Beckham 

SDCann

I'm fairly new to all this, but I created Sources for GRO Births, marriages and deaths, separately. I the create a citation using the relevant source and quote the index data in the citation.

Is this a Good way to do it?

Thanks,

Steve.

Sheila Bryant

Steve, I do hope so - it's what I do!!!

Cheers

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 22:23, SDCann <sdcann@...> wrote:
I'm fairly new to all this, but I created Sources for GRO Births, marriages and deaths, separately. I the create a citation using the relevant source and quote the index data in the citation.

Thanks,

Steve.

--
Sheila

Mike Tate

Hi Steve,

Yes, that sounds good. Presumably you are adding the Citations to the Birth, Marriage & Death events respectively.

There is also a Plugin that helps with that process.

However, if you order the BMD Certificates then a slightly different method is often better.

There was a recent discussion thread in the FHUG Forums on exactly this topic of Sources and Citations and the Add GRO Source plugin:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17444

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=16641

You can join up for free.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of SDCann
Sent: 21 February 2020 22:14

Thanks,

Steve.

Trevor Rix

As I don't use traditional sources and citations, I use this method to record entries from GRO indexes. For example, "Q3 1869" for the date; and "Sudbury registration district" for the place. That information can only come from the GRO indexes. That's it -- plain and simple.

Victor Markham

Not quite.

Information comes from local registration offices which sends the details to GRO. Not all details arrive some are missing. The marriages of my mother's two sisters are not in the GRO index. They were married in the 1930's. Fortunately I guessed which church they married in and found the details at the local history centre which has the parish records

Having a copy from the local registration centre is a copy of the full certificate albeit in black and white.

If you visit https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ you will get details of where the marriage took place..register office or name of church in addition to the local register office reference number which is different from the GRO number

Victor

On 23/02/2020 4:29 pm, Trevor Rix wrote:
As I don't use traditional sources and citations, I use this method to record entries from GRO indexes. For example, "Q3 1869" for the date; and "Sudbury registration district" for the place. That information can only come from the GRO indexes. That's it -- plain and simple.

John Hanson

Victor
UKBMD does not have all of the counties – mainly in the north of England and depends on whether the local family history society can find the volunteers and whether the Registrar will agree

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham
Sent: 23 February 2020 17:45

Not quite.

Information comes from local registration offices which sends the details to GRO. Not all details arrive some are missing. The marriages of my mother's two sisters are not in the GRO index. They were married in the 1930's. Fortunately I guessed which church they married in and found the details at the local history centre which has the parish records

Having a copy from the local registration centre is a copy of the full certificate albeit in black and white.

If you visit https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ you will get details of where the marriage took place..register office or name of church in addition to the local register office reference number which is different from the GRO number

Victor

Victor Markham

Yes that is correct. It is increasing and more local register offices are agreeing.

Just because all counties are not covered doesn't mean one should not check

One can check what is available on https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd

UKBMD also has a Facebook group

Victor

On 23/02/2020 5:52 pm, John Hanson wrote:

Victor
UKBMD does not have all of the counties – mainly in the north of England and depends on whether the local family history society can find the volunteers and whether the Registrar will agree

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham
Sent: 23 February 2020 17:45

Not quite.

Victor

Tom Beckham

Hello Steve, 

I am using the same method, with separate entries for the Birth , Marriage and Death.  The particular book is where the data is found and the index data is the citation. 

Tom 

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 10:23 pm SDCann, <sdcann@...> wrote:

Thanks,

Steve.

SDCann

Thanks, Mike. Very helpful.

Steve.